Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New music update...

Posted by johnhampson 

New music update...
September 02, 2008 09:39AM
Hey all,

There is an interview I did posted on AlternativeAddiction.com, so I figured now would be a good time to talk about new music.

I am releasing a "solo" record in October titled "Shiny New Album." Most of the songs are done, with the final mixes being done next week-ish. "How Much" and "Counting The Stars" will definitely be on it, and then there are a bunch of songs that I have never let slip out there. Not sure about "From A Hospital Bed" yet. There are actually about 20 songs that I am choosing between, and finishing the ones that make sense together. I started writing and demoing back in the fall of '07, and I did think that maybe it would be the second half of "Slow Motion Life", but for many reasons it has turned into a full-on John Hampson record. As I mentioned in the interview, and I am sure you've heard yourself, Brian has been writing more country vibed music that I think is great - but I have gone in a different direction. More importantly, to me at least, is the desire to make a record without any compromise - for better or for worse. That is what I did.

I have no idea when ninedays will do another record, but we are not history, either. Brian and I are both doing something we love and feel genuine passion for. I am sure we'll find a cool musical moment to come together again, but not right now.

There will be more ninedays shows, and hopefully we'll play new stuff form both of us. There will also be John Hampson shows in NY this fall. See you there.

John
Re: New music update...
September 02, 2008 12:39PM
excited!

September 03, 2008 02:55AM
awesome, but i think "from a hospital bed" should definitely be on the album, it is an amazing song.

Mike Mc--

Myspace.com/macattack42691
September 03, 2008 03:41AM
i hope that 'good with nothing more' be on it! i'd like to hear the full version
September 03, 2008 05:51AM
i am breathless with anticipation. as always.

rachel......
September 03, 2008 09:35AM
I agree with joesmo, "From A Hospital Bed" is awesome!

I love the parts "...maybe some prayers have risen, maybe we can be saved"
"...and so we waste the hours, and so we waste are days"

how they stand out to their surrounding melodies is just amazing

September 03, 2008 01:48PM
I would actually not go with "From a Hospital Bed." I think "I Want You To Remember" is the best John solo track and would give it my vote. The passion in John's voice and guitar in the demo is amazing. I would press it as is with no re-recording. I also give a hearty vote for "The Best We'll Ever Be." I think those two songs are much stronger. Of course, those are both a few years old, so who knows if they're even options.

-Bryce, Utah
September 03, 2008 08:20PM
Man you have so many great songs that we already know that didn't found their way into an album yet so your choosing problem is almost impossible. I'm talking about (besides the ones you mentiond) "So Unfair", "Welcome To", "Best We'll Ever Be", "Nothing Better" and my favorite "Worse That It Seems".
Hope to hear those other tracks too (the ones that won't make it to be on the album).
I wish you a happy mixing week!
September 04, 2008 09:25AM
"I Want You Yo Remember" was awesome too!

"...I won't live an ordinary life
I won't give up without a fight
I won't give in I know I'm right
I won't be ordinary"

"...And this everyTHING I WANT
And this everyTHING I NEED
AND I THOUGHT I COULD make you believe, beLIEVE
I WAS WRONG, WRONG IS ALL THAT I'LL BE"

Great line, and I hope I captured the passion you were talking about with my capitalizations, Bryce, Utah!

September 04, 2008 10:08AM
Sweet...thank god I finally got high speed internet...I can now actually hear these wonderful songs!!!

::excitement::

Mandy
September 04, 2008 10:37AM
JoeShih, you are right... "I Want You To Remember" is also great but for some reason it is catrgorized at my computer under the Nine Days folder and not the John Hampson folder...
September 04, 2008 01:49PM
I think the demo was originally distributed (Sept 2006) on the Nine Days site along side IAJATWYAYATWM demo... as a teaser to the Slow Motion Life Collection.

September 04, 2008 11:29PM
Yes yes you are right (as always) my hard rocking amigo. that is the reason and the rest is history
September 05, 2008 01:15AM
Very cool John. Looking forward to it. I will buy the CD the very first day that it becomes available - just as I have done with every NineDays album since Monday Night Songs. Can't wait! I am assuming December by the time you actually have the actual CDs ready to go.
September 07, 2008 11:06AM
Lurker chiming in!

All these songs are incredible but If I had to pick one it I would agree with with brunobeolchi. I NEED to have a full version of "Good With Nothing More." That 1:22 clip from a couple of years ago is one of my most played iTunes tracks and I have never gotten tired of it. I believe it was listed as a Nine Days song, at least that's where I have it tagged. Something about the vibe and emotion of the song is something I can connect with right now on a profound level and I'd pay anything to have a full version in any form.

Post Edited (09-07-08 20:08)

Richie
September 07, 2008 11:18AM
Yeah, Joe, I loved the capitalization grinning smiley

-Bryce, Utah
September 08, 2008 08:22AM
Good feedback, here. There are so many songs that I am choosing between for the last pieces of the puzzle. They all have to make sense together, so some of the ones that don't make it onto this record will have to be free downloads, or something. Or part 2.

Here are the definite tracks: (not nec. in order - but maybe)

1. On The Road
2. Revisionist History
3. Not Hide Away
4. The Last Time
5. When We Were 22
6. How Much
7. Counting The Stars

There are several in the final stages of recording, so we'll see what sticks.

John

Post Edited (09-08-08 17:24)
September 08, 2008 01:00PM
First post here. I can say I'm not as schooled in all of the Nine Days/John Hampson material as most of you so forgive me if this is redundant but "Brand New Me" is not only my favorite ND/JH song but probably the best song I've ever heard anywhere. It just scratches me in the right spot so that is my suggestion for the CD.

Can't wait.
September 09, 2008 09:35AM
Wow, so many unheard songs on that beta track list!!! I can't wait!

September 10, 2008 12:31AM
Coolness, I will be looking forward to the new album.

Interesting thing I just noticed: the age of 22 is mentioned twice (in New Shoes, and When We were 22).

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies it's compromise that moves us along"
September 10, 2008 07:11AM
so looking forward to this!

great stuff!

John
===============
"We'll never know 'till we try..."
September 11, 2008 02:43PM
can't wait to hear the new stuff, will we be able to order the cd online???
September 11, 2008 02:52PM
how about adding "Welcome To (The Beautiful You)"
September 12, 2008 12:09AM
Thank goodness for new music! And it's a good thing I have a lot of friends that have moved to NYC so I can crash there when I head up to see a show. :0)

~KT

"you should never let the sun set on tomorrow before the sun rises today"
September 14, 2008 03:29AM
is one of those the reggae inspired song?
September 14, 2008 04:00AM
I'm pretty sure "How Much" is the reggae song.

~lori~
September 14, 2008 07:45AM
I've learned my lesson on not checking the board for a while.

---Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost, What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind---
September 14, 2008 10:41AM
awesome.
September 29, 2008 04:19PM
Thx John for these news.
October 23, 2008 08:37AM
ok theres only about 8 days left in october - wheres this album at?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π