ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Top 3 ND Songs and why?

Posted by Frogmush 

Top 3 ND Songs and why?
February 22, 2003 04:07PM
Hey everyone. Im sitting here bored. I feel like reading just why everyone loves nine days soo much. I wanna know details. What are your favorite 3 Nine Days songs and why?.... here are my fav 3 in no particular order:

If I Am (Madding Crowd): This is the song that got me hooked on the band. it is such a powerful song. Sometimes i sing it at the top of my lungs and it makes me want to cry, when at other times it makes me happy. The lyrics are the most powerful thing that i think ND has. They always seem to connect in so many ways.

Regrets (Three): This song is so horrible, but awesome. It makes me feel how i am feeling about my current relationship right now. I am striving so hard to make things work, but right now i think things in her eyes have just faded and gone away. Not for me, but without her love, compassion, and consideration things just arent working out. The music itself is what got me hooked on this song, not the words. I love the beat of the song and it is also great to sing a long with, even when your not in a downer mood.

The last choice is hard, ...... hrmmm..... im gonna have to say.....

Bitter: Maybe it's because im sad right now, or perhaps that this song is so heartfelt. Im suprised brian can even go through with singing this at concerts without breaking down in tears. When i sing the song it makes me cry regardless of my mood. If you are sad this song doesnt do much for you except make you more sad. The lyrics for this song are soo awesome though. I wish that i could write something like this, but i am glad that i have not had the kind of experience that brian has had in order to write such a song. This song is almost a masterpiece, it's just great.

ok ok ok.. i know i said only 3 songs but i have to give one off of SHU some credit...

Ocean: this song is just sooo well musically written. The music is the powerful part of this song, not the lyrics. The lyrics make the song powerfull but not the words behind them. I think that i tend to think this way because the lyrics use symbolism like how they compare waves and ocean to your body and stuff. I tend not to like poetry and such that is heavy with nature, i like it to the point, but that is only my opinion.....

now.... what are yuor opinions?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Eric
Re: Top 3 ND Songs and why?
February 22, 2003 04:24PM
THE JONESES: this is the song that wakes me up every morning. sadly, i walk around my house with it in my diskman on full volume and i bop to it while i make breakfast and get ready for school.........SUCH a dweeb

EVERYTHING: omg.....the day i get a guy to sing a song like this to me...i would love him forever..plus every time he says "we could be everything" it reminds me of that part in RENT when collins turns to angel and says "are we a thing?" and angel responds "honey, we're everything" LOVE that. the song is so sincere

EMILY: i remember the night when i took kristen's advanced copy of SHU out of her dance bag and ran into the other dance room with it so that i could hear good friend...emily was actually the first song i heard off of SHU and i remember listening to it over and over again ...plus i love the part right before john sings the chorus for the last time and goes "now emily hides in a way....." cuz you turn down the left speaker and hear only john, no music (which sounds SO sexy) and you turn down the right speaker and hear just music...i love that

totally just 3 great songs that i picked off the top of my head

and yes...this post makes no sense....its 1:30, i'm tired and i'm going to watch my tape of SNL....

-amy
nine days of rain

"dude, i'm old" ~jeremy
February 22, 2003 04:25PM
it makes no sense but i found that very interesting... so thank you for letting me know why ND means a lot to you.

Post Edited (02-23-03 01:26)

Eric
February 22, 2003 09:38PM
Hey guys! I'm the hugest french ninedays fan over here. Well my 3 favourite songs are:

the joneses : the music is so powerful, the lyrics are amazing, and once again John's voice is really great.

So far away : the acoustic and electric guitars are definitely amazing, John's & Brian's voices are really nice together.

Absolutely : I know that few people like this song, because too famous, or too commercial and so on... It remains one of my favourites anyway because I discovered the band with this song. Moreover when I play it with my acoustic guitar, girls can't resist lol.

Here it is, but there's a lot of other songs that I love : 9 days of rain, emily, favourite song, revolve, I feel fine, if I am...
Still waiting for a show here in France or even in Europe.
Bye.

Mehdi
February 23, 2003 12:54AM
Emily: This song rocks so much. The lyrics are great and the music is even better. I love the middle where you can just hear the strings and John's voice...and then the bass drum comes back in and it goes right into the chorus...probably my fave song off SHU.

