6) Just As Through With You

Any other opinions?

Post Edited (01-27-07 17:44)
Re: Song Rankings on New CD
January 27, 2007 11:05AM
I like them all, can't say that I like any of them more than the other
January 27, 2007 11:41AM
Well of course they are all great. But people must have favorites!
January 28, 2007 05:06AM
New Shoes is my favorite, and the rest are all tied in greatness.

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

Nine Days and John Hampson music featured in my independent feature film "Will and Testament"!

Facebook Page for "Will and Testament"
IMDB Page for "Will and Testament"
January 28, 2007 07:07AM
Just as Through With You currently tickles my ears.

---Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost, What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind---
January 29, 2007 10:25AM
New Shoes... no doubt...especially b/c I turned 22 this week smiling smiley "22 years is not enough to show you proof of my good stuff" yea!
January 30, 2007 12:08AM

New Shoes and Suddenly on the top of the list.

Just as through with you at the bottom of the list.

and the others in the middle.
January 30, 2007 07:12AM
Am I being controversial in saying that I think the old version of 'Brand New Me' is better than the new version? I just feel that it is slightly overdone.

'Worth Fighting For' is epic and brilliant

Post Edited (01-30-07 16:15)
January 30, 2007 08:00AM
There is a moment in brand new me where on the old version it has a really sudden decrescendo to a new verse and here it's a few bars of guitar stuff and that kinda bothers me, but it's probably just because of how I remember it more than anything. It's still an amazing song, some of my most favorite words.

---Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost, What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind---
January 30, 2007 08:36AM
1) New Shoes (great song and that brian/john collaboration on this song and on Just As Through With You make the song better in a few levels)
2) Suddenly
3) Just As Through With You
4) A Girl In California (the guitar solos are amazing, i guess that brian playes them)
5) Brand New Me (not much differrence but a better version from the old one)
6) Worth Fighting For
January 30, 2007 10:36AM
I don't think I can honestly order by preference - believe me, I've tried. So instead I'll just write what I think of each song on the album (whilst listening to them)

"A Girl In California"
Much much better than I remembered. I listened to the demo once and wasn't totally wild about it, then forbid myself to listen to it again until I got the CD. The chorus is a hell of a lot catchier than I remember, and the lyrics are damn heartbreaking.

"Suddenly"
I honestly think this is the best Nine Days pop song to date. Even though it's been around for a while, it sounds fresh on every listen.

"Worth Fighting For"
Builds up to the sort of epic middle eight that Snow Patrol and Coldplay would sell their bone marrow for. Great strings and melody, and a killer beat.

"Just as Through With You"
Sounds like the spiritual son of "So Happily Unsatisfied." Gotta love that!

"New Shoes"
Looks like this is going to be the fan-favourite from SML(1), and with good reason. This whole CD is packed with brilliant melodies, and this song has about three of them all to itself.

"Brand New Me"
I was a bit cautitious about this based on what I'd read from others, but that caution was un-necessary. The new version is even better than before, with new parts that add more of a punch. God damn I love this song.

One last note - the production on this album is out-of-this-world good!

January 31, 2007 02:04AM
I cant pick on as THE BEST an other as the NOT SO GREAT song... the album is awesone, i'm looking forward to the part 2

"RESISTENCIA ESTUDIANTIL - VIVA LA UNIVERSIDAD!"
January 31, 2007 08:28PM
I got to say I'm just glad to hear some new stuff from the boys ,
there is something about this band that I just don't seem to get
over . Got to agree just as through with you is my bottom , Got to
fence sit on the rest and say that for me John delivers the sensitivity
and Brian the spunk for want of a better word. i.e Brand new me
vs New shoes . Put those things together and voila you've got
Nine Days.

Ps Ever looked up Nine Days in a phrase dictionary, it's good.
February 01, 2007 02:47AM
A Girl In California- I really liked the acoustic demo John gave us a while back, almost to the point of thinking it shouldn't be changed. I love the added harmonies by Brian and the overall "additions" to the song. The song itself didn't change much, but the new instrumentation adds so much to it.

Suddenly- great pop song. There's a reason this was on the AA Top of 2006 list.

Worth Fighting For- This is one of those epic Nine Days songs. It reaches that point at the "Finish what you say..." part that it just blows you away. See "The Moment", "Ocean", and many others for the climax I am trying to describe.

Just As Through With You- I thought the myspace rendition of this was too poppy for my tastes. That said, I really like how it changed from myspace to the album; it sounds more mature. There's also a great story being told in the lyrics that I think I missed the first time around.

Brand New Me- Again, the improvement from the JH Demos to SMLp1 is great. That's not to say the demo was bad, I liked it a lot, but this version is even better. More punch. The only thing I miss is the lyric change in the bridge.

I really like the solo work that Brian and John both did; it was really good stuff. But when these guys get together, you get the best of both worlds, which leads to something that is, simply put, greatness.
February 03, 2007 03:30AM
Worth fightting for, i love the lyric, i think that everyone can be related to that song!... its an universal song...

"RESISTENCIA ESTUDIANTIL - VIVA LA UNIVERSIDAD!"
February 06, 2007 05:27AM
Ranking:
Suddenly
New Shoes
Just As Through With You
A Girl in California
Worth Fighting For
Brand New Me

SOME Thoughts:
-A Girl in California: Good song. Great guitar solos.

-Suddenly (A Brown Eyed Girl): LOVE it. It's just so catchy. I've had it in my head for DAYS now. I love the lyrics too. I might have to play this at my wedding (ya know, whenever that happens). It would work better for that if it was a blue eyed girl though....

-New Shoes: Catchy. Great lyrics.

-Brand New Me: I love the older version, but this one is still good. The problem is that I find myself singing the old lyrics. :0(

~KT

"you should never let the sun set on tomorrow before the sun rises today"
February 06, 2007 03:00PM
ranking:

1. New Shoes (uau!)

2. Worth Fighting For

3. Just As Through With You ( i hate the anoying sound on the verses >.<, but i love the pitch, great guitars, remembered me SHU =D )

4. Suddenly

5. A Girl In California

6. Brand New Me

FANTASTIC ALBUM!

Post Edited (02-07-07 00:00)

------------------------------
&quot;now shut up and listen to the music!&quot; by John Hampson

February 07, 2007 03:21AM
Says a lot that we all like different songs. I am shocked though that people like "Through with You" as much as "Worth Fighting For."

I have to listen to it for a few more months to decide for sure, but it just might be my favorite NineDays song of all times.

The first two NineDays songs that I really liked were "Behind an Old Blue Vase" and the original version of "Crazy." Does anyone remember those two from Monday Night Songs?
February 08, 2007 02:19AM
yeah, i have Monday Songs on my ipod right now. tell you what, it makes me really miss jeremy's sax! "See you in a crowd" is just an amazing song with the lyrics and jer's mad sax at the end! Music don't get any better, folks.

-Bryce, Utah
February 08, 2007 05:52AM
i also find myself singing the old lyrics, i relate to it more--sometimes i talk to much

February 08, 2007 09:52AM
You;re right, I miss the sax too.

~ Sofi ~

&quot;And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name.&quot;
February 08, 2007 10:01AM
Yes, Jeremy is quite brilliant on the sax.

It was probably the stupid Sony 550 people who convinced the band that to go pop/alternative mainstream, the sax wouldn't fit. LAME!
February 08, 2007 10:08AM
I don't think mainstreamism is inherently against jazzier instrument like the saz, the Zutons definitely use it to their advantage, but none of the songs on the new record sound like a sax'd really fit in.

~ Sofi ~

&quot;And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name.&quot;
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π