Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

got into my first-choice school today!

Posted by adistantlight 

got into my first-choice school today!
March 24, 2004 02:22PM
can't go 'cause of money.

sux.
Re: got into my first-choice school today!
March 24, 2004 02:28PM
: (

i feel your pain

*~katie~*
March 24, 2004 03:09PM
What about student loans?

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
March 24, 2004 03:10PM
Had the exact same thing happen to me.

It sucks like nothing else.

March 24, 2004 04:46PM
What school was it?

March 24, 2004 06:40PM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
March 25, 2004 12:22AM
congrats on the acceptance to Nassau Community Steph....

You earned it...
March 25, 2004 01:46AM
now is not the appropriate time for NCC jokes scott, its been 2 years since it happened to me and im still bitter

*~katie~*
March 25, 2004 02:05AM
'What about student loans?'

^ I second that. I wouldn't be where I am now without one of these.

You must be feeling a tad melancholic right about now.....

March 25, 2004 03:15AM
student loans is the way to go. there'd be no way i would even be in college if it was for them.
March 25, 2004 04:21AM
not even student loans will save your ass all the time.

trust me, i know. i sold my drumset just to finish a year at my first choice school.

and now i go to community college. don't knock cc's. they aren't so bad.

March 25, 2004 06:29AM
first of all scott, AGAIN, community college is an excellent choice for some. i find it kind of rude that you keep making those jokes.

and the school was northeastern. even with student loans, it's 40,000/year, and that's completely unreasonable to ask a single mom to help out with. i just had to reply, just in case, because i fell in love with it when i visited.

i'll prob end up at rutgers or hunter.
March 25, 2004 06:39AM
Steph, AGAIN, I have to say that which college you go to (unless its ivy
league) doesnt really matter in the whole scheme of life..I know a bunch of people who went to a community college

The thing about college in general, is that the quality of the teachers and teaching is irrelevant. Its the perception of the college which matters most.

I went to Adelphi. 90% of the professors I had werent that impressive. They could hire lemmings as teachers and that doesnt matter. The weight that the name carries is the key to an impressive resume.

thats all
March 25, 2004 07:38AM
did u try for financial aid yet? they really dont do that much but its a help

~SOFiA~

"you wont hear me, still you endear me, now..woo woo"
March 25, 2004 07:46AM
I've got a friend at Hunter and he loves it.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
March 25, 2004 07:52AM
FAFSA = the suck.

and i'd be really happy at hunter except that they don't have my major. so i might go there for 2 years, because it's really inexpensive, and transfer to another school afterwards.
March 25, 2004 07:54AM
Sorry Steph. must be tough but keep your hopes up. I understand that the North Carolina and more south the schools are cheaper. I am not really sure if you want to be close to home but you may want to check those southern schools out. I hear they run anywhere from $15,000-30,000 a year so it's worth the look. This is one of the main reasons why I am looking to relocate to NC......Schools seem to be better down there.
Scott is not very far off to what he is saying because whether or not you go to St. Johns or Queensborough College you still end up with the same outcome...It's really how much effort you put in to it and apply yourself.
I hope you can get the school you want but don't be sad if you end up in a Community College to start because you can do just as well. Having a single Mom must place alot of pressure on the both of you, so your attitude is great that your not placing your Mother in a bad situation by complaining. I am sure she works hard for everything that you have and sometimes you need to take what you can get and be happy.
March 25, 2004 08:38AM
If i may ask, what is your major that you're looking to do? Bummer you couldn't get your first choice (congrats on being accepted though). I'm looking at a school in Maine called Maine Maritime Academy (a state college, not private). I'm lookin to major in marine biology, and they have one of the best programs around for the price of tuition, and they are world renowed for their career placement after graduation. Tuition this year was something like 11,000. i'm definately keeping it open as an option. basically, the price doesn't make it a good school, so look around some more.

Rock on...
Kevin

I wanna be with you forever, and tomorrows not too late...

"Beware the fury of a patient man" ~John Dryden
March 25, 2004 10:11AM
This is why I am transferring back to Cali, great schools for cheap smiling smiley and I'll be near my family and friends and other significant people. Although I wouldn't say moving halfway around the world is overrated. However, I should have stuck with going to UCLA since I'm ending up there anyway.
March 25, 2004 10:25AM
Steph, I have one huge piece of advice for you in regards to choosing your school (especially if you have your heart set on Northeastern):

Apply for *every* single scholarship you can find, through the school and through various organizations (look online). No matter how little the amount, no matter how silly the requirements (there's actually a scholarship for left-handed people), apply for it. Any little bit can help. That, plus student loans, could bring down what you and your mom would have to pay out of pocket a great deal.

And while Scott's correct in that sometimes the name of the college carries alot of weight, think of it like how my mom always used to say - you can go to any rinky dink school for 3 years, and transfer to a highly prestigious school for your fourth, and the latter will be the one on your diploma.

Good luck!

~lori~
March 25, 2004 10:42AM
steph if you go to school in the south id move in with you and love you forever...
March 25, 2004 11:56AM
yeah, scholarships, great...

it's the end of march of my senior year.
i have until may 1st to make a final decision.
i cant *hope* that a scholarship over the summer will come through.

sorry, i'm just getting a little tired of that suggestion from everyone.
March 25, 2004 12:10PM
Planning on grad school?

Pull a good GPA in whatever school you go to and you'll get into a good grad school, which is more important than college.

College is just a stepping stone today; grad school is where it's at.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
March 25, 2004 01:18PM
Just trust me, I know how you feel. All through high school we kept being told that all we had to do was look for scholarships and apply for every form of financial aid that we could find, and we'd be okay. Bullshit.

Our family of five with only one working parent (and my dad's in electrician, so we are far from wealthy) did not qualify for ANY federal aid whatsoever. I thought maybe the school would provide me with scholarships... Tuition alone was 19,000... total costs were estimated at about 30,000... I was getting no other outside aid...

They were willing to offer me 500 dollars a semester.

Student loans are nice, but the eventually have to be paid back. In the end, I opted going to my second choice school over being in debt for the next 10 years of my life...

March 25, 2004 06:10PM
That's the same reason I didn't take out any loans myself, but if I go to grad school I'll probably wind up taking some out anyway.

The way I figure it is that once I'm out of grad school, I ought to have a job that pays enough money to be able to pay them off by then.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
March 26, 2004 01:03AM
yepp thats exactly what i did, those damn 40 grand a year schools dont give a penny away, they offered me 500 a year and work study, ummm yeah, no....so i went to the school that gave me the biggest scholarship and now my family doesnt have to live on catfood...cause it really doesnt matter where you go to undergrad at all...like mike said grad school is where its at....and there's always transfering, i know a kid who went to ncc and then for his senior year transfered to frigin colombia (>;o( to their financial aid people)

*~katie~*
Amy
March 26, 2004 12:10PM
I knew you'd get in!!

Sorry you can't go though....

sad smiley

Ames
March 26, 2004 12:43PM
AMY!!!!
im probably going to rutgers (new brunswick)
i wanted to tell you
ask you if you still live in jersey
email me grinning smiley
March 26, 2004 02:33PM
the thing with loans is that they dont just give them away willy nilly. sure, i have friends who get change checks for like $1,500 a semester. thats, with everything school related paid with the grants from the government, there is still that much left over so the student just gets a check. free money. they use them for important school related things like credit card bills, car payments, not having to work. and then hard working people like me cant even qualify for enough LOANS to pay for a lousy semester.

oh who am i kidding? 'hard working' is the last thing i could be described as.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π