ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The way they are handling their fans now...

Posted by Meelman 

The way they are handling their fans now...
May 26, 2003 05:16AM
So, finally an ONtopic topic, hihi.

First, they tell us they've recorded a new album...
Second, they release the album on the internet...
Third, they postpone the albumrelease 10 times...
Then, they dumped Sony/Epic, or Sony/Epic dumped them... (not sure about that, but I think the last option is better, because otherwise they're not allowed to publish an album the next 5 years possibly)
Then they tell us the album is coming out soon...
And finally........ nothing....

Don't they know what this means for a fan? We are waiting and waiting... but nothing.... members leave the band.... nothing..... maybe the band is breaking up.... why not? Or are they already split up? We don't know anything.

Oh yes, we heard about a release of Favorite Song as a single, but then, nothing..... Maybe that's the bands biggest problem: releasing singles and albums. Story Of A Girl was a big succes, but If I Am flopped, because of the bad promotion. Same with Good Friend, same with Favorite Song? Nine Days is a really great band and more people should hear them! But they don't want other people to hear them... possibly.

You must know I like Nine Days, I like their music, I like it that they are so close to their fans by giving concerts (in some places only) and I like the members, but I don't like the way they are telling us information and the way they are releasing music... sorry.
Re: The way they are handling their fans now...
May 26, 2003 05:23AM
hope they aren't breaking/broke up b/c they have a show on fri. and it's real cool b/c colleen is coming !!!!! (happy happy joy joy)
May 26, 2003 08:22AM
I agree 'Meelman'......

It's time things started happening.

May 26, 2003 08:50AM
be patient little grasshopers.....maybe you guys missed john's post about surprises and new music??? LOL pay attention to detail before you start bitching, and they didn't release the album on the internet until after they asked to be dropped by sony. Basically it was their choice, but sony did the dirty work.
May 26, 2003 08:53AM
Yeah, but it would be nice to finally see the old music unveiled officially......

A.k.a: SHU.

May 26, 2003 08:56AM
Yea, or how about just a better cd with better songs?
May 26, 2003 08:59AM
And the really sad thing is. I can call SHU 'old'. It never came out and it has gotten to the point where I can call it old!

yawning smiley(

May 26, 2003 09:05AM
SHU should be released under the new label with the other 3 unreleased CD's attached on a bonus disc. That would be kinda cool. And bring everybody up to speed.....

So that the band can move on. And produce newer stuff for all to enjoy.

May 26, 2003 09:08AM
Yes, SHU was recorded awhile ago, and yes the release date was postponed a gobjillion times... but that was because of Sony doing it. They never "released" SHU to the internet because Sony still has the rights or something, ninedays has just made it known that the album can be found online.

According to John, the album is supposed to come out in July. They haven't said anything yet because they are still having some issues getting the rights from Sony (or something like that, I cant remember the exact wording). That is probably the reason that we haven't heard anything. I also remember John telling somone... Diana I do believe it was, that they also weren't saying anything because they didn't want to jinx it or something.

But anyhow, I am just giving my opinion on the matter and I dont want this to turn ugly so I'm done! smiling smiley

PS- Thanks Lou! smiling smiley

Colleen.

Post Edited (05-26-03 18:12)
May 26, 2003 09:12AM
They could call it: 'Hear and now' < A pun on 'here and now'...duh

yawning smileyP

May 26, 2003 10:32AM
orrrrr how about sometimes its totally not up to a band what they do because legally they are under contract to not say anything until this that and so forth are finalized?

^^could be wrong, but how could we know?

i'm sure nine days wanted to succeed when they put TMC out. there would have been no point otherwise. somethings are completely out of a person's control.

sheeeeeeit, you guys point fingers faster than i do.. and that's uh, pretty fast.
yeah we've all been waiting for so long....hope that there is no domino effect to the end of ninedays..wow
smiling smiley

May 26, 2003 03:13PM
You guys act like these things are all within the bands control. If the guys had their way, I'm sure we'd all have SHU in our happy little hands right now and all would be well, but it just didn't work out that way, now did it? Patience young ones, I'm sure the guys are diong the best they can.

