Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

FILM TO SEE

Posted by RabbitProofFence 

FILM TO SEE
April 03, 2003 09:27AM
There is a good film in theatres now
that I really recommend!!

If you can ,see " Rabbit Proof Fence" soon cause Im not sure if its going to be around that much longer bc it opened December,maybe....?

Has anyone else seen it?

Re: FILM TO SEE
April 03, 2003 10:44AM
that is an aussie film

didn't they change the name over there to "the long way home" or something like that as i am know it wasn't releasd in the states under the orginal name here

this is a movie to make you hate australians

don't blame me though it wasn't my idea
April 03, 2003 11:03AM
Hmmm... I dont think I've heard of it... What's it about?

Speaking of Australian movies... I'm so excited! here at my college we have movies that play on one of our channels and for some random reason, next week Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert is on! I love that movie! I so need to find a blank tape and tape it! YAY!

Colleen.

April 03, 2003 01:23PM
I liked Gladiator.. the dude in that is an "aussie"

And I already hated Australiians.. but a little more animosity never hurt anyone.. right?

cries@

I absolutely love her when she smiles
April 03, 2003 03:55PM
The Guy In Gladiator is a Kiwi, thankyouverymuchforreadingthis

http://groups.msn.com/Andreasoverseaspics/mestup.msnw
April 03, 2003 04:06PM
pleasure

April 03, 2003 10:12PM
ha a right fully so bitter kiwi on th board

you can have russel that guy is a dumb $#$%

who is getting married tomorrow in nana glen in the middle of nowhere

back onto the topic of this film (and why do you hate aussies??) it is about how aboriginal children were taken from their parents and the story of a family of children who escape and try to get back home. The reason for the title is that they follow the rabbit fence that divided australia in order to keep the rabbits out of an area - or the dingos on one side or something anyway
April 04, 2003 02:38AM
Those little things ate my baby grinning smiley

April 04, 2003 09:09AM
Yes,the title of the film is still "Rabbit Proof Fence ", here.
I hadnt mentioned it was an Australian film as some American mainstream-film goers sometimes get put off by other films but its
a perfectly and easily understandable film. And I know people on this board are cool and like good stuff regardless.
Really,though,its so touching that theres no boundaries of place/ time/anything...

Had you seen it Clare?

Anyone who sees it,let me know.

April 04, 2003 10:24AM
To the movie house!!!!!.. runs@

April 04, 2003 05:00PM
ha i knew a dingo baby reference was goign to surface

no i am yet to see it

i think it is a film that every australian shoudl see and i will get around to it one day - when it came out it was at the period of time where i was working full time going to school fulltime too and getting ready to head overseas for 3 months. I had no spare time and it left theatres without me seeing it. it is uni holidays in 5 weeks thank god and i plan on hiring it out then

and i hope you people don't turn down seeing a movie cause it is an aussie film - there are some damn fine aussie films - many you prob won't have access to but "the castle" is awesome. but i am not sure how much of it will be lost on unaustrailans.

I went to the movies for th efirst tiem since boxing day (day after christmas) the other day and i saw the worst film trailer. it made me cringe "kangaroo jack" now i blame american film makers for it (i think - prove me wrong) but omg no wonder americans think we are all outback, croc wrestling, koala hugging maniacs movies like this are to blame and they must be outlawed

::Gets off soap box::

now i have to write a speach on personality traits and how they shoudl be used in order to place the right employee with the right employer. geeez
April 05, 2003 03:04AM
get to it soldier..

and I think people that are not from Australia are just people that are not from Australia..

Oh and Kangaroo Jack ruled! tongue sticking out smiley

April 05, 2003 10:16AM
no

you payed money to see that film?

and you liked it?

oh no what is the world coming to?

tongue sticking out smiley
April 05, 2003 10:24AM
That movie... URGH. (Kangaroo Jack) I'm sorry but it is horrible. I am so glad I didn't go see it. But seeing the millions of trailers for it was enough. Just a disturbing movie....

