Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I don't get it....

Posted by Bones45 

I don't get it....
June 18, 2004 12:00AM
No, not that...

Golf...I can understand playing it. Its mildly entertaining...Slicing a little white ball into the trees and searching for it..Have a beer while looking then end up in the sand trap. Go to the 19th hole and have more beer. Yes..Good Times.

But now people (and media) lose their minds for it here in NY. For the out-of-towners, the US Open is on Long Island out in the Hamptons this weekend. Shinnecock is the town. Now I like saying the word Shinnecock as much as the next person, but all networks have on-site sports casters---traffic is jammed up all day everyday, and 30 minute specials on the US open.

And the topper? People drive in traffic to get there, then stand in the sun and watch people hit a white ball? Pay $19 for a visor (im not exagerrating on that one), probably $7 for a hot dog---and then yesterday, have a monsoon shorten play...

Yeah...sounds like a delightful day...Ill be at the pool....
Re: I don't get it....
June 18, 2004 12:25AM
I agree, Scott. I mean, I have a blast playing myself (right Erin/Katie/Hilary/Hol?), but I don't understand the concept of watching it. And I *hate* that the US Open is out in the Hamptons. My eye doctor is in Southampton, and I had surgery at Southampton Hospital last month, and drove through Shinnecock almost every week. And the traffic caused by the construction? Oh my GOD, it was hell. I was almost late for my own damn surgery because of the traffic.

My mom's boyfriend is working the US Open, though, and says that Tiger Woods is a huuuuuge bastard, which makes me laugh for some reason.

~lori~
June 18, 2004 12:49AM
Golf is for the elderly, doctors, and the difficult-to-bore. And I say that solely based on the fact that I suck at it.

Stupid golf...

June 18, 2004 02:28AM
Yea, i agree. I tried caddying last summer, and even the great money couldn't keep me from quitting. It is just so boring.

---Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost, What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind---
June 18, 2004 04:41AM
Love playing it. Can watch it if it's live. But on TV, I'd sooner tear my eyes out.

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
June 18, 2004 04:49AM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
June 18, 2004 05:42AM
i never will understand the appeal of golf...really it's beyond me

Rock on...
Kevin

I wanna be with you forever, and tomorrows not too late...

"Beware the fury of a patient man" ~John Dryden
June 18, 2004 06:51AM
pre-nd show golfing is the best. and the h sisters are far too good to have never gone driving before

shinnecock hills is an awesome course...ive never played real golf, and i absolutely hate watching it, but that golf course is quite entertaining in the middle of the night...

*~katie~*
June 18, 2004 07:14AM
ya, driving ranges are fun sometimes but golf is a snooze

Rock on...
Kevin

June 18, 2004 08:48AM
Considering the fact that I've lived next door to a golf course since I was two years old, I can see the appeal in golf.

It's not a spectator sport really though, in my opinion. But like nearly any physical activity that can win one lots of money, it's fun to keep statistics and track of it, which is why the sportscasters are going nuts.

Golf is rad. Don't knock it until you've tried it.
June 18, 2004 09:49AM
I don't get it either... how people can watch it. I really don't know about playing it though, I've never really done it. I have done mini golf though. I think I'd find that more enjoyable than the real thing.

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies it's compromise that moves us along"
June 18, 2004 10:12AM
haha, mini golf owns. my short game is superb with roller coasters, skyscrapers, crazy clown faces, and castles being taken into consideration as terrain. I'm a little weak at the water jumps, but other than that.....

ya, i'm really not that obsessive over mini golf but i do enjoy playing it. we have this really cool indoor one that is "glow-in-the-dark" which is pretty cool then another outdoor one like literally within sight of it down the road. this is all like 5 minutes from my house, so we keep ourselves entertained on the weekends.

wow, that turned into a longer post than i intended...on mini-golf nonetheless

Rock on...
Kevin

June 19, 2004 10:11PM
Random crap that I know: Golf started because ages and ages ago shepards used to get bored, so they would take their crooks and try to hit stones and rabbit holes. Don't ask me how I know that. Not entirely sure. Anyway, how the hell do you expect to create an interesting game from that??

Until I was about 8 I used to get dragged round golf courses with my family all summer because all my family play except me. I find it funny how I've only played it once and I beat my mum who'd been playing for 3 years. But yeh, hate it.

On the other hand, crazy golf/mini golf/whatever you like to call it is great! Like the clowns in particular.

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
June 20, 2004 05:29AM
my grandpa was on the semi-pro circut in new england for a number of years, but the genes must have skipped me....my dad doesn't really golf either

Rock on...
Kevin

June 20, 2004 05:36AM
Be glad. Be very very glad. It turns people crazy and boring.

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π