ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The new tunes - Discuss.

Posted by Sketch01 

The new tunes - Discuss.
November 11, 2003 11:23PM
I actually brought my minidisc-man to the uni library today, so I finally get to hear the new tunes. Damn my halls of residence and there stupid lack of an internet connection...........

Anywho. I listened, and I listened some more, and I have to say, J.H's solo stuff is better (lyrically), of the four songs currently online. Go Here To Listen To Them

Sorry.

I'm gonna catch hell for this, I'm sure, but I won't be biased just because this is the band's board. 'Reality TV' is bad in my opinion.

If it's just meant as some kind of a big joke song then it works really well, but its just so damn lame lyrically I think. The collaborative Nine Days melodies and instrumental parts are more inventive in the band songs. But the lyrics are far better structured and compelling in the J.H stuff thats currently available.

Don't get me wrong, it has a nice tune, but there's nothing particularly interesting in the writing of that one.

It'll sell really well though. Especially if America is drowning in R-TV at the moment. Can you imagine the vid? It'd be a fun vid to shoot. If its made in a jokey way, then it'd be great.

I LOVE 'Worse than it Seems'. It has life. Lyrically and in the tune. Though its not as varied instrumentally as the Nine Days stuff, but then I guess its not meant to be. The acoustics of the song just punctuate the lyrics. Like full stops, and hyphons. That song is all about the writing. It makes a nice change for it to be up-beat aswell. Not that I should compare J.H's stuff with the older Nine Days collaborative stuff. Though its easy to do.

It just erupts on the chorus. And the ending is novel. With every one of the beats, your like 'no....no-no.....no...no-no, you ended. Damn.'

yawning smiley)

'Brand New Me' style-wise, sounds like a mergence of a few songs on 'The Madding Crowd' for some reason....... I get a hint of 'If I am' from somewhere. I'm not sure where. Maybe its just because its slower and its the same voice.

Oh and then there's '29 Year Old Girls'...... he says 'fucked' in that one. Heehee.

But seriously. I like that one much more than 'R-TV'....... Nice lyrics, and it's always worthwhile when John extends a word, because you can hear that 'coarse rasp' that he can do so well. Thats what I like about the voice personally. You can try and try to imitate it, but you just don't do it justice.

Now, Kelly Jones (< A guy) from the Stereophonics..... thats another good example of 'can I borrow your windpipe, mate....'

What are everybody elses honest opinions? I'm sure the band want to hear them. You are after all, supposed to be buying this music at the end of day.

Re: The new tunes - Discuss.
November 11, 2003 11:29PM
'Worse than it Seems' - Three times in a row and still salivating.

Go-go-gadget loop button.

yawning smileyP

November 12, 2003 12:36AM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
November 12, 2003 12:43AM
Reality TV is the type of song that is going to get NineDays back on a major label. Like it or not.

In that respect I love the song.

In another respect, the song is hookey and riffy. That is what catches most peoples ear.

Long live Reality TV ( at least the song, not the genre)
November 12, 2003 01:30AM
reality tv is a song i wrote in an hour,yup its a joke.i just really hate reality tv.because its not real anyway,its all staged.now we have the bachlorette and other actors from these shows on music channels giving opinions on things while my band an myself struggle to make money to buy peanutbutter an jelly,thats a joke.death to reality tv.maybe if ninedays gets inline for simon we can get another deal.ha
November 12, 2003 01:55AM
ha i love it ! YAY for a brian post !
reality tv is such an awesome joke song, who could take it as a serious song ?
personally ive loved 29 year old girls ever since i first heard at a show, its so good to finally be able to have these songs
as for the john songs. wow. amazing lyrics. ya gotta love it. its gunna take a while before i get tired of 'em.

*~katie~*
November 12, 2003 02:01AM
wow. a brian post. kick ass. i've already stated on other threads that i thoroughly enjoy all the songs, and i'll state it here, too: i thoroughly enjoy all the songs. reality tv is a lot of fun. it's great to see nine days poke fun at pop culture.

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

Nine Days and John Hampson music featured in my independent feature film "Will and Testament"!

Facebook Page for "Will and Testament"
IMDB Page for "Will and Testament"
November 12, 2003 02:10AM
nice brian, i hate that **** too. esp those daytime ones, like elimidate and the fifth wheel. the home decorating shows get on my nerves too, but not nearly as much. they only slam us with reality tv because they dont have to pay the actors, and and poor white trash will do anything to be on tv for 30 seconds.

-Brian
November 12, 2003 02:34AM
Reality TV gets stuck in my head ...but that's a good thing

~Ryan~
November 12, 2003 04:29AM
in line for simon? what does he mean?

rachel......
November 12, 2003 04:34AM
I think maybe simon from american idol?