But you know what a good movie is that part takes place in Australia?!?! Mary Kate and Ashley's "Our Lips Are Sealed"! SUCH A GREAT MOVIE! Okay I know I am totally gonna get laughed at but come on... it's a classic! Actually I like it b/c they go to Sydney and I am always like... "ooooh! I've been there!" whenever I watch it.

Colleen.

April 05, 2003 11:12AM
Oh.. the many viewings of the Kangaroo Jack trailer... imagine working at a theatre and that being one of the 5 movies on the dvd that we HAVE to play all day long - it gets a little tiring. I'm just very happy that that is no longer on there.

-Ashley

"A dreamer's eyes are always open wide"
April 05, 2003 04:48PM
hahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahha

hahahahahahahahahahahha

oh dear that "our lips are sealed" thing just really made me laugh

sadly i have not seen that film - but i can understand on one leve. that avril lavign clip "sk8r boi" or whatever the hell. i loooooooove that video and always watch it (with the mute button on though) cause it is filmed in Toronto and i was at that place where they filmed it so it is kinda cool.

but onto mary kate and ashely i had a job interview a while back at the bridge climb place - that is where you take peopl over the arch of the harbour bridge, and on the walls they have pictures of all the "famous" people who have done it and one of the pics was of them and you just reminded me of that

man i wil discuss anything to get me away from economics study
April 05, 2003 04:57PM
it's ironic how you still provide ratings for her video but you have it on mute@

mutes Britney video@

Yeahhh... those Olson twin videos suck.. I mean how much more commercial can you get?

April 05, 2003 08:01PM
Clare, did you get the bridge climb job? Didn't do it, and i wasn't sure if it was worth it. I mean, not be able to take cameras up there? Whats that about?!?!
April 05, 2003 10:17PM
no i was still studying when i went for that job and even though i had all the qualifications of tour guiding, first aid and whatever else i wasn't avaliable the 7 days that they wanted for a casual position.
They were a bit nuts about that - they want young people so they can pay them crap but neglect to realise that young people are often studying, and they didn't seem to work with this idea.

I have not done the bridge climb myself it is 110 dollars or something and everyone who has done it and also done the pylon climb (the towers on each side) said the view are pretty much the same.

I think that whole camera thing is to do with random tourists dropping cameras down onto one of the busiest sydney roads and causing havoc.

Did you do all the other sydney touristy fun? The rocks is my fave place smiling smiley

It is really funny right now actually australia is on this whole terroriims alert thing (not that that is funny) but they have guards that partrol our icons, so there are these 2 guys in BRIGHT yellow vests that walk back and forth on the bridge keeping an eye out for anything suspicious. Now if we were to come under attack and they flew a plane into the bridge - what are two guards in vest going to do? I can't see the logic behind it. They have also taken all the garbage bins out of the city - there is no where to put your rubbish anymore, they have all these annoucments "please take your rubbish with you" but we would all start to smell as we would be carrying around rubbish all day long.
April 06, 2003 04:47AM
Hi Clair--
No,this film did not make me hate Australians!
Thats not the deal.
No one should read it that way, for reasons which make it not just accessible,
but so moving and relevant:
This is a story --familiar and relevant STILL--about human nature and the corrosive effects of domination ,greed , and ultimately,soldiers/officials
just carrying out "government policy".

To anyone has asked whats the film about:
I could say this film is about the taking of land and resources- not the least of which was human lives! sent to be trained as "domestics",day laborers and worse!.
I could say its a neat little narrative on the devastating effects of ,specifically European colonialism...what its done to our world,the far reaching consequences of which we are feeling today.
But I wont . " cause also,that makes it sound heavy and boring.
But it isnt at all!!!

What I want to say is most gratifying about this story is that its a wonderful testimony to human dignified strength!

PARTICULARLY the STRENGTH and HUMANITY OF THE FEMALE SOUL!

