ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Why were nine days dropped by sony?

Posted by USAFALL2004 

Why were nine days dropped by sony?
November 27, 2003 11:02PM
How comes nine days were dropped by sony when their 1st single and album was massive in america! Why don't they just get a new record deal, I am sure they could get signed up easily with all this new music they keep producing. Plus it's better when your with a label (music videos,world tours,tv appearnces ,live dvds,clothing lines, biographys,merchandise, and you win awards etc......) they won't get to do any of this sort of stuff without a label.

Post Edited (11-28-03 08:03)

http://www.hyperlaunch.com/snowpatrol/eyesopen/

***It's hard to argue when your making sense***
Re: Why were nine days dropped by sony?
November 27, 2003 11:28PM
they were dropped, now theyre releasing stuff on their own label. and they dont get screwed over with the chance of being dropped and losing another album to corporatism again
November 27, 2003 11:31PM
After recording 'The Madding Crowd', Nine Days recorded a second, phenomenal album called 'So Happily Unsatisfied. If you're interested in downloading the album, here's a link...www.h2oeurope.com/ninedays.html. It's well worth your time. After the recording and mixing sessions were done, though, their wonderful label, Sony, started giving them hell, the end result being that Nine Days and Sony separated. However, Nine Days are unable to officially release 'So Happily Unsatisfied', since Sony owns the rights to the recordings.

So the band decided to take matters into their own hands, and have now written, recorded, mixed and produced a whole new album all by themselves. It's tentatively titled 'Flying The Corporate Jet', and has 5 Brian songs and 5 John songs on it. It's going to be amazing.

In between Sony giving the band bullshit and their haggling with a smaller label, John felt he had a whole bunch of songs that he'd written that he wanted to release, since he couldn't just sit on the sidelines while the songs were begging to be written and released. Thus, he recently came out with his solo 5-track EP, titled 'Seventeen Minutes and Thirty-Eight Seconds In The Dark', which; you guessed it, is amazing too. You can buy it online at www.johnhampson.com/media.html,
THIS IS NOT A NINE DAYS RECORD.
It's John's solo effort. The new album will be released towards the end of 2003. the end..........................
November 28, 2003 12:35AM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
November 28, 2003 03:14AM
erm..what do you mean by "The new album will be released towards the end of 2003"? do you mean there's another album??
November 28, 2003 03:16AM
That's just old, its been released already. I was listening to it last night in fact.

---Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost, What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind---
November 28, 2003 03:43AM
that album is flying the corporate jet...

and usa, while you're right they get to do world tours/music videos etc with a major recording label, you sacrifice your artistry and your music loses heart b/c it becomes a marketable product instead of an extension of yourself.

nd had issues with that. so they're independent now and they're music is beautiful ;o)

November 28, 2003 06:20AM
November 28, 2003 06:55AM
i know most of the story of ninedays and epic/sony, but what was the reasoning behind ninedays leaving sony / sony dropping ninedays?

November 28, 2003 08:11PM
story of a girl was one of the most downloaded songs of all times, hitting the top at the same time that napster did. if everyone who downloaded it would have bought the cd, they probably wouldnt have gotten dropped. sony isnt the assh0le, they have to make money just like the rest of us... maybe their stratigies just arent as easily approved by the fans. i had to do a ten page research page on the topic, and the truth is they are actually cutting a lot more than nine days. they just dont want the same thing to happen again ("Absolutely")

Post Edited (11-29-03 05:13)

-Brian
November 29, 2003 01:27AM
So Lars Ulrich did have a valid point! Whaddayaknow?

November 29, 2003 02:13AM
November 29, 2003 02:19AM
EEK!

I was kidding.

November 29, 2003 02:21AM
I understand what you're saying about downloading "Absolutely", but I know a lot of times I'll download one song by someone, but I don't like that song enough to spend $20 for the whole cd. If i like that band's second or third song, then I will buy the cd. Maybe if Sony had pushed "If I Am" a little more, more people would have bought TMC. I could be wrong, it's just my opinion.

