February 23, 2003 05:06PM
>yawning smiley/
eminem is my imaginary boyfriend

Post Edited (02-24-03 02:07)

rachel......
Re: HOW!?!??!?!
February 25, 2003 11:11AM
steph. MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY...

and what the **** was with showing avrils back for 10 minutes b/c she had NO WAR printed on the inside of her jacket.

god. we have created a world where artist are not allowed to speak their minds... what the **** country do we live in? i thought we could say wahtever we wanted OH as long as it goes along with our current gov't...

February 25, 2003 11:30AM
I think you are taking that a little too far. People elsewhere in the world would be killed for simply saying they hated their president or government....are you really serious?
It's the 1st ammendment of our constitution.

I'm sorry...I was the one that said we should be able to voice our own opinions on the board.....but Americans are so spoiled they have no idea what they have. That's what's wrong with this country and why the rest of the world hates us.

Do some traveling you'll find that out real quickly.

When I was in Australia....I prob. heard 10 times from people from the UK, Australia, NZ and even Bolgaria....yeah I really dont' like Americans because they are so egocentric but you are pretty cool.

If you think it's so bad here go live in Cuba or Afganistan for a while, you won't be complaining about the coverage on Avril Lavgne's jacket anymore, trust me.

Don't be offended by my comments, this is just something I am very passionate and sensitvie about.

~MeLiSsA
February 25, 2003 11:41AM
melissa, i think you missed the bar on this one. while i agree with your whole comment completely, it is because you totally missed what i was saying.

the grammys celebrate artists correct? musicians used to be artists atleast... not just dumb popstars you know? and now especially in this time of political unrest throughout the world, we finally have something to take a big stand on and when the artists do the media looks the other way?

it just pisses me off... i mean all the stuff we see on tv and hear on the radio is total mindless bullshit... and it wouldn't be that way if the media wasn't so fucked up... and it wasn't just avrils jacket... the grammy ppl told all of the performers and all of the presenters that they were not allowed to talk about their particular stand on the war... hence everyone skirting around the subject...

melissa i totally understand where we live and what this country stood for... but under this current administration alot of things are subtly beginning to change and it scares the **** out of me... and there is alot of stuff this country stands for which i don't want to stand for (but that is a whole separate issue and its personal i won't blab on the boards about this... if you want to talk about it email me)

its not that i don't appreciate the fact that i can say that i don't agree with our government... no its not that at all... its just that right now in the midst of all this mindless crap, when an artist finally says something substancial or has a stance on something important other than fucking skater boys or whatever i think THAT is interesting and worth covering...

granted all people who make music aren't mindless etc... but its just what we are inondated with because that is what the media forces us to like and we make it popular...

its a money making machine the whole fucking showbiz industry... thats what it is biz... its no longer art.

and that makes me sad b/c performing arts is my life... and i don't know waht i'd do without it...

i hope you understand more fully what i was saying and where i am coming from.

February 25, 2003 11:45AM
that's cool...I totally respect your opinion and I do agree with some of it. But if they made the grammys into a forum to have artists voice their opinion about war and government it wouldn't be about the music anymore. I think it was a good call by organizers of the grammys to keep it about the music and away from all this other s*hit that we see on TV all day long. They can find other outlets to voice their opinions.

But, cool...I appreciate your response. I really do.

~MeLiSsA
February 25, 2003 11:49AM
their music IS their opinion... and their clothing and the whole way they carry themselves...

obviously we are looking at this from TWO separate sides you see people on the flashing screen strictly for entertainment...

i look and need and want for art in my life and i want to create it but i need to have it around me... and i think that it would be cooler and way more noble for something substancial...

having no war on your jacket, and talking for hours on the topic are TWO different things... you know? sure its a sensitive subject but why can't we aknowlage that the people infront of us are intellegent and informed human beings?

i dunno... thats just me i guess... and i find that sad.

am i truly the only one who wants more than just a pretty voice/face?

