ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SLOW MOTION LIFE PT1: My 1st Impressions

Posted by Frogmush 

SLOW MOTION LIFE PT1: My 1st Impressions
February 25, 2007 11:00AM
1. A Girl In California - Sweet song, well produced. Nothing that shocked or inspired me, but definately a very very good song.

2. Suddenly [A Brown Eyed Girl] - So happy to hear Brians voice... Musically, the song is pretty good. I really like how it was produced and can tell a lot of effort was put into it.

3. Worth Fighting For - Just finished the song for the first time... I really like the catchy chorus.. and the lyrics are inspiring. They have the classic John refernces to seasons in them. He always likes referencing weather and seasons. Overall, great song. I love it

4. Just As Through With You - Eh... Don't like it much... Musically at least.. The lyrics and Johns voice are great. I like the collaberation from Brian, but overall.. Not impressed.

5. New Shoes - Wow... hand down my favorite new song. I love the lyrics. Awesome musically... good collaberation.. Very very Impressed.. Awesome song..

6. Brand New Me - Ok... now having been a ND fan for some time, The originaly version of this song came to be one of my favorite songs ever written by John... Right up there... The song replayed a lot in times of my life that I choose not to remember. (hence my absence and loss of enthusiasm in ND and this board.) ... ok.. to the point... I don't like this version as much as the original... Yes musically, It's really good... but the original version was soooo lyrically intense, that the music in the new one only dulls down just how intense John was in the original. The vocal intensity has always been my favorite thing about Nine Days and what I believed to be their best talent. With the added instruments, the song just doesnt hold as vocally intense, therefore I still choose the original recording but in no way at all am I saying this is a bad song.. IT's still amazing.

I LOVE THE SONG...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Eric
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Re: SLOW MOTION LIFE PT1: My 1st Impressions
February 26, 2007 01:19AM
I agree with most of your assessment, with the exception that I think "Worth Fighting For" is the best overall song on the new album. My second favorite is "New Shoes" though - it has grown on me a lot. It reminds me a little of "Mexico" from years ago. It has the same fun spirit of "Mexico" and it has become a crowd favorite like "Mexico" used to be. (Obviously I am talking about long before "Story of a Girl.")

"Just as Through WIth You" - I cannot describe exactly what is wrong with this song, but something seems off to me. The two things that bug me are: 1) I think one of the last chords in the chorus doesn't fit right; 2) the staccato style of the verses is somewhat grating.

Other than "Just as Through with You," I REALLY love this new CD and I am more excited about hearing new NineDays music than I have been since Madding Crowd was released.

There is magic in the Brian/John harmonies and collaboration, so it is a good thing that the band is back together.

Post Edited (02-26-07 10:24)
February 26, 2007 01:35AM
it's funny that we all have different songs that we like, and the things that one don't like about a song are another person's favorites.
i think that "Just As Through With You" is an awsome song, it grew on me and definately my favorite from this EP. i looooove the verses because they don't sound like something Nine Days done a lot in the past. it's just great rock n roll. and the chorus (especially the Brian/John collaboration) is amazing too.
it's strange, but to me "Worth Fighting For" is a good song, but probably the weakest in the EP (to my opinion of course).
February 26, 2007 02:03AM
I hear you Shir. I think you'll find that tracks #3 & 4 (the one that we are talking about) probably inspire the strongest opinions one way or the other because those two tracks have the most unique song structures...love them or hate them, they have a far different style.

"Worth Fighing For" has a slow intensity build up that ends in a sacred place, and the "Just as Through with You" has the unique staccato feel. It's good to have songs that people love and hate, that means they are being creative and not churning out cookie-cutter stuff.
February 26, 2007 04:25AM
I'm with Shir.

I was a huge fan of "The Devil that You Know," which has the same building intensity theme as "Worth Fighting For". But, actually, "Worth Fighting For" is my least favorite on the CD. I always air-guitar rock out to "Just as Through With You." The funky keyboards are dope.

Overall "New Shoes"' is still my fave - my new favorite song and theme of my life.

-Bryce, Utah
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π