"What do you love about music? To begin with...everything"
November 29, 2003 02:28AM
I think it's a shame that only 2 singles were released from The Madding Crowd, and that only one of them was really pushed. The record company - intentionally or otherwise - lined Nine Days up to be one-hit wonders. Kinda like with 3eb, except they released a decent amount of singles from their debut (not the best songs though: As if "Losing a Whole Year" is single material) so they at least had a fighting chance.

There is enough material on TMC to have had 4 or 5 hits. Maybe if Napster hadn't been in it's prime at the time and Absolutely hadn't been so widely pillaged, Sony would have been more confident in promoting the band.

I suppose the whole Sony debacle is in some sense and example of an extreme consequence to illegally downloading music.

November 29, 2003 03:05AM
November 29, 2003 02:44PM
It's very true. Xyzbo, Sony IS the *******. Have you listened to So Happily Unsatisfied???? (I'm sure you have it's just me making my point in dramatic fashion). Good Friend was an awesome single choice, and a lot of others on the album could have been as well. It is a BEAUTIFUL disc. The thing that makes me laugh is...who took their place? Maybe Audioslave? HAH.
November 29, 2003 04:13PM
I have to disagree. I think "Good Friend" was a terrible, terrible choice for a followup to "Absolutely," because only .0001% of the population ever heard "If I Am." This record was going to come out like two years after the release of TMC. By that time, it's like they had to have another breakthrough song to get them back into the music world again, and I don't think "Good Friend" was a Good Choice.

November 29, 2003 04:27PM
Good Friend received considerable play on the radio late in the summer of 2002 when the album was still scheduled to be released soonafter, before they got **** canned by Sony.

- Brian
www.3eb.co.uk
November 29, 2003 05:06PM
It's a good song, but it's more of a slow ballad in the world of Nine Days. I never once heard it on the Top 40 station down here in good 'ol Georgia, but I strongly feel that the record label is 100% the blame.

November 29, 2003 11:43PM
November 30, 2003 01:22AM
i LOVED emily... i wish they put that out...

November 30, 2003 03:22AM
"Favorite Song" and "Emily" are both strong singles and what makes SHU more of a ninedays "rock" album.

November 30, 2003 03:54AM
i wish i had shu to listen to right now... i LOST my copy! LMAO...

November 30, 2003 05:06AM
i only heard "good friend" once on the radio (down in georgia) and it was on some random station that wasn't coming in well at all. "if i am" has got to be my favorite song on TMC, but it didn't get much airplay either. there are a lot of bands out there who have suffered from everyone downloading songs off of programs like napster, but sony should have had more confidence in their music. did they not listen to the record? come on now. oh and "favorite song" was definitely the single, but i do like "good friend" smiling smiley

*Life is not as much about saying hello, as it is goodbye*
November 30, 2003 06:29AM
If I Am got Played A LOT here.... and I don't listen to the radio so that's a credit if I know it's rotation record...
November 30, 2003 08:32AM
I never listen to the Top 40 stations here in New Orleans ...I've never heard "If I Am" and heard "Good Friend" once, it was on a countdown of the "Top 105 songs of the new millennium" ...was places somewhere in the 50s if I remember correctly.

~Ryan~
November 30, 2003 10:03AM
I heard "If I Am" once, maybe twice on the radio and I never heard "Good Friend" I live in central NJ and the radio stations I listen to the most are from NYC. I find it kind of sad that the singles weren't played on some of the major radio stations in the city right next to the place where the band got its start and where there are a lot of fans.

"What do you love about music? To begin with...everything"
November 30, 2003 05:05PM
um yeah, good friend kinda sucked if you compare it to other nine days songs musically and in the depth of lyrics... i mean i like it and all, but it's different from what you should expect from them. sony isnt the *******, that's just your point of view. im sorry to say, but the downloaders (NOT napster and NOT sony) are indirectly responsible for their (and hundreds of other artists) being dropped.

and btw, they play good friend on XM all the time

-Brian
November 30, 2003 09:55PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π