ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Brian Desveaux Solo Album Cover Art

Posted by Sketch01 

Brian Desveaux Solo Album Cover Art
October 18, 2005 06:06AM
So I'm doing an animation project in Uni, this image is something I've rendered for its development, I thought it was kinda neat... so I turned it into album art.

The shapes are a 3D visualisation of the graphic bars that represent music, which is Brians profession, and the nine bar arrangement sort of resembles a mini city (scape), which he lives in... as far as I'm aware.

(You can figure out for yourself why there might be nine of the bars.)

I thought it was cool. So here it is:

It's not properly cropped or sized or anything to be CD case worthy, and the rendered resolution is actually for broadcast, not for print. (So don't blame me if you print it and it looks shit.) But it looks quite nice as it stands on screen... so I'm sharing it.

Post Edited (10-18-05 15:31)
Re: Brian Desveaux Solo Album Cover Art
October 18, 2005 06:27AM
A different perspective render for the reverse. Obviously the lines would be replaced with titles. Again, this isn't optimised for print, nor have I meticulously made sure that the numbers are in any real alignment. I'm just toying with graphic concepts...

October 18, 2005 07:01AM
very nice man.

now only brian should record the songs...

01/ Suddenly (a brown eyed girl)
02/ Smile Again
03/ Good News
04/ Day By Day
05/ Angels On Vacation
06/ Spotlights
07/ Arteries
08/ Where Are My Friends
09/ Absolutely Everything
10/ The Night They Drove
11/ Subway Musician

I'm sure there are great new songs that I don't know...
October 18, 2005 07:31AM
Oooh. Me likey. If there were liner notes, you could have a close up of one of the blocks from just off straight-on with lyrics going along the walls. (Random thought: the 'brian' bit would be more visable in white.)

It looks really cool, Sketch. And it's very Brian-sounding. He sound so bluuee. *Goes to listen to Day by Day*

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
October 18, 2005 07:56AM
I didn't want to break up the image by slapping white font over the blue graphic Sofi.

I also liked that the contrast between the graphic backing and the white backing of the font gives the illusion that there is a significant break between the two words, when there isn't. I liked the subtlety of that.

Finally, to my mind 'Desveaux' is the more important of the two words to associate with the viewer. There are many 'Brian's. I know of only one 'Desveaux'.

That's the bit you want a fan to recognise and associate a unique voice to. (Plus there's the added bonus that if you emphasize the surname the majority might actually begin to spell it correctly...)

People spell my surname wrong all the time... and I'm not even throwing a 'u' or an 'x' into the mix!

So those were my thoughts on that. Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you both like it.

Post Edited (10-19-05 10:09)
October 18, 2005 12:50PM
I like it, what programme did you use to make it?

Rock on...
Kevin

I wanna be with you forever, and tomorrows not too late...

"Beware the fury of a patient man" ~John Dryden
October 19, 2005 12:04AM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
October 19, 2005 12:48AM
Kevin, the scene stills were constructed and rendered in 'Alias Maya' and I did a bit of post production in 'Adobe Photoshop' to clean it up. The font I use is 'Adobe (Opentype) Myriad Pro : Regular'.

You could use free software like 'Blender' and 'Gimp' to achieve a similar look at no cost. However that fontype family isn't free and retails at $229.00!

To make it a little more interesting and to make 'Desveaux' that extra bit legible to a new audience, there are breaks between each of the letters on the layer.

It's a simple trick, but it's nifty.

Post Edited (10-19-05 10:07)
October 19, 2005 04:42AM
It looks very cool, it's intresting. What uni do you go to and are you doing a degree in animation?

Post Edited (10-19-05 13:44)

http://www.hyperlaunch.com/snowpatrol/eyesopen/

***It's hard to argue when your making sense***
October 19, 2005 05:00AM
Lincoln U. Yes, but I'm fond of all kinds of design.

Post Edited (10-19-05 14:04)
October 19, 2005 11:34AM
Yea I like it a lot. photoshop is ace when it comes to album art, we did an asignment last year where we had to make album art. I did one for a Best of Ninedays type of complilation, which looked pretty sweet. lot of fun

gotta give it to you though, you seem to know your stuff way better than I. very nice

Rock on...
Kevin

I wanna be with you forever, and tomorrows not too late...

"Beware the fury of a patient man" ~John Dryden
October 21, 2005 03:10AM
on the topic of brian desveaux: can somebody somehow send me the song Spotlights? dubbedub@hotmail.com

liking the artwork ^

October 21, 2005 06:16AM
great artwork indeed! Nice job.

Post this image everywhere you can, in avatars, signatures, just everywhere
October 21, 2005 10:15PM
Thats way cool, nice one!

Si

'Dignity consists not in possessing honors, but in the consciousness that we deserve them' - Aristotle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π