I want to tell any and all of the strong,smart women on this board---ALL the people who make this board ,to a large extent,make the fan base of this band---
that this is a depiction of what you know in your heart
and live in your life
and what is ALL TOO OFTEN systematically stamped out of American "film"
...and TV,and print ads,and magazines,and mainstream "music"..etc...etc...ad nauseum..

That the human soul is impervious to complete annhilation and that historically,its the female soul that has been and is embattled most
but that its the female soul that has always triumphed and preserved the dignity of the human race.
This has always been true especially in the face of aggression and war.
Its true right now in Afghanistan ( and in Iraq)and its true IN OUR COUNTRY .
See it with yr Mom! Or your Grandma ,Steph ( you are NOT a communist) 'cause the story revolves around the strongest of all forces of nature: Mother and child.
And the deepest bond thereof: Mother and DAUGHTER.

Its a beautiful depiction of a really strong,reallly smart little girl who just faced down the most insurrmountable odds and kicked ass all over the place for 2 generations!!!!

And Yes! there are NO implants in this film!!!

Also,the young actresses are damn cute! In particular,the littlest elf child is so adorable..... they are nearly completely unaffected in their portrayals.
They are real,tender. Vrey different from our current American child stars ,ahem...

I hope you guys can see it and feel enriched.

Lastly,Clair: did you see " Lantanna" ? That was a decent little Aussie film.Whats going on over there!? hmmmmmm
April 06, 2003 06:07AM
my theory: rabbitprooffence likes movies.

April 06, 2003 05:37PM
StickMen is a Good Kiwi Movie :p Thankyouverymuchforreadingthisilovecolleen

http://groups.msn.com/Andreasoverseaspics/mestup.msnw
April 06, 2003 05:52PM
Those tourists spoil it for everyone (hang on am i not a tourist? No!!! Traveller...is there a difference? help!)

I went up the pylon and the views were amazing, so at least i know i didn't miss out on anything!

Did all the Sydney touristy things. Aquarium, Opera House, blue mountains etc etc. Even got to see some of the matrix being filmed!! I love the rocks!! Such a cool place. I went to a bar with a balcony on the second floor and got to sit out there and watch the world go by. I want to go baccck!
April 06, 2003 09:52PM
AHHH matrix filming - i saw alot of the helicopter scenes from the new movie being done

okay lets see a tourist runs around with a camera and only sees things through a lens i think - a travler actually learns about where they are and is more of a viewer than a photographer, does that work?

so that makes you a traveler then smiling smiley

the pubs in the rocks aremy second home smiling smiley

you should come back we are a nice bunch of people and your money is worth something down here

man i have an economics exam to pass

grrrrrrrr
April 07, 2003 02:26AM
Clare! I spelled your name wrong! Sorry about that!
April 07, 2003 06:09AM
I think she's gonna hate you forever now..

go Matrix, go.

April 07, 2003 08:12AM
ha i will hate you forever smiling smiley

i forgot to answer your lantana question

again i have not seen this yet either - i have been dying to - all the time i spend on here i could divide upinto little time spots to watch some of the movie

have you seen looking for alibrandi? that was a great film i enjoyed it very much
April 07, 2003 08:44AM
Actually I did see lantana.. I mean I thought it was ok but not super great.. definately better then other big name movies though.. I just think it got a lot of sleeper hype. It lives up to a lot of it though.

April 07, 2003 08:46AM
Thanks for calling me a traveler. Gives me a nice warm glow!! (i hate being called a tourist!)

I am so jealous - i would love for the rocks to be my second home!

And yes, Clare, you're right, you are a nice bunch of people. I have family in sydney!! and i'll be back in December just in time to spend christmas on the beach and the new years at the harbour. can't wait...
April 07, 2003 09:50AM
ha oh i am jealous that you get to come back here

i am dying to go back overseas but i have noo money and being a student who is about to flunk out i will never have money again

why is my course so friggen hard - why on earth am i studying economics????? insert many swear words in here
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π