Bitter: The first time I heard this song I was blown away. I can connect so many things to this song and to The Madding Crowd in general...most of them are good things...but as for this song I just love the lyrics and Brian's voice is so good on it.

Cap Le'moine: I love this song. Definitely my favorite song off the earlier CD's...

BEN
February 23, 2003 02:47AM
Hey Froggy...

Good call on the If I Am...I agree 100%

Let me know if you need the acoustic version of IF I Am, because its even better than the regular version. It was released on a 3 track sampler a few years back....

Greener Grass--- There is no talking during Greener Grass. Great bass line and a great line. "A man has two faces and still he's half blind." Nuff said.

Then a 3 way tie (like the way I get around that 3 song limit?)

Things We Said, Muddy Water, and Lost You.
February 23, 2003 02:52AM
this is too hard.....but you got my most of favorites...greener grass, the acoustic if I am...that reminds me of listening to their sampler cd and my car accident when I totaled my car on my birthday b/c after the accident it kept skipping over and over again...lol. Muddy water, things we said and Lost you all rank up there. But I have to add in Revlove because it reminds me of all the shows that I've been to. Also I have to add in my brother because one of my best friends lost his brother and it's a really really meaningful and powerful song.
That defintely wasn't three... but oh well

Oh man I almost forgot Ocean...I think that is number 1 for me.

~MeLiSsA
February 23, 2003 06:51AM
That is a really really hard question.

257 Weeks is probably my top favorite. The words, the music, good song all around. When the play it at shows I get all excited and start jumping around. (sorry to the people I accidently hit when I do that)

The End of Agent Bobby Roe: Its a sad song but I love it. They make it seem so happy went its not and.... I dont know. The first time I listened to it I really wasn't listening to the words and it seemed like a happy peppy song. Then I heard the words and I'm like, "poor bobby, oh no" but it a great song.

If I am is another favorite. I dont know what to say about it. It is a really powerful song. They're are probably atleast 10 people who have been saved by that song. For a photo project I did for school it was called "signs of courage" and very open to ideas. The one that came into my head was having someone standing on a roof and someone on the ground looking up and them to save them. I put a verse of If I am on it to get the point across and I got a 99 on it.

Over the limit, I know but there's always story of a girl, being a Long Islander, I didn't know them till that song came out. Probably because I was too young to get into their shows and didn't do the underground band thing yet.

"I'm not made of steel, but your secrets safe with me." Our Lady Peace
February 23, 2003 07:02AM
ahah!!!! so YOU're the one jumping around and hitting people!!!! i think i know who you are....yes, i definitely think i knowwho you are....
February 23, 2003 11:12AM
unfortunately, i haven't been able to get access to their first three albums, so my answers are all from "the madding crowd" (TMC) and "so happily unsatisfied" (SHU).

1. "favorite song" - yes, amazingly enough, my favorite song is "favorite song". so behind this is as follows : i'd been meaning to see nine days in concert for a long time, but they weren't coming to wisconsin for the longest time. finally, they came to kenosha. 45 min drive later, me and my girlfriend showed up at carthage college where they were playing. up until that point, the only SHU songs i knew were "good friend" and "emily". dishwalla opened for them, and they were all right. then we waited the usualy setup time before the main act, and then the lights went out. a distorted noise began and grew louder and louder. then the lights went on and the band was on stage. john was in the middle and starting singing, "what if everything you had was like a castle made of sand?..." and i instantly fell in love with that song. over the next two days after the concert, i downloaded SHU, and "favorite song" still remains my favorite song.

2. "end up alone" - like "favorite song", this one is sung by both john and brian. i'm a huge fan of songs where they both individually sing. everything about it rocks, the freaky beat sound, the guitar riffs, the back and forth singing between brian and john, the fact that they sing about getting drunk and stoned and monkeys swinging from the vines of coconut trees (but do coconut trees really have vines? does anyone know?) killer song.

3. my number three will be a four-way between two songs from SHU and two songs from TMC, with short explanations of each:

"so far away" - good first song on an album (just not as good as "favorite song", with john and brian once again singing together. they complement each other so well.

