ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Thoughts on FTCJ...

Posted by Chris Greenwood 

Re: Thoughts on FTCJ...
January 16, 2004 03:50AM
sure its not the greatest, but its not like they took all the time in the world to put it together...im sure if they had had the opportunity to really do it the way they had wanted it would have been far better...i personally think it came out damn good for what they were working with...
everyone i know who has it thinks that although it is very different from anything they have ever done, it is still very good...when i tell them how it was made they see why it sounds more like a spilt cd...but everyone still loves nine days just as much...and all of fans i have recruited here really really want them to come up here so they can join in the fun of seeing nine days live...3 of 4 rooms in my part of the building already have copies of ftcj and pictures of the residents with nine days

*~katie~*
January 16, 2004 04:52AM
I'm really getting afraid I'm the only one who likes every second of 17 and 33 AND Reality TV.... and actually I like every second of every song from FTCJ... except Wonderful.

I like the different voices, the totally different songs, the instrumental parts... everything... Am I the only one who thinks it's better than TMC? (but... not better than SHU maybe)

Post this image everywhere you can, in avatars, signatures, just everywhere
January 16, 2004 04:53AM
Fear not...

I spoke to Brian at the last show and mentioned that I really like 17 and 33. He replied that alot of people are liking that song but he considers it "not finished"
January 16, 2004 05:03AM
Find the first (or actually second) person who really loves both 17 and 33 AND Reality TV...

January 16, 2004 06:19AM
me, baby. me. both are great songs (especially 17 and 33). brian was great on this album. he really shined. john was, of course, great, too, but he had his solo ep. i'm glad brian has one more song than john on this album. i was missing brian (only two and 1/2 songs on SHU).

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

Nine Days and John Hampson music featured in my independent feature film "Will and Testament"!

Facebook Page for "Will and Testament"
IMDB Page for "Will and Testament"
January 16, 2004 06:55AM
I like both CD's just as much as any of their previous material produced. I personally like when there is a creative indifference between the 2 guys. It was always like this and I wouldn't want that to change now.
Everyone in earlier posts had wanted to hear more Brian written songs and they got it!
Brian and John are like a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich. Some people like peanut butter without the jelly and Vice Versa but most people like them together. I find it amazing that people might think that John does not like Brians music, but thats not the case.He just stated that it was different to what they usually do.
When I first heard "The Madding Crowd" I didn't even need to look at the CD to find out who wrote what. As time goes on other Nine Days fans will know just as the words begin who wrote it. Where else can you find a song full of hatred on the same CD as a Love song. You would all agree that "Bitter" is much different than "Absolutely" and for many many years it has always been like that. John is the love song guy and Brian is the hate song guy. Brian loves to write about parties and fun. It's amazing that they both have such different creative styles but in the end it all sounds great.In the end it all sounds like Nine Days...
The one thing I love the most is that even though they are both different creative wise the harmonies and riffs always seem to blend to make a great song.
I would like to point out that Paul McCartney and John Lennon were different in every aspect and they did quite well.
The Beatles were completely different in every aspect but yet the music always came out as Beatle style material.
I really think that this was a perfect post and has opened the door for many to voice their opinions in a civil manner. This is the reason why John responded so quickly. I do believe that everyone has been fair in their reviews and this will only help them down the road.
So a big thanks to Chris for strumming the chord on this subject. It really did alot of good because it shows the differences in the fans taste in the music. It has also shown that the fans not only care about hte band but also care about the other fans and their opinions.Other boards would have filled this post with junk but you all helped in making it an intellectual subject that can only help down the road.
January 16, 2004 07:08AM
I personally can't say I love "reality tv" but I am greatly ammused by it all. I was always telling people how pointless those reality shows were before the album was released, and when I heard the song I found it hilarious. Now, yes, the song may not have awesome lyrics, or even a lot of thought behind it, but everyone's gotta have fun right? Let them do their thing...

As for 17 and 33, I do love that song, I usually skip a few songs (not because i don't like them) to get to the track quicker, it's such a unique sound! It also reminds me a lot of their older albums. So you're not alone Meelman...I'm for those songs 100%
January 16, 2004 07:51PM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
January 16, 2004 07:52PM
I think that this is prehaps the best post I have read in my time browsing this board (just under a year I think). I'm glad that we have a post that we can all voice our opinions in a civilised manner on the new album.

I love the new album, it's different, but it's still fuckin awesome (hey John & Brian swear in their music, so why shouldnt we be able to swear in our posts concerning it). Any ND music, be it old or new, is good music. I bought TMC in December 2000 and havn't looked back since. This band is easily my favourite, they're 2nd to none. I don't know what it is about ND that keeps me hooked, I have never liked a band before for this amount of time, maybe it's just the fact that they never fail to release top quality material time and time again.

Brian's music really shines on this album, Goodbye, Wonderful, 17 and 33 are the best songs i've heard from him (in my opinion). It almost seems like John takes a backseat on this album, allthough The Moment is possibly one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard, I absolutely love it and it's my fave on the CD. And I just adore the musical part of Devil That You Know which roars into life at around the 4:45min mark, every instrument gels, and the resulting melody just blows me away every time.

I find it both an insult and a tragidy to all that is good in the world, that the guys arnt signed to a major label, it's just crazy!

Anyway, I didnt really do any comparisons between albums because I love TMC, SHU, and FTCJ each equally for different reasons...and i'd be here all night!

I hope John and Brian (and hey maybe even Nick and Vinnie are lurking here somewhere?) are reading this thread and not taking any offence to what people are saying, because it is constructive criticisim, not bashing. I think at the end of the day they can hold their heads high, because the majority of people here love the album, and they've done a fantastic job with limited resources and money to churn out a kick ass CD.