&quot;What do you love about music? To begin with...everything&quot;
November 12, 2003 04:58AM
Hey Rach..

why dont you just relax with that whole Steadman thing--

dont make me ban you!!
November 12, 2003 05:18AM
November 12, 2003 09:21AM
<<And I do think that 'Reality TV' might actually get some really good airplay.>>

I agree, probably not to the degree of Absolutely, but I think it could be a hit. Speaking of hits/air play it's amazing how many people know If I Am is by Nine Days too, because I never thought it got that much radio play (Guess I was wrong though)
November 12, 2003 09:28AM
I think Reality TV is... okay. It just sounds too mainstream... are people going to hate me for saying this? it's not a bad song, hahaha. it's pretty good i suppose. Haha. I dunno, some great bands have those songs taht get popular because they somewhat sound similar to what people already like, yeah? and then they get trashed by all the love.

i say they put out something original. which we all know nine days can do that. smiling smiley anyone agree? or am i alone on this haha.
November 12, 2003 09:36AM
Shut up Scott. I thought what Rachel thought too.

PS- Did you guys hear that Bachelor Bob made his own CD thats coming out in a few weeks? And the first single? A cover of a song by a not-very-well-known band July For Kings. Ugh. I hate Bachelor Bob.

November 12, 2003 09:41AM
what was brian's last "fun" song? the end of agent bobby roe? i guess bob dylan was fun... well, the opposite of heartfelt and sad.

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

Nine Days and John Hampson music featured in my independent feature film "Will and Testament"!

November 12, 2003 09:53AM
The new songs are ok IMO.
They are different, i'll give them that. I'm still sitting on the fence a bit. I agree with princ3ssfrances, it sounds a little bit mainstream (mainly Reality TV). In saying that they are still good songs (i've only heard RTV and 29yo girls). Not like the "big sound" of SHU, and not as quirky as TMC, I am sure there are a few hints of the pre TMC albums though.

Johns voice is in great form on 29yo Girls I will say!
I can't wait for the album, because ANY ND music is GOOD music!

Glen
November 12, 2003 10:36AM
Just want to point out, doesn't "Absolutely (Story Of A Girl)" sound a little "mainstream?" And isn't that the reason 90% of us are here?

What is "mainstream" though? Let's see ...the radio stations that play all the hits play Eminem rapping about his mom, American Idol winners, and spiky-haired, rat looking kids singing about being rejected by your parents or sneaking out at night.

~Ryan~
November 12, 2003 11:34AM
i'm with you ryan.

i mean, it pisses me when ppl get all "purist" and diss "story," cause if it wasn't for that song, i never would have discovered the 60+ others the band has put out.

-Bryce, Utah
November 12, 2003 11:41AM
=T

Absolutely is one of my favorite songs... was that mainstream? Haha. It was like one of the first few alternative songs I listened to so I have no clue.

er maybe i shouldn't have said that mainstream stuff.

i'm not trying to say anything is wrong with the music. i'm sure it'd do great.

i'm still surprised why If I Am didn't do well though. hm. =(

Whatever smiling smiley
<3 Frances

<i>we're the coolest kids and we take what we can get / just jealous cuz we're young and in love</i> soco.
November 12, 2003 12:35PM
yeah, i hate the term mainstream. i also hate the term emo. but the term i hate the most: sellout. people say those terms so much without knowing what they mean that they've lost all meaning (and i don't really think they had much meaning to begin with). that's my rant. take it as it is smiling smiley

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

November 12, 2003 01:56PM
I know what you mean about reality TV.....but i guess u just need to understand that it's pretty toung and cheek, and you need listen to it in the right mindset. If your expecting a serious song, then yes, it will suck. But i guess if u just think of it as a little joke than you can get a kick out of it.

~Tommy

&quot;...now everyone elses heartbreak should be measured by my pain, and all the beauty in this world has spirled down the drain...&quot; ~ J-money
November 12, 2003 02:09PM
I like the songs. "Reality TV" is just a little on the cheesy side, though none of the songs are breakthrough singles. Maybe they are saving the better stuff for the album. I wish the quality of recording could have been better, but then again, with no label supporting them, what more can you ask for.

November 12, 2003 11:46PM
November 13, 2003 01:53AM
Wow. That put a cat amongst pigeons.

....'It'll sell really well though. Especially if America is drowning in R-TV at the moment. Can you imagine the vid? It'd be a fun vid to shoot. If its made in a jokey way, then it'd be great.'......

Thanks for posting Brian.

I assumed that it might be a comical song. It just seemed a little out-of-place, when you compare it to stuff that's on say 'TMC'. Unfortunately, you are probably right, it would take a tune like 'R-TV' to be noticed, again. And its all due to the very people you're trying to sell records too..... me and them. 'Jo and Jane Public'. Damn the simple, easily-pleased mind of the consumer market.

A song like 'R-TV' in a country where, as you state, reality is paramount at the moment would be snapped up. Its just the making sure that new fans realise what you guys are truly capable of as and when you can, shortly after.

Mesmerise them with your mad skills. Oh yes, I is down wit it. yawning smiley)

And lets not jump to conclusions about the album people, I was just airing my views on the current online stuff. I can do that. It's the point of the board.

November 13, 2003 02:19AM
November 13, 2003 02:29AM
If I, and indeed you didn't.

We, wouldn't be here.

November 13, 2003 02:34AM
November 13, 2003 02:36AM
I'm not going to disagree.

;.;.;.;.;.;.

yawning smileyP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π