"257 weeks" - my fav song that john sings by himself. the piano rocks, it's catchy as all hell, and i always wonder what significance the time period of 257 weeks has. huh.

"marvelous" - my fav song that brian sings by himself. good short piano beginning that suddenly goes into guitar. brian sounds awesome when he sings high and kinda yells.

"back to me" - this song has a personal significance to me. when TMC came out, i was going out with this girl, and i was all about her. then, out of nowhere, she broke up with me, with what seemed like no reasoning behind it. it was crushed, and i could totally relate to this song at the time. it reminds me of that summer that was so great, but ended so badly. no matter though because (side note), me and that girl got back together, and we've been together for like a year and a half and love each other immensely... if any of you cared.

****i know i broke the rule of "top 3 ND songs", but dammit, they have so many good ones. peace out, y'all.

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

Nine Days and John Hampson music featured in my independent feature film "Will and Testament"!

Facebook Page for "Will and Testament"
IMDB Page for "Will and Testament"
February 23, 2003 11:13AM
actually, i lied. my number 3 song is a four-way tie between 3 from TMC and 1 from SHU, not 2 from TMC and 2 from SHU. hate me if you must.
February 23, 2003 11:34AM
*lol* has anybody actually only listed three songs? I don't think so... and I doubt that I'm gonna be the first... Unless I post twice or something... smiling smiley Favorite songs... hmm... Well, lets just say for right this very second, these are my favorite three, or so, and they may change without warning at any second.

If I Am (and if you dont know which CD that is on, go away!) - this song means sooooooooo much to me. Way back in fall 2000, my dad was diagnosed with cancer and the doctors didn't think he was going to live much longer. I started to listen to this song all the time, and it really helped me through the time (by the way, my dad has been taking some different meds and is okay now) And I also went through a stage in my life in like early 2002 when I sort of had some form of anorexia and just had a hard time accepting myself. Once again, this song was there for me. However, the song is about a hundred times better live, when at the very end John goes "the answers we find are never what we had in mind, so we make it up as we go along" and then strums the guitar (oh, you know what I'm talking about!)

This Music (Monday Songs) I just love the beat of this song... It's so easy and fun to sing. And the piano part in this song is spectacular! No big story to this song... I just love it!

The Joneses (the unreleased masterpiece) HELLO! Could a song ROCK anymore? I swear I could blast this song at six am from my alarm clock before a final exam and still be happy, just because of the song! It makes me wanna DANCE!!!

And now for more, because everyone else has!

End Up Alone- Lissa, Ash, Katie, Heather... anyone else from the Mt. Pleasant show will know what I'm talking about! There is nothing like totally forgetting the line when you're put on the spot. But oh well... at least we remembered like 30 seconds later, not three days later *ahem... John*

Ocean - Especially the beginning part... It's sooooooo peaceful (me and my roommate call it the sleepytime song) But I love the part where it goes "in dreams of lavish gifts we hide" the word LAVISH gets me everytime, the way it sounds... *sigh*

Okay I'm cutting myself off right here before I start to go on about every single song ever. And I have four midterms this week... URGH! I think all my professors are insane...

February 23, 2003 11:57AM
1. If I Am

2. Another Day

3. Good Friend

sorry for the lack of explinations, but these are my top 3 favorite ND songs in that order...If I Am is up there for my favorite song of all time by any band...running neck and neck with 3eb's motorcycle drive by

February 23, 2003 12:07PM
See I told you, If I Am can be a lifesaver

"I'm not made of steel, but your secrets safe with me." Our Lady Peace
February 23, 2003 02:43PM
Yes the mt pleasant put on the spot thing was funny.. if i wasnt shy i woulda started shouting out the lyrics.. lol.. but John would have rather put girls on the spot then some big fat guy

Eric
February 23, 2003 02:48PM
Awww... yeah it was hilarious. one of my top embarrassing moments, and trust me I've got a lot of them... say about five million from the day of the mt. pleasant show (can anyone say SHOWER CURTAIN?!)

