ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

dishwalla

Posted by aweekplustwo 

dishwalla
April 28, 2004 08:58AM
are there any other dishwalla fans on here?
jr has to be one of the best singers around - maybe they have an older fanbase or are just not well enough known
anyone even heard of them?
Re: dishwalla
April 28, 2004 09:14AM
heard of 'em, haven't really sat down and listened to their stuff......i dunno.....they're ok in my opinion.

Rock on...
Kevin

I wanna be with you forever, and tomorrows not too late...

"Beware the fury of a patient man" ~John Dryden
April 28, 2004 11:15AM
They are about as good as they come. They are truly amazing at creating albums. Their last, 'Opaline' was a masterpiece.

- Amir
Webmaster of http://www.amirsmusicworld.com
April 28, 2004 05:19PM
oh well! at least two of us appreciate their brilliance .the rest of you guys should really check them out!
April 28, 2004 06:33PM
Dishwalla are one of my Favs. Opaline is a amazing album
Been a fan since i went to america in 96 and heard. 'Charlie Brown's Parents'

Looking forward to some new dishwalla stuff this year.?

Any news on the new tunes from Mr Hampton?

Duncan
April 28, 2004 09:08PM
nahah i found opaline too produced and over the top - pet your friends is my fave - and you think you know what this life is about has some good songs but pyf is still the winner
April 29, 2004 05:54AM
Mr. Hampton?
is that his last name?

i wonder if we're related.

April 29, 2004 06:07AM
dishwalla opened for nine days when i saw them in kenosha, wi a while back. they were pretty good.
April 29, 2004 06:22AM
NEWS FROM NINEDAYS!!!

John Hampton changes his name to John Hampson!

Associated Press picked up this story and it should be on the cover of every paper in the country tomorrow!
April 29, 2004 09:15AM
wow thanks for sharing that news with us before the rest of the world scott!

*~katie~*
April 29, 2004 09:45AM
dont worry duncan!theyll stop slagging you off soon!
new dishwalla cd out at end of year.i assume you know about last years live album and the "opaline"dvd audio with hidden video footage
April 29, 2004 08:36PM
I like Dishwalla too - the song "Counting Blue cars" is a classic one i think.

Will there be any new stuff of them in next time ?
April 30, 2004 01:03AM
My mistake.
I love John Hampson just as much as you piss taking lot. ;-)

Anybody know when we are getting john's new tunes?

Duncan
April 30, 2004 02:53AM
so unfair and differernt dreams are supposedly recorded and comming soon

*~katie~*
May 21, 2004 03:28PM
I'm not sure how someone could view "Opaline" as "overproduced"

In fact, as a dishwalla fan since 1995, when I first heard it I didn't like it because I thought it was under-produced, it sounded like a batch of demos (which it essentially is, but still...)

The band personally chose Gregg Wattenberg to produce it because he has a long history for taking songs and breaking them down to their best element (keyboard, vocals, guitar, etc....) and focusing the arrangement on that

you end up getting a less cluttered mix and getting more sophisticated arrangements.

I read an article where JR sad they started each track with one acoustic guitar and then moved on from there, building the arrangement around the acoustic. and then did the take as a band once the arrangement had been made.

On both "Pet Your Friends" and "And You Think You Know What Life's About" the band used tons and tons of effects, both in basic recording and later in the mixing process (moreso on AYTYKWLA than on PYF), also, on both albums the electric guitars were stacked to give it a huge rock sound, this can reqire many overdubs, a far more "produced" sound.

On "Opaline", the guys used one or two acoustics per song, an electric, keyboard, drums, and vocals. they're very tasteful mixes and it's a very sophisticated

when you listen to it it's almost got a hollow sound to it, like they could have added alot more to it, but they left it and let it breathe.

so don't go slighting them fo overproducing something they worked hard to underproduce. if you go see the band live, they sound exactly like the CD. 5 guys in a room making music, with little else.

that's how "Opaline" is. it's not heavily overdubbed, it's not auto-tuned, it's 5 guys in a room, captured on disc. the way all music should strive to be.

They managed to create a beautifully haunting record in the mix (thanks to the genus of Brian Scheuble) out of a bare-bones recording aproach.

And after hearing some of the new songs live that they're working on for the follow-up to "Opaline", and in knowing that Gregg and Brian are producing and Mixing, I'm expecting another brilliantly crafted, easy on the ears masterpiece in 2005.
OOM
May 21, 2004 04:08PM
pete maloney (dishwalla)played on the new catch me if you can and alive today(cant complain)on the new brian desveaux cd-bd
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π