ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Label

Posted by bryan 

Label
February 19, 2007 02:00PM
Is nine days signed with any major label right now? For everyone's sake, i hope not.
Re: Label
February 19, 2007 02:22PM
no

Brian
February 19, 2007 05:28PM
For everyone's sake?? What is that supposed to mean...

~Kevin~
February 19, 2007 09:19PM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
February 20, 2007 02:27AM
Not if you're Mariah Carey.

Who is on the cover of Playboy, apparently.

Sup with that.

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
February 20, 2007 03:14AM
The only difference between major labels and indies is that majors stab you in the back with a more expensive knife. In truth they can both be as bad as each other. As Elliot Smith once said, "...despite the fact that sometimes people look at major labels as simply money-making machines, they're actually composed of individuals who are real people, and there's a part of them that needs to feel that part of their job is to put out good music."

February 20, 2007 03:30AM
I don't think it would matter for a band like Nine Days.

it's not that they are a new band with young musicians that a major label can take and change their sound and vibe.
they are experienced enough and know how they would like to sound, and a major label will sign them because of their style and not from an intention to change it, at least i belive so.
i think many of us here refer to The Madding Crowd as the most important (or the favorite) of the Nine Days records - don't forget that they recorded it when they were signed with Epic.
personally, my favorite is So Happily Unsatisfied - i really like the sound there and they recorded it also when Epic was in the picture.

So - i don't think a major label would change the Nine Days sound at all, it will just make it easier for them (they will be able to be in the recording studio a lot more time - studio time costs money, and there will be a bigger tour, i guess), and let's not forget that they are very talented people that deserve to earn a lot of money for the music they make.

i know that all of us think that major labels suck, because the whole Sony-Epic drama, and the fact that a lot of them release crap music, but i think that if a label would be smart enough to sign Nine Days it will be good to the band and to the fans as well.

maybe i'm wrong and the band dosen't want it at all (some of the have familys now, and maybe touring around the calender dosen't fit right now), and even if it won't happen it's not a bad thing. i love their music - label or non-label - and i don't care how they release it, i know i will buy a lot of it.
that's it. comments anyone?
February 20, 2007 06:34AM
February 26, 2007 02:02AM
Im sorry I read all of your comments and im sad to say that i mostly disagree with all of you. I just saw nine days at BBKings in new york and they are still amazing, but the fact that they have no label just goes to show you that labels do make the difference. The show was practically empty, i felt so bad for them. They are such talented musicians, more talented then many of the groups out there right now making it big. If they had support from a higher level, their music would be everywhere, and their fan base would expand. As much as all of you hate to admit it, in order for a band to survive in this business, they need the public attention, and they need to sell albums. The fact that their music is simply going unnoticed just goes to prove my point.

H
February 26, 2007 04:00AM
February 26, 2007 04:01AM
February 26, 2007 04:13AM
You're glossing over the simple fact that Nine Days did have a major record deal back in the Madding Crowd/ So Happily Unsatisfied days. Having a label and having label support are clearly very different things. They don't just wave a magic wand for you that makes you the biggest band in the world.

Maybe a new record deal would help boost the band's profile, or maybe they'd get shafted again, lose money and an album and call it quits.
For better or for worse the guys have decided that they don't want to go through that **** again, and I can't say I blame them.

edit: btw this wasn't in response to you, Genesis. I just took ages writing it!

Post Edited (02-26-07 13:16)

February 26, 2007 04:59AM
February 28, 2007 03:25AM
what did sony exactly do to them..i dont really know the story
February 28, 2007 04:22AM
you just asked the million dollar question...

in shortness - they sent the guys to record an amazing album called So Happily Unsatisfied (can be downloaded legally and free from http://ninedaysmusic.com/store.html), and when the album was finished and ready to be released they decided to drop the band and they owned the rights to it so the band couldn't release it for a very long time...
February 28, 2007 06:27AM
but why did sony screw them? what was the arguement? they just didnt like the CD?
February 28, 2007 08:02AM
i think no one really knows... it's hard to belive they didn't like the CD because that cd is so good and rocky
February 28, 2007 05:40PM
March 01, 2007 12:42AM
maybe the band could tell us???
March 01, 2007 03:17AM
Their a&r man said "I don't hear a single"

And then, you know...

The future was wide open
March 01, 2007 04:04AM
Absolutely is a fantastic song.

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
March 01, 2007 07:00AM
i think all the first 4 songs in SHU are "Single-Materials" - Favorite Song, Good Friend, Emily & Marvelous.
that dose'nt mean that they are my favorites...
March 01, 2007 11:56PM
Was SHU made before it's time?
March 02, 2007 04:37AM
ANY song on SHU is 10X better than anything on the radio now and every song could and should be a single.

-Bryce, Utah
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π