ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Abercrombie and Fitch on 60 Minutes

Posted by Bones45 

Re: Abercrombie and Fitch on 60 Minutes
December 10, 2003 07:46AM
So what should we call black people? At the end of the day, their skin is as black as white people's is white, which admittedly isn't very much, more brown and pink. You can't call black people coloured because it implies white people are colourless.

What adjectives is it acceptable to use in describing someones race?

Post Edited (12-10-03 16:49)

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
December 10, 2003 07:48AM
Would that make me a north american american?

no..

Blacks are erroneously called "African American" because their ancestors may have come from Africa. It has nothing to do with their skin tone.
December 10, 2003 07:52AM
why dont you call people who were born in Ireland and moved to America, Irish Americans? cause no one cares. they look the same as me, so there's no reason to differentiate.

~SOFiA~

"you wont hear me, still you endear me, now..woo woo"
December 10, 2003 07:56AM
I'm clueless as to my heritage. I don't have a particularly 'together' family.

I'm just SketcH. I'm just Human. And I couldn't give a crap about which flag goes where, because I'm quite happy just to be here.

The sooner we rely less on skin colour, religion and 'whose side' we are on. The closer we will be as a planet.

I mean. What is a flag? Its an identifier in sport. And it's history. And if you check back over history, it's because of all of the above three reasons that we end up in so much pain and anguish in the first place.

United we stand. Divided we fall.

That's how I see it. You may not. But I do.

December 10, 2003 07:57AM
Surely if you were born in Ireland, and moved to America, you wouldn't be American at all?? You'd be an Irishman who emigrated to America.

My dad was born in Zambia in Africa, but both his parents were English, and both of my parents are English. Why would he be refered to as African just because thats where his parents were when he was born?

Post Edited (12-10-03 16:58)

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
December 10, 2003 12:43PM
Um.......My family crossed the big blue wet thingy for that one voyage to establish Jamestown. We've been here ever since....although I can't figure out why we're in Kentucky
December 10, 2003 12:45PM
Perhaps we could call them negros? Or is the scientific term not PC enough?

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
December 10, 2003 12:47PM
or we could not call them aanything acept....gasp! People?
December 10, 2003 12:49PM
Then please don't refer to me as white or Asians as Asian. Do away with nationality altogether, because that would infer difference. Come to think of it, so do names in general. And you'd better not tell me I have curly hair, you prejudiced bastards, or I'll take your ass to court.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
December 10, 2003 01:01PM
i think you should be called whatever u want to be called.
I want to be called Princess Sofia from now on, so do it.

~SOFiA~

December 10, 2003 01:04PM
I'm sorry, but "Princess" indicates that you are female, and females were discriminated against throughout history, so I cannot refer to you a "Princess" and still live up to my personal moral fortitude.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
December 10, 2003 01:10PM
mike ur allowed to call people negro if u want to, theyr just gonna get mad at u for it. Especially when it is well known that most people dont like that term. Its kinda like how im gonna get mad at you if you dont call me Princess Sofia.

~SOFiA~

December 10, 2003 01:12PM
But why do people get mad if I call them negro? It's science. I don't get mad if you call me a caucasian.

I could try nigga. They don't get mad at each other when they're called nigga, so maybe they won't get mad at me. I just want to live in peace. Doesn't anyone understand that?

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
December 10, 2003 01:18PM
the history of the word negro suggests that the user of the word isn't exactly the most friendly guy. When you're dealing with peoples opinions and morals you gotta go beyond using science words and take some more factors into consideration. But i mean if your just discribing a color, and nothing personal,i say go for it.

~SOFiA~

December 10, 2003 02:02PM
One of the biggest problems is what one person says is acceptable is unacceptable to others. Some find "black" offensive, yet think "african-american" is fine, while some people don't like "african-american." There's no one term that everyone agrees with for someone of african descent, but white is basicly the universal term and most people find it perfectly fine. There's always going to be contoversy until race/nationality isn't used to distingish between people, which, lets face it, is probably not going to happen any time soon.

