ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Newsday

Posted by Gretsch 

Newsday
February 25, 2004 12:06AM
Anyone see the Glen Gamboa piece in today's Newsday? He gave JH the "song of the week" and went on about how great his new stuff is saying that "Sweeter Than" could be JH's 2nd #1 single. He also thinks/hopes that the Mercury show will "ignite a bidding war" between labels....Let's hope so!

Re: Newsday
February 25, 2004 12:22AM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
February 25, 2004 12:55AM
same here it's very addicting
February 25, 2004 01:31AM
Here it is

SONG OF THE WEEK: Like Jonatha Brooke, John Hampson didn't have a good major-label experience. Hampson and his band Nine Days managed to hit No. 1 with the irresistible single "Absolutely (Story of a Girl)," and yet Epic Records declined to release a follow-up CD, presumably because it spent so much cash on Michael Jackson debacles and J.Lo "Flashdance" videos that there was no money to promote the Long Island boys.

Hampson's new EP, "seventeenminutesandthirtyeightsecondsinthedark" (Dirty Poet, available at www.johnhampson.com), is filled with great rocking pop songs, a collection that is far stronger than anything industry darlings John Mayer, Jason Mraz and Gavin DeGraw have put out recently.

The best of the bunch is "Sweeter Than," a cool love song that is so catchy it could easily become Hampson's second No. 1 single, given the right help. Hampson's voice is as edgy-sweet as ever - effective on clever lines about being smitten, like "I'm hung up like a frame." It's even better when combined with "Sweeter Than's" Ben Folds-y piano riff and enough rock guitars to keep the emo boys happy, though the straightforward "Ultimate Love Song" may be more up their alley.

How messed up is the music industry when its execs don't even know a great pop song when it hits them over the head? That may be changing, though. Hampson is set for an industry showcase at The Mercury Lounge on Monday, which will hopefully ignite a bidding war for his much-needed services.
February 25, 2004 02:09AM
AHHHHHHHHH *JUMPS IN THE AIR FOR JOY*

oh god. mmm bidding war! yay! i'm soooooo excited. ;o)... john will brighten the music indutries dark days...

February 25, 2004 03:24AM
Great article, but I disagree with the thing he said about Sweeter Than... I love it, but I love the other four songs more, definately.

Post this image everywhere you can, in avatars, signatures, just everywhere
February 25, 2004 03:27AM
ahhh glen gamboa is my new favorite person !!!

thats what i like to hear : )

*~katie~*
February 25, 2004 03:33AM
February 25, 2004 03:54AM
um how about ULTIMATE LOVE SONG or BRAND NEW ME... hmmm

February 25, 2004 04:34AM
February 25, 2004 04:47AM
erm, in my opinion those are better. but w/e ;o)

February 25, 2004 04:48AM
They are all bloody great!

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
February 25, 2004 05:35AM
I agree with sofi! I love em all!
February 25, 2004 07:57AM
Personally, my favorite solo John song is Brand New Me. However, its not on the ep. Of the five on the EP, The In-Crowd is hands down my favorite, but Sweeter Than is definitely #2.

~lori~
February 25, 2004 08:18AM
wow if john gets signed to a major label (hopefully not the end of ninedays although its awesome that brian is also recordin solo stuff) but back to the point that would make the e.p. (17minsand38secsinthedark) super rare!! which although i hav eno intention of selling would be pretty rad
February 25, 2004 08:25AM
February 25, 2004 08:27AM
what if john sign's to EPIC ???
February 25, 2004 08:40AM
haha. that's funny.
or not.

no one is going to agree on one favorite song.
for me, i can never pick favorites.
each song has a special meaning for me.
each one is my favorite for different reasons, whether it be the lyrical meaning, love at first listen, the melody, or something that happened while i was listening. it's just impossible to pick a favorite.

holly

----------------------------------------------
&&the time i'll waste, just to say goodbye&&
February 25, 2004 08:42AM
then he can cross out the was on his 'i was signed to epic and all i got was this lousy t-shirt !- shirt and write in am

*~katie~*
February 25, 2004 08:55AM
February 25, 2004 10:03AM
Wow, that is soooo cool. i love the line "How messed up is the music industry when its execs don't even know a great pop song when it hits them over the head?" He He He. John is getting publicity!!! how exciting is that!!!!

alysha

the shortest six mles of my life
end faster than i would have liked
February 25, 2004 11:49AM
SO exciting

i love it !

*~katie~*
February 25, 2004 12:32PM
glenn gamboa
is
the worst
"journalist"
ever
ever
ever

just so you all know
February 25, 2004 12:36PM
i am painfully aware, however, i make an exception in this case

*~katie~*
February 25, 2004 08:23PM
i remember you talking about him. in this case, he is NOT even though sweeter than... would not have been my pick.. ULS would have been...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π