May 26, 2003 03:21PM
Meelman and everyone else who reads:

i feel compelled to respond to this thread...i am first and foremost a fan of music and bands/artists myself...so i do appreciate how i am treated as a fan and how i treat fans of my own music...you raise some very valid issues ...i am going to explain some things here that arent pretty...but, they are the reality that i live in...First, when you are signed to a 'major label', ala Epic/Sony, you are forced to do things their way and through their machine...it is NOT always a fun ride...how many other bands do you read about trying to get out of their contracts? alot...why? because once you see how easily you are dismissed from being a 'priority' you realize that noone cares about your career at the label...they just want instant sales...so, if you release a single and it doesnt burn up the charts, the retailers (Tower Records, Walmart, Best Buy, etc...) dont order enough records for your record company to justify pressing it...so, you sit in limbo waiting for the label to decide what the hell they are going to do..drop you? release a new single? or hang in there and continue to push the release date back (and back) so that the single has more time to build at radio and convince retailers to order more records...well, after 4 months of waiting, Epic released us...Then it has taken the last 7 months to find another label who wants to put the record out and negotiate the rights from Sony(which STILL isnt completed, by the way)...why would Sony make it difficult if they arent going to release it, you ask? because they are busy worrying about the other records they are trying to sell...they dont care about us or you, the fans of ninedays...they also dont want to see another label have success with something they have discarded...how does this affect us, ninedays? it SUCKS...very, very, very badly...dont you think i want nothing more than to put out the music that i spent months writing, more months recording, and even more months promoting? believe it or not, Brian and i visited over 40 radio stations in 22 cities in 12 freakin days last July...my whole life has been consumed by this record from June of 2001 to NOW...from writing to recording to trying to get it released...we cant tour without a single or record out...its too hard to get promoters to book you without a 'buzz'...unfortunately, its been 3 years since we put a record out...not much buzz right now...i hope that changes when we get "So Happily..." released.

as for Vinnie and Jeremy being gone, it is a huge disappointment to all of us...ninedays will never be the same...how could it be? its different! if Brian, Nick and i stick together, should we rename it? we thought about it...but, in the end, ninedays has always been my and Brians band...we wrote everthing...and i have worked my ass off making it known to you all...so i'm fucking keeping what i worked for...if others want to bail, or force themselves out with irresponsible behavior then so be it...go...i didnt last this long by not being tenacious and driven...my creed for others has always been "Do whatever you want, just dont **** up my world"...if you do, we have problems...is ninedays breaking up? not right now...we are hanging in there and hoping that we get the rightsto "So Happliy Unsatsified" and get it released this summer...in the meantime i am writing alot of new songs...i will share them when i know what is going with the record...they are my songs right now...not ninedays...i dont know where i will go with them or who i will play them with...the future is not very clear right now...i have tried to keep you all updated and informed...everyone asks and i answer...i dont really have any control over the record and until it has either been released or is finally put to death and becomes a 'lost' album, we (and I) cant really afford to make a new record...either financially or emotionally...this has been a life draining experience and i cannot go through it again...we need closure on this before we can move on...but it really wont be much longer...it cant be...who will care about this record if it doesnt come out in the next 2 or 3 months? i wont...i dont expect you will either...its out there for downloading and i encouraged you all to do just that...saying that alone could get me in trouble but who cares? what more could they do to me?

on the bright side (yes, their is one), i love writing music...i love touring..i love playing shows for 10 people or 10,000 people...i love making albums...i am not done doing any of those things...whether its with ninedays, on my own, or with another band i will continue to be a musician...i do hope to see you all again and i do hope you all are inspired in some small way by the music i make...WHEN you finally get to hear it...not 'if', but 'when'...

so, to bring you all up to date; we are still waiting on Sony to sign off on the latest offer we and our new label made to get the record back...i am on the phone every day with my managers giving them hell...the bigwigs at Sony dont take my calls...ninedays is me, Brian and Nick right now...we do not have an official drummer yet...playimg with us this Friday is an old friend and amazing drummer named John Miceli...Keith did a great job, but he lives in TX and there isnt enough job security for him to move up here to NY and turn his life upside down...John happens to play with Meatloaf (of all people!) so he isnt avavilable as a full time guy right now either...you will hear new songs and i like them alot...yes, i wrote them so i am biased...maybe you will to...i will put up some MP3s of demos when i finish recording them...if/when "So Happily Unsatisfied" is released, we will MOST LIKELY put out "Favorite Song" as the first single...it hasnt come out yet...we will also try to put new songs on the record so that it isnt the same freaking thing you downloaded off the internet...dont make me write 2 more paragraphs explaing why that might not be logistically feasible if we want to get it out right away...which we do...if it can be done without holding the record up, we'll do it...if not, i'm not waiting one day more than i have to...we'll put the new songs up as MP3s...i am not writing another post or message until i have something definite to announce...please ignore all my spelling and grammar mistakes...thanks for caring enough to write and listen.