Colleen

February 23, 2003 05:02PM
oooh! i love motorcycle driveby!!! that is an excellent song...i need to dig out my 3eb cd....
February 24, 2003 02:45AM
Three... that's not much... here I go:

1. Mexico: that song is really swinging and cool and yeah, this song contains everything a song needs. My favorite.

2. Favorite Song: my third favorite actually, but it's their BEST song, cause it's just perfect and it's one of the two best songs (Where to begin - Bowling for soup is the other) I've ever heard. This should be a single!

3. 257 Weeks: again a song that's really swinging and is really cool, complete and I really like this song.

Runner ups: Wanna Be, On Her Way To Boston, Miss Alva Maria and Shoes on her bed. Four really slow and beautiful songs, but my three fav songs are just a little bit more catchy!
February 24, 2003 02:47AM
I have to add a runner up: I Feel Fine.
February 24, 2003 05:07AM
I am going to attempt to keep it somewhere near three, but I don't know how well that will work.

My top three usually change with my mood, so here's the top three of the moment...

Marvelous- This song completely sums up my feelings on a past relationship. Every single line in that song describes exactly how I was feeling the first time I heard it. I still get all emotional when they play it live and it comes to the bridge, "So how ya gonna feel when you know it's so true..."

Miss Alva Maria- No real personal story behind this one, I just really really like it. I think the lyrics are some of John's best.

257 Weeks- This song is just my life anthem. Lately, I've been finding that it really adequately describes how I feel about certain people I've been surrounding myself and I just love it.

Honorable mention goes to: Favorite Song, I Feel Fine, See You In A Crowd, Behind An Old Blue Vase, Nobody, Revolve, Wanna Be, and Bitter. Okay, must stop now.

March 06, 2003 10:22PM
<<nobody>> I haven't heard that song yet..... where did you get that?
tel
March 06, 2003 11:42PM
Hey guys, this is tel form wales.......

My fav 3 nine days songs, well what a hard one, here goes...

1. Has to be 'if I am', this is probably the best song that Ive ever heard, its one of those songs that you never get bored of no matter how many times you hear it.....

2. 'wanna be', the words of this song are amazing,

"I still can feel the beach sand in my shoes. Remember when,
We talked along the ocean's song 'til blue from black fade in?
But that was then I learned to live without you far within'.
I ask you why you're back to try to let me lose again?
You brought me here you wet my taste.
You disapeer without a trace.
It wasn't me who made the call."

3. this is a hard one but I'll go with 'revolve', such a powerful song.....
March 07, 2003 12:45AM
Haha, I gotta cheat and choose 3 from each album, cuz any less just seems like a crime!! LOL not really but only cuz I only managed to DL the old albums Wednesday ;-)

So, TMC...

'257 Weeks', cuz of those lines that go 'It's so sad, cuz you're so good and I'm so bad...' basically it really reminds me of my last relationship (and not to get into another one) which ended...cuz he was so good (vegetarian, thinks all people are nice deep down, I think he's going for some kinda sainthood) and...I'm a crazy-mad committment phobic with a pechant for sexy canadian barmen!!! I got the album on the monday of the touching breakup scene, and I was listening to it, and it was like those lines came out and grabbed me, cuz that was totally how I was feeling y'know? It's like...I liked him, but we were just too far apart in what we were about for it to work.

'If I Am', I think everyone else has covered this pretty thouroughly!! I wish I'd had this album ages ago, would have really helped when I was going through a difficult time.

'Wanna Be' just cuz it's gorgeous...I would soooo love to hear it accoustic - has anyone got it?!

And SHU

'Still Here', cuz it's beautiful!! One of those songs that just touches you every time you listen...that can never just fade into the background.

'Marvellous', yeah...past relationships... (when I was still capable of them, lol)...Makes me want to be marvellous for someone - if that makes sense to anyone?!

'Favorite Song'...It just rocks!!

And of the rest...

'The End of Agent Bobby Roe' really stood out first listen... and...'9 Days of Rain' :-)

Cat

I am a free radical!

'apparently she is so weird and messed up, hannah had to make her promise not to f!ck me up completely'
March 07, 2003 06:41AM
Back To Me: i love it so much b/c im in love with the beginning...just the way it sounds and it makes me laugh...and me and my sister both like it, and its like this sisterly bond thing (dont try to understand if you dont have a sister)

257 weeks: again, i like the way it sounds all put together. and the way they say '257 weeks'...

