Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New song - Not Hide Away posted on...

Posted by johnhampson 

New song - Not Hide Away posted on...
October 08, 2008 08:17AM
Myspace.com/johnhampson

the new record is just about done, but I am tired of sitting on finished songs and not being able to play them for you...so, here's one.

Feedback is appreciated.

This new record, Shiny New Album, is filled with raw, imperfect and beautiful, charming moments. Yes, I said it. But it is. Most of it was recorded in my basement "studio" (read- room with all my gear in it), and I am so thrilled to finally be able to translate what I hear in my head to a finished version worthy of your ears without having to spend $$$$ and eons of time (of which, neither is in abundance) doing it. Not only was it recorded in my basement, but it was pretty much recorded between the hours of 9pm and midnight - squeezed into dad-time, husband-time, student-time and teaching-time. Music may be shoehorned in, but it is maybe that much more important because of it. It truly is an outlet and a voice that is necessary for me to use - or I risk losing it.

"Not Hide away" is a fun song that I wrote on my kids toy guitar - and I really like it.

I sing the song almost entirely in a falsetto voice. Why, you may ask? Because when I wrote it I was singing the melody very quietly. When I tried it out full voice it kind of lost it's charm. I have this thing about keeping songs in the key they were originally conceived in, so I went with it.

JH

Post Edited (10-08-08 17:45)
JPG
Re: New song - Not Hide Away posted on...
October 08, 2008 11:38AM
Awesome song John, I love it so much, iam going to be humming this song for weeks to come

Can't wait to pick up your new cd when it comes out. Any tentative date set to expect the new cd by
October 08, 2008 06:57PM
john, "not hide away" is an amazing song!! it is way different from what i was expecting to hear, but i enjoy it nonetheless. it's a very catchy song! i can't wait to hear the record in its entirety! thanks for sharing!!

-christian
October 09, 2008 06:01AM
i can't get it to download. when I click where it says free beside the song, it only downloads some temporary file. I must be doing something wrong
October 09, 2008 07:16AM
just wait, the temporary file will slowly be complete and it will magically turn into an MP3 file

or you can try downloading from www.ninedaysMORE.com

October 09, 2008 07:29AM
I like it, pretty "popish" song. When is the release date for the CD?

Mike Mc--

Myspace.com/macattack42691
October 09, 2008 01:09PM
thanks JoeShih

Anyways, I love the song, its different but very catchy for sure! can't wait for the whole cd
October 11, 2008 12:29AM
John, to be honest, I really think you should give it another shot in full voice. Fun song. I think the bass line stole the show for me. Take five minutes to lay down a full voice track and let it sit for a couple of days and then compare the two versions. I have a feeling the full voice version might grow on you. Just putting in my two cents because you asked.

Celebrating my 10th year as a fan: I have been a fan since seeing you guys at the Bitter End in 1998!
October 11, 2008 09:35AM
Hi John,

I love your voice, love your music. I loved everything off of "Seventeen Minutes And Thirty Eight Seconds In The Dark" which I ordered from the website eons ago... and still regularly listen to. It is amazing that you are still able to keep the music up with everything else that is going on in your life.

Re: this song, I'll have to agree with the previous poster - I'd also like to here it in full voice. My 2 cents.
October 14, 2008 01:09PM
This is a fun song! Reminds me Paul Simon. I second the suggestion for a full-voice version.

-Bryce, Utah
October 18, 2008 04:57PM
the more I listen to it, the more I am not crazy about the whistling parts. the rest sounds awesome though
October 25, 2008 07:53AM
I REALLY love this song. Real cool 70's vibe to it which seems to be the way I'm leaning these days. The falsetto is great and only underscores Johns versatility and personally think he's right in that it would lose some of it's charm if sung differently.
November 06, 2008 11:18PM
well, it looks like i missed the preview...but that's cool....i heard it live anyway...a total riot and, as usual, i am biased so you wouldn't have gotten a very constructive opinion from me anyway....

THIS? made me tear up... :"It truly is an outlet and a voice that is necessary for me to use - or I risk losing it. "

how true is that? you really said it....oddly, that could be one of the most inspiring things, to me, you've ever said...

sorry to be a big cheese-ball this morning...i haven't had my coffee yet.......

rachel......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π