Glen

January 16, 2004 09:05PM
Look at this part of Reality TV:

"In Hollywood now he's got a record deal
But he was never too satisfied with the songs he'd steal
Why don't you
Sow your own sow your own
Wait a minute we'd forgotten that he don't care"

This IS the truth, and compare it with the situation of Nine Days... I think Brian wants to say a whole lot with this song. It's a message to everyone out there, that's obvious.

January 17, 2004 02:28AM
yeah it is, reality tv is full of stuff like that...thats why i love it...i know its not a masterpiece like the other stuff brian's written, but i love the message it has...and every time i see a 'behind reality tv' special i think about how perfect reality tv would be in it...

17 and 33 kicks ass...i love that song...the countryness is greatness...

i love ftcj....all of it...

<3 i love nine days...always and forever <3

*~katie~*
January 17, 2004 02:55AM
i love the way reality tv is sung, and i hate american idol... i dont understand why people dont like this song ..i think its the best on FTCJ

~SOFiA~

&quot;you wont hear me, still you endear me, now..woo woo&quot;
January 17, 2004 02:58AM
i cant believe you dont like wonderful meelman! haha i love that song esp that one part, i think you know what im talking about. its at 1:50 or something, im not going to look for it now. eh anyways i dont like reality tv so its cool smiling smiley

Post Edited (01-17-04 11:59)

-Brian
January 17, 2004 03:14AM
Wonderful is not a bad song, but it's my least fave, I don't think it's very special, just a general love song. Besides that Brian's voice is better on the other songs I think. Ok, the part you're talking about is good, but the beginning of the song... meh, I dunno. Maybe I expected too much of that song. Most people here were saying, wow, such a great song, finally on an album, because they did it live (that gives people other opinions about songs I think, special feelings to it and that may be another reason most people like it more than I do...).

Besides that the song is between Goodbye and Something has gone wrong... So... Wonderful sounds just so general in that case...

January 17, 2004 04:09AM
why is everyone hating on Wonderful... it's my favorite song on the cd!......

forget all you... Wonderful is wonderful

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Eric
January 17, 2004 04:10AM
I don't hate it

---Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost, What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind---
January 17, 2004 04:24AM
Frogmush, that is so untrue! Everyone, except me, here LOVES Wonderful, I've never seen anyone else here who thought it was the worst on FTCJ.

I'm the only one here I think.

January 17, 2004 04:29AM
oh ok..... well then.. you suck...... lol.. j/k smiling smiley

Eric
January 17, 2004 04:38AM
And once again, I don't hate it, I like it.

...not as much as the other 8 songs.

January 17, 2004 04:49AM
I don't even know titles of the songs of the album, since I always listen to it with my discman and leave the case at home.

But I noticed one thing: John's songs are definately the better ones, and his website demos would have been on FTCJ it would've been a cool thing
January 17, 2004 05:36AM
Just read John's letter to us all, first off, THANKYOU to John for for writing that. He says the record could have been much better, I think he's being pretty firm on himself but I think that's very positive and shows he still has very high standards and still wants to reach them. Also what he says about being a five-piece is a very good point, this is essentially a two-man effort rather than being a real group effort.

Couple of people seem to have misunderstood some of what I've said so I'll just make it all a bit clearer.

I'm not "dissing" the band AT ALL, I'm very pleased and relieved they brought out FTCJ when they did.

Reality TV does have an important truthful message and I'd rather have it on there than not. Also I think parts of the song (basically not the chorus) are very very good, the lyrics Meelman cited (especially "sow your own, sow your own") are really well thought out. It's the chorus that really really lets the song down for me.

17 and 33... it's purely a matter of taste I guess, Bones quoted John as saying it's "not finished", would have been interesting to hear a completed version.

This is probably my last post on this thread unless something major comes to light, so I'll just leave you with a couple of things to remember. I was commenting on the album musically as a disc in comparison to the other albums as pieces of music. If you take into account what they've been through, the release date they were aiming for and relationships between members it's a miraculous achievement.

John's post answered alot and I've no doubt he took some time reading this thread... I think he does sort of admit that this isn't Nine Days at their brilliant best and I guess that's achieved the fundamental reason why I started this post - I wanted John/Brian to know what I and other fans thought and I did intend for them to be able to have their say too. So all in all I'm satisfied, especially pleased that John seems to imply that he thinks they can (and will) give us another brilliant album as opposed to a very good one.

I think Nine Days are a brilliant band, John is a great guy who cares for his fans like no other, and I do think FTCJ is a good album and that "29 Year Old Girls" is as good as anything they've written. I'd just like to see an album that's a little longer, better produced (if possible) and more like a Nine Days album rather than a half-John half-Brian album.

Rock on ND, Peace out all and thankyou so much for the response.

Now I wanna be
Where you sleep
Where you lie
Where you breathe
January 17, 2004 06:33AM
My friend actually found about ninedays because she downloaded reality tv too.

---Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost, What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind---
January 17, 2004 08:35AM
johns always harder on himself than he should be...he always thinks he sucks and is like did you hear my mistake on whatever song...perhaps ive been too drunk to notice, but it always sounds good to me...none of his songs suck and ive never seen him suck at any show

Post Edited (01-17-04 17:37)

*~katie~*
January 17, 2004 08:22PM
Chris, that John thinks it's not their best, doesn't make it a fact. You put it like a fact that it's not as good as the others because John says that, but it's a matter of opinion. I think it's at least as good as their other stuff. Also the production. Listen to Something Has Gone Wrong for example.... That sounds like a damn good production... just so finished...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π