February 25, 2003 02:48PM
things that really annoyed me:

fred durst's political statement with the non-existant word AGREEANCE
avril's jacket
ja rule saying that the answer to terrorism is ASHANTI
etc etc

i stole this from erin/kelli after they got it off of matt good's website (and even though he is canadian, and a musician haha, i look to him for all of my political knowledge)moody smileyJason Siemer" writes?

?hey matt,

i notice you spend a lot of time bashing the US for it's past failures and probable future blunders, although you never recognize the positive elements of US involvement in other past world crises. it seems easy for a Canadian to sit back and criticize a government that gets involved in world affairs while your own government never takes the initiative help fix some of the world's problems. maybe if you'd whine more to your own government, they'd step up and offer a hand... at least it'd give you something else to talk about.?

Welcome to being American. Ignore the problem by accusing others of doing nothing. Ignore the problem by trying to dig up some past actions that might have you seen in a better light. How predictable. I come from a nation whose record of world service is plain enough to see. I am proud beyond words to come from a country and to be a part of a people that ask questions first and shoot later, if in fact we can remember where we keep our guns. I am proud to come from a nation that doesn?t feel the overwhelming need to darkly involve itself in the business of other governments and then wonder why it gets bitten in the ass because of it. If you?re looking for a deflection from the fact that your President is picking gnat **** out of pepper, you won?t find it here. Step up and offer a hand to do what? Deliver humanitarian aid? Our armed forces do more of that than fight, I can assure you. The fact that you know so little about us speaks to your ignorance. And it also says a lot about how a man as mind boggling as George Bush Jr. could have ever be elected to lead a nation.

----------------------------------

think about it.
February 25, 2003 03:17PM
>>>>But if they made the grammys into a forum to have artists voice their opinion about war and government it wouldn't be about the music anymore. I think it was a good call by organizers of the grammys to keep it about the music and away from all this other s*hit that we see on TV all day long. They can find other outlets to voice their opinions. <<<<

wow umm, I thought that a musicians music was their thoughts, their opinions, their voice, and hence when a show is recognizing them and giving awards......then well the artist should still have the right to speak their mind! Since when is it good to silence an artist??? or anyone for that matter? (well ok im not going to say i believe in all free speach. (EX:KKK))The grammy's is a forum for people to speak their minds, however, the producers and big wigs would rather hear people praise money grubbing corporations like sony, rather than hearing them talk about what is truly important. Trust me, the state of our country right now is waaaaay more important than some pop star......and well if a pop star can have their messege heard and have their fans realize this, then maybe it will make a difference. ya know? Besides the fact, that sometimes the best political speakers are musicians and performers(ex:bono from u2). I feel the day you shut the door to an artist expressing themselves......the music dies.....and hey if political unrest will raise music from the grave, then i say **** the grammy's for silencing someone's voice because they want to step on glass.
February 25, 2003 04:26PM
>>>And it also says a lot about how a man as mind boggling as George Bush Jr. could have ever be elected to lead a nation. <<<<

president by appointment, not election.....i have to point out that george dubya did not win the popular vote. sorry that statement just irritated me......i mean i cant stand bush and i wish we had another oswald, but the fact is bush was put into office by his cronies, not the american people.

(sorry for the lack of good grammar.....im tired)
February 25, 2003 04:51PM
woah... something this deep on the 9days board... where did all of the teeny boppers go?!?!

~Stef

I owe it all to you, every good thing that I do is you...
February 25, 2003 08:33PM
When I was in Australia....I prob. heard 10 times from people from the UK, Australia, NZ and even Bolgaria....yeah I really dont' like Americans because they are so egocentric but you are pretty cool

READ ME FIRST - I am not sure if this comes across really badly, i am not trying to diss you guys - i love you guys i am just trying to make what my brain is saying into text that you can read and hopefully almost get my point across.

hahah in fear of being beat up by all the americans on this board i will say no more

no lol

my opinion of americans.

i think this is now changing as the world opens up with the internet and whatsoever and the world gets closer together. news from all over the world is becoming easier and easier to access and we are not only shown what they want us to see anymore.

