ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

You guys wanna "Boo" a thread?

Posted by Bones45 

Re: You guys wanna "Boo" a thread?
May 20, 2004 05:20AM
Genres are so diluted these days that bands are often labelled as many different things, whether or not they are.

I would personally put latter day Feeder and most of Weezer into 'Indie'.

But to be honest I don't really care what it is, so long as it sounds good.

I'm even kinda liking the latest 'Streets' single, which I am actually quite surprised with myself for. Because most of their other stuff irritates me immensely. But...meh...... good music is good music...... and it depends what you can relate to, and/or are inspired by.

May 20, 2004 05:29AM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
May 20, 2004 07:07AM
Genesis you should check out The Blue Album, its Weezer's best album. Maladroit is class too. argh all cds are brilliant!!!

and Genesis, the best hiphop album of all time... must be something by the Beastie Boys!

May 20, 2004 07:09AM
May 20, 2004 07:12AM
it has the best song EVER: Only In Dreams, its 8 minutes long and sooo beautiful, its finished after 5 minutes or i dunno, but from there on its all instrumental and really sweet. so beautiful.. it made me cry sad smiley

May 20, 2004 07:21AM
May 20, 2004 07:53AM
Ok, more than the singles, but you haven't heard Maladroit and Blue, weezer's most rocky efforts though. Comfort in Sound by Feeder is pretty mellow, you should really check out their old stuff, it really sounds like Godzilla for example but much more melodic. And then again, it's more a matter of definition... I've never heard anyone say 3dd is alt-pop or something.

"by most people's definitions today"

Ok, if you say it...

Check www.allmusic.com

Post this image everywhere you can, in avatars, signatures, just everywhere
May 20, 2004 08:00AM
May 20, 2004 08:09AM
WTF, I mention allmusic.com and the first thing you do is saying I don't read many rock reviews...

Besides that I KNOW I don't have a wide taste in music, I've never said that!

3 Doors Down DOESN'T fall under the alt-pop category. I've never said hard rock.

May 20, 2004 08:25AM
May 20, 2004 08:33AM
Meelman how the shmizzles did you get those emoticons?

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
May 20, 2004 08:34AM
May 20, 2004 09:37AM
Once again we have a "pop" debate. Pop simply means alot of people are listening to it right? Popular? Well yes up until about 1997. Then the term started getting thrown around all over the place and all of a sudden Busted and 3 Doors Down start getting branded under the same "pop" genre.

You have the traditional American pop-rock genre - Lifehouse, The Calling, Nine days, Vertical horizon, Collapsis, Athenaeum, Matchbox 20, Counting Crows, Semisonic, Sense field, Sister Hazel, Tabitha's secret, Stroke 9, Third Eye Blind, Train, Hootie and the Blowfish, Goo Goo Dolls, Evan & Jaron, Our Lady Peace, The Wallflowers, Dishwalla, Tonic, July For Kings, Dexter Freebish, Eve6, Powderfinger

Then you have a more kind of post-grunge pop-rock sound - Creed, 3 Doors Down, Default, Greenwheel, Course Of Nature (loads more, these are just the ones whose Cds I own...) They can have some pretty heavy songs but also songs which would overlap with some of the "pop rock" Take Tonic's "Liar" with 3 Doors Down's "Here Without You".

But what of bands like Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jane's Addiction... these are real "alternative" bands right? Well RHCP have released two amazing albums back to back in Californication and By The Way with some pretty mainstream songs (Californication, Scar Tissue, Zephyr Song, Universally Speaking). Conclusion - they seem to be somewhere in the middle and a bit to the side.

It's all mainstream, bought by the bucketload. It's "real music", guitars singers drums and all, but that doesnt stop them writing melodic songs that people like listening to. For the most part I think most of us here would agree that most of the above bands are good music but could be described as "alternative (not sugarry kiddy music) pop (mainstream music bought by lots of people) rock (guitars)"

Then we look to the UK, again just go with bands whose CDs I own. You had "britpop" which was actually rock, and some "indie" bands which became britpop and some bands which were around before and after but are comparable and then some bands who came to the front post-britpop but have the same idea.

Feeder, Ocean Colour Scene, U2, Idlewild, Oasis, Blur, Snow patrol, The Delays, Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics, Shed Seven, Supergrass Embrace, The Seahorses, Lightning Seeds, Travis, Turin Brakes, Haven, Straw, The Shining, Electric Soft Parade, Cast, Ash, The Verve, Longview

But even here nothing fits. Radiohead? Definitely alternative, definitely rock, but "High And Dry" was perfect guitar-pop-rock-britpop-whatever. Placebo are another interesting one. See also Muse.

Conclusion - it could ALL be described as pop, rock, alternative, or any combination thereof. Most people today would class it as mainstream rock music I guess. As for "indie"... yeh that fits some but not others, not a term I ever really understood.

Weezer? Pop-punk-alt-rock maybe? Punk and emo are interesting, Punk started out as anti-corporation etc yet from Green Day to Blink or (newer) Rancid to Good Charlotte you have a mainstream sound selling millions. Emo (Hundred Reasons to Jimmy Eat World to Alkaline Trio) is getting some radio play, producing albums with real melody and catchy songs, yet fewer people call it pop. All the "new-rock" and "The ________s" bands are also difficult to classify, partly cause many of them set out to cross genres. Garage rock? Blues rock? Garage-blues even?

CONCLUSION: Genres suck cause there are always bands that change (AFI anyone?) or bands that just sit annoyingly in some unclassifiable genre but still rock (Placebo). Things get more and more complicated when bands start getting classified according to what era or movement theyre in. I won't even attempt to bring in "classic rock" like Led Zeppelin or to consider everything non guitar based (mainly cause this post is way too long, I dont know enough about the genres and only end up liking, say, a few RnB, Rap, Hiphop, Jazz or Blues songs)

Sorry for the long post, but I've had so many of these discussions now I feel more able than most to comment. Just listen to what you like listening to but always give new artists a try. Ok? Good.
Re: You guys wanna
May 20, 2004 02:13PM
i kissed bret michaels once. or, rather, HE kissed ME. a big wet one.

sometimes i like to brag, sometimes i want to throw up. i mean, imagine where those lips had been that night, let alone the last 15 years. but still, its poison. so...

Post Edited (05-20-04 23:17)
May 20, 2004 07:51PM
Ok Chris, that's clear.

The only thing I'm afraid you've started a new discussion => the discussion about emo... over the internet I think that's the most doubtable genre... Is JEW emo? Is Weezer emo? The last one definately not, but the first one? I think there'll always be discussion about genres, it'll never stop.

May 21, 2004 03:16AM
bands like Funeral For A Friend and Finch are emo, not Jimmy Eat World. theyre punkpop/rock

May 21, 2004 04:17AM
That's just what I thought... if you compare JEW to the bands you mentioned and to bands like Saves The Day (boooooo) and Bright Eyes (boooooo), JEW is not emo.

May 21, 2004 07:49AM
Saves The Day? booo?!?!?!?!?!!?
get out.

May 21, 2004 07:05PM
sorry but this thread is to boooooo hehe, a band that makes me sick gets the boot.

May 22, 2004 03:27AM
*dies of laughter*

meelman, wow, ok. thank you. hahahaha. you are fucking hilarious.

kids i'll boo:

britney spears
d12
eminem
chingey
50 cent
anal baby

May 22, 2004 03:35AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π