Emily: i was d/l music of nine days and a song came up and it said 'Emily' (look at the post 'riverhead' i think its that one) and since its my name, and its a damn good song i love it. esp. cuz it has my name in it. and any band that sings a song about some girl named emily has got to rock! (the song and the band)

i love a lot more songs, but it only asked for 3, and those are the 1st 3 that came to mind.

-Emily

&quot;forever bored and outside from the in-crowd...&quot;
March 07, 2003 07:29AM
Oh this is gonna be hard...

Definently If I Am! First song i really really liked ( i was never to crazy about Absolutely, but borrowed my friends MC cd anyway). It makes me want to cry, everytime I listen to it. It's just so, amazing!

The Joneses- like everyone else said, its so fun to dance to!

Emily- Also fun to dance to!

Everything- I want someone to sing this to me sad smiley I think I'd just have to cry.

Revolve- Just an all around fun song!

And to every other song, I love you too!! :-D

to amy- Rent is the best play EVER! woo!

ok, now its really time to go iron my khakis...

Kat

&quot;The Password is...&quot;
March 07, 2003 07:46AM
Bitter....

Weekend Excursion... hmmm swear that was by them.. but lets say back to me then....

and hmmmm....

lets say the joneses has really grown on me...

Post Edited (03-08-03 22:57)

&quot;How far you go just to destroy yourself. Tuck in your self esteem, it's falling out&quot;
March 07, 2003 08:16AM
ok, well, here goes.

#1 is def. 'if i am' cause it's just the best song, period.

#2 is 'revolve', but that's a long story for someone who is willing to listen for a while.

and #3 is 'the jonses' because it just rocks, love the guitar lines and lyrics, definately fun to dance to.

honorable mentions:back to me, favorite song, crazy, so far away......and every other song they've writen! so ya, there ya go

Kevin

p.s.- you all mentioned that the jonses is fun to dance to, well, i played it at 615 in the morning to wake me up and my dad came in half asleep and was like, "what the hell are you playing at this hour? i'm trying to sleep not dance!" hehe........much fun

&quot;I wanna be with you forever, and tomorrow's not to late........&quot;
March 07, 2003 08:44AM
REVOLVE: because it was the only song i would ever listen to when i first got TMC.

FAVORITE SONG: because fs=me. yes.

MEXICO: just because it's the only song i could listen to forever and ever.

***note: please tell john that everyone likes 257 so that he will play it *once*

shutsupnow.

xo. hilary
__i find hope and it gives me rest. (hanson.net)
March 07, 2003 09:46AM
Hmm, top three is pretty hard, I like 'em all! smiling smiley

1. Sometimes - this will probably always be on of my favorite songs by any group. It's really pretty, and I love the middle instrumental part.

2. Ocean - Another really pretty song. I'm not sure why, but my favorite part is when he says "A dream you keep inside your mind..." Very pretty.

3. Wanna Be - this was the song that drew me into liking Nine Days. I was at a friend's house and we were listening to the CD while playing cards and I heard this song and it reminded me of a song they'd play in a romantic movie.

And a thing all these songs share is who sings 'em... I love Brian's voice! smiling smiley And they're all slow, pretty songs. So my favorite faster one is probably "Revolve".
March 07, 2003 04:34PM
WAITING ON THE CORNER: i just love this song, its just so fun. its gotta be the voice.

STILL HERE: becuase it was the first song i heard from shu thus rekindeling my undying devotion to nine days.

257WEEKS: mostly because of that intro john gave at the easton town center. i was not there, but i downloaded it and i now i get why its a life anthem.

SO FAR AWAY: this was always my favorite nd song before i got the other cds.

END UP ALONE: because of concert memories.

and honorable mention goes to I LOVE YOU which i just love but cant be on the real list becuase its a cover.

THIS MUSIC

BEHIND AN OLD BLUE VASE

NOBODY

ON HER WAY TO BOSTON

ANOTHER DAY

ok, ok im going to cut myself off now.

oh, i almost forgot THINGS WE SAID. you cant have a favorites list without that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π