"What do you love about music? To begin with...everything"
December 10, 2003 02:06PM
this is a phenomenally intelligent thread. all of your views are intriguing, and the arguments mature and well thought out. kudos to you all!

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

Nine Days and John Hampson music featured in my independent feature film "Will and Testament"!

Facebook Page for "Will and Testament"
IMDB Page for "Will and Testament"
December 10, 2003 02:14PM
I was just watching the news and they had a preview for what was coming up next. Supposedly a&f is pulling their catalog because it's just too "sexy" to sell.

"What do you love about music? To begin with...everything"
December 10, 2003 06:48PM
A&W claims to have all american food, but there isnt one american working there.

and pizza isnt actaully italian...

but anyone should be able to sell there, it has nothing to do with chinese people making their food. what the person looks like should not have an effect on the sales of the clothes. english majors please correct me again on the effect/affect??!

-Brian
December 11, 2003 02:57AM
All hail the incredible PRINCESS SOFIA.

....nevermind....

Post Edited (12-11-03 21:05)

~lori~
December 11, 2003 03:28AM
Lori---

is that the best you can offer to this thread?

comon now!!!
December 11, 2003 03:37AM
Yeah, pizza really is Italian. Granted, American pizza is nothing like real Italian pizza, but Italian-derived none the less.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
December 11, 2003 04:48AM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
December 11, 2003 05:52AM
I don't post here all that often, but I read the boards a lot....I had to post to this.

I worked at Abercrombie for 2 years when I was 18 & 19 years old....i'm 22 now. The reason I quit was because of stuff like this. My boss was awesome, he hired people if he thought they were good workers, we definetely didn't have all hot people working there at that point. Anyways, when our district manager would come in, he would go up to certain 'not hot' workers and tell them that their job was to put tags and censors on clothes in the back, and he'd tell my boss that they couldn't work on the floor anymore.

We were told to not only turn down people who wanted to apply if they didn't fit the look (exp. tell them we aren't hiring, we're out of applications, etc.) , but we were also told to offer jobs to people shopping in the store if they did fit the look (which annoys a lot of shoppers).

Anyways, I understand the reasoning behind why they do it, like the original poster said, but I can see why they're getting sued too. Both sides have a point. Just from working there though, I can say that they are not subtle at all about who they do and do not want working there.

~Jamie~

I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwell ~ Matchbox 20
December 11, 2003 10:10AM
She also said "its" instead of "it's." I'd not take grammar advice from the likes of her, but that is a much older and much larger issue that need not be delved into.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
December 11, 2003 10:28AM

I was curious to see who this 'StarBaybie' character was, when she posted on a thread about two weeks back.

Crikey!

That's all I'm saying.

December 11, 2003 10:45AM

Why do models never smile?

Not specifically aimed at anyone in particular, but generally they just don't. Then again. If you see some of the crap these 'beautiful people' have to adorn in certain popular 'fashion' shows then you can atleast understand that part of it.....

'Oh God. Look at me. I'm a joke...... Wha? They're taking pictures out there?! But my left boob is, well........ it's right there! Look. You can plainly see through this bloody thing. If you think I'm going out there looking like a prat you are gravely mistaken. Here, have your silly 'dress' back, you crazy loons!' *Hands over a couple of threads worth of uber-expensive dress*

Haha.

And thats another thing, 'fashion' is never fashionable. I mean, I'm yet to spot a woman walking down the street, doing that funky little 'waddle' wearing some crazy, part see through, one boob visible, low-back dress in ridiculously uncomfortable shoes and a hat that could quite possibly crush their spine.

I find large 'fashion' houses amusing. As you can plainly see.

Heehee.

yawning smileyP

Post Edited (12-11-03 19:59)
December 12, 2003 04:24PM
yes, italian derived

-Brian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π