under no fault of their own americans seem to live in this world that is america america america. they (man i sound rude) you are taught from a young age all about your history and that your country is the best in teh world and whatever, from my (australian) perspective this is what it looks like. i am friends with many americans who travelled here and were like omg there is stuff outside of home. many of these people have actually moved here and are now australian citezens.

the best way to get along with people down here is to claim to be canadian. most of us are stupid enough to not realise teh whole accent thing smiling smiley

we are not the smartest people - we are convicts or decendents of them at least,

I think i sound like a really rude bitch in this post but oh well hate me if you like

grinning smiley

::::Waits to be beat up::::
February 25, 2003 10:21PM
its one thing if bono wants to speak his mind. its another if 17yo avril who dropped out of high school (POLITICALLY) speaks her mind.
February 25, 2003 11:09PM
No dont' worry. I dont' want to beat you up. I totally agree. Like I said I've done some traveling through Europe and Australia and some other places and it gives you a different perspective. I have plenty of American pride but I def. do not think this is the only country in the world like many do. If you took that from what I wrote I'm sorry...I didn't mean it that way. It's funny everyone from outside of the united states usually travels at some point when they are 20-25ish but Americans are like why do that? LOL. Who needs to see the rest of the world? But I think traveling is one of themost important things you can do, see other cultures, meet peopel different from you. I don't think there is anything better than that in life.
I'm planning my trip to go around the world next year. I'm really really excited.

~MeLiSsA
February 26, 2003 06:51AM
i am american. and i am seriously considering emigrating.

does that say something about america in general? i guess on some deep level... all it SHOULD say is that i'm pissed with how this country is run and i'm pissed with how we let it be bought and sold... its my opinion.. and if i was musicly inclined i'd SURE AS HELL write about it in my songs...

art is dead in america. just like democracy.

February 26, 2003 07:09AM
"...so to the parents of america, i am the derringer, aimed at little erica to attack her character, the ringleader of this circus of worhtless pawns, sent to lead the march right up to the steps of congress and piss on the lawns of the white house, to burn the casket and replace it with a parental advisory sticker, to spit liquor in the faces of this democracy of hypocracy, **** you ms. cheney, **** you tipper gore, **** you with the freest of speech this devided states of embarassment will allow me to have, **** you...ha ha ha, i'm just playin' america. you know i love you..."
-eminem

*the views and opinions expressed here are not necessarilly the views held by me, however, i do think that in his own extreme, angry and dramatic way he makes a point or two...that's all i'm saying...and i love him*

Post Edited (02-26-03 17:18)

rachel......
February 26, 2003 07:12AM
why does he have to be so violent? there are better ways to deal with things...

February 26, 2003 07:14AM
...yeah, he's a little bit angry...tee hee...i think it's funny....funny and sad....but he's actually gotten a lot less angry than he used to be.
February 26, 2003 07:17AM
and alot more stupid... i dunno

eminem= eh

boring to me you know?

February 26, 2003 07:54AM
you talk about aritists expressing themself....that's what he's doing. you can't be selective by your preferences on that. I think Eminem is incredibly talented and a genius as a bussiness man too.

You were saying that artists should be able to say what they want, that also has to include how they say it especially in their music.

Post Edited (02-26-03 17:09)

~MeLiSsA
February 27, 2003 11:43AM
eminiem is far from talented as his acting goes... his music isn't exactly my favorite you are right melissa, but i'm not taking much from you considering you don't really listen to the music, you just like the pretty melodies and words...

i mean that is what you meant right? by not actually liking music for the art in it? just sheer dumb entertainment?