john hampson

Post Edited (05-27-03 01:34)
May 26, 2003 03:40PM
Wow, love ya John
May 26, 2003 03:41PM
wow is right.
May 26, 2003 04:00PM
yes john i love you very much
the new songs are amazing
i just know it
even without hearing them
i dont think its possible for you to write a bad song
ur too dang smart, sweet and have the most wonderful voice

i know i am not on here as much as i used to
which makes sense with everything going on right now
its good to do different things and not sit waiting
but luckily ninedays has become so embedded in my life
that even without realizing it - i listen and think and miss
thanks for everything you do
you really really made me happy seeing u play
you are the best drug ever
thanks my fave rockstar and hopefully friend
May 26, 2003 04:11PM
!

rachel......
May 26, 2003 05:05PM
holy shizat. reading that made my eyes crisscross and back again because of the computer screen.

but in all honesty, THANK YOU. MAYBE PPL WILL STFU NOW <3
aw that sounded mean, it wasnt supposed to be.

didanyonenoticetheeffwordandthatthiswaspostedasareplyandnotawholenewpost?
^^^honestly i tried to give a serious response and failed.

john is cool bye
May 26, 2003 05:13PM
Amen.

Thank youm John Hampson, thank you.

See everyone Friday...

~Erin
May 26, 2003 05:19PM
awww thanks for posting that John
Im really excited about whatever comes in the next little bit
what ever the band does or how long it takes im behind the band
iv loved the band for to long to back out now, not that id want to.
Good luck with everything and i hope to be catching a show soon

Mandy
May 26, 2003 09:15PM
Wow, this is so nice of you, John! Maybe this was my purpose (to be honest), to get an explanation, to get some information, and you gave it, that's very nice, thank you very much!! If/when (lol) SHU comes out, I'll buy 1000 copies, I swear!

Thank you very much John, we love you and Brian and Nick,

Meelman
May 26, 2003 09:15PM
**** john tell us how you really feel !!!
May 26, 2003 10:00PM
john you rock....
we all appriciate your honesty and what you do for us fans

thank you

I wonder what its like to be remembered- John Hampson
May 27, 2003 12:47AM
amen to that.
thanks john.

smiling smiley
.:liana:.

*just what did you do if you're a dream then come true.*

*i slowdown.*
May 27, 2003 02:09AM
Thanks John.

Being in a completely different country across a very wide stretch of the blue stuff, it is frustrating when no-one tells the fans anything. Be it by contractual agreement or whatever.

Speaking for myself and possibly other members of the overseas fanbase, it is nice to be kept up to date with the latest ups (and downs) of a bands progress. If only as some sort of an acknowledgement of the fact that something IS indeed happening 'behind the scenes' over there!

Yeah, you probably will be repremanded for some of what you state, but then that's rock n' roll.

Ups, downs and inbetweens.

Post Edited (05-27-03 11:21)
May 27, 2003 03:17AM
hey if that's released that means we'll be able to hear Brian's voice on the radio...

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
May 27, 2003 03:25AM
I hope that John doesn't move on to a different group or go solo since that is a possibility..

And I'm just gonna buy one copy personally.

I absolutely love her when she smiles
May 27, 2003 04:22AM
john, that was amazing, and i'm glad you said all you did, especially because you didn't have to say everything you did, some people who started this thread had NO FUCKING RIGHT to say things the way they did, and i think nine days is a fabulous band and you all are handling this time of transition in the BEST way possible, and you do truly let us know whats going on when you can, which is ten billion times more tahn what the average band would/could do. i really want to apologize for the apaulling way we take you for granted, as shown in the beginning of this thread, and while i can't apologize for meelman and sketch, i wish they would too.

May 27, 2003 04:28AM
Who's right is it to comment on anyone elses business?

We do it anyway.

You have no right to comment like you just did; and "kindly" request that Sketch and Meelman apologize for some reason but you just said it.

That's none of your business.

Besides that, this is a public i-message board so we kind of bend your rules all of the time.

Last time I checked, whether we like it or not, we are all pretty selfish bastards.

I absolutely love her when she smiles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π