February 27, 2003 11:55AM
oooh christina you will appreciate my anger at this conversation:
stupid girl in my spanish class "i really love the movie seven, it has hottie brad pitt in it. but eww it has that ugly actor morgan freeman in it too"
ME "ummm morgan freeman is a damn good actor"
stupid girl "i don't care how he acts, i only watch movies for how the guys look"
then i just rolled my eyes and was like "ugh"
ten minutes later....
stupid girl talking to her stupid friend "you know another actor that i don't like, he always plays creepy scary characters and is ugly, that actor kevin spacey"
ME "ummm have you ever seen the movie pay it forward?"
stupid girl "oh yea he's not creepy or scary in that one"
Me "yea in a lot of others too, not to mention he's one of the best actors out there"

Wow i really wanted to slap her, just because she is the reason hollywood and the music has died, she is the portrait child for why Americans are considered shallow and selfish.....and man i wish i wasn't lumped in with the rest of them......
February 27, 2003 11:58AM
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. (my reaction to madonna's conversation)

but in the end they are honestly missing out... i don't understand how you can be a fully developed human and live out life without art...

am i being elitest ?

February 27, 2003 12:01PM
That is definitely a setupid girl... I would be so pissed and probably want to punch her... Anyhow... there was a story in my campus newspaper today that a lot of ppl on this board would appreciate. And of course, I dont have the paper any more but it was about "music snobs" and how materialistic they are. There was one line in there like "What?!?! Your favorite artist was on mtv. Oh thats too bad that they are selling out like that" (non snob talking to a music snob) Just other things about people only caring about over-sold musicians and not giving a crap about other local, underground musicians or the not so popular ones. It was so well written! I think I'm gonna try to find myself a copy and then I'll post it here!

Colleen

February 27, 2003 12:53PM
christina....you really need to relax. You are right I don't listen to music.....who's says that? Not everyone gets the same thing out of every aspect of life. You need to realize that opinions are just that opinions. There is no reason to try to devalue someone's opinion so you feel like yours is more valid. Yes, I enjoy Eminem as well as Tupac, Peter, Paul and Mary, Billy Joel, Creed, showtunes....just about anything. I'm sorry that you see music as something very narrowed. Maybe you really just need a few more years to mature a little and realize that your opinion is no better than any one elses. It's an opinion. Not necessarily one that agrees with yours but it is still valid. There is no reason for you to get angry or annoyed by someone elses opinion and there is no reason for you to try to change it. You should just listen or read in this case and take it for what it is whether you agree or not.

I think I am an extremly cultured person. My parents exposed me to everything when I was younger from science to theatre to music to sports. They took me traveling all over the world and I have continued enjoying all of these things as an adult on my own.

I think that is one of the most important things I have learned in life...to take in everything around me. That includes having an open mind and valuing others opinions. You can really learn alot by listening to what others think about things...but the key aspect is to listen not shout over them.

Sorry for the negative post everyone....I'm usually not negative. But couldn't help this one.

Post Edited (02-27-03 22:27)

~MeLiSsA
February 27, 2003 01:01PM
Not negative, just expressing your opinion! No negativity! It's just opinions! smiling smiley

Colleen

February 27, 2003 01:28PM
How can you call someone an arisit when they don't do nething? Pop is the same thing as rap basically, no real talent..
Sure some can sing, but theirs more then that being an artist, oh I dunno maybe an musical instrament? what a crazy through...

&quot;How far you go just to destroy yourself. Tuck in your self esteem, it's falling out&quot;
February 27, 2003 01:43PM
dont rule out the entire genres of pop and rap unless youve heard every single song by every artist. i dont listen to either genre (in the modern sense) but the beatles were considered pop, and rap individualists like missy elliot and outkast and N.E.R.D. have extremely well produced albums, talent, etc.

kevin spacey is my favorite actor: AMERICAN BEAUTY (among others).

and no offense melissa, but i personally will never get the thing with CREED. i think even jesus hates creed.
February 27, 2003 01:56PM
aww that's harsh....I know alot of people don't like creed. My friend made fun of me because I always Scott Stapp was a born again christian but I never made any of the religious connections in weathered. There I was a Jewish girl from Long Island singing about christ and not even knowing it....LOL. I still love them though.

~MeLiSsA
February 27, 2003 02:20PM
melissa ur signature is one of my favorite lyrics from TMC

and jesus does hate creed, my friends tshirt told me

~SOFiA~

&quot;you wont hear me, still you endear me, now..woo woo&quot;
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π