ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I Hate Spyware and Adware!

Posted by fanoftheband 

I Hate Spyware and Adware!
February 17, 2005 04:46AM
I have a few comps in my house, personally i use my laptop most of the time, for work, emails etc, but I also have a desktop with awesome specs for gaming etc.

The desktop is however shared with my siblings, who know bugger all about computers; therefore over time (about 3 weeks!) the computer becomes so infected with spyware it becomes unuseable. I'm sure it will only be a few seconds before I am redirected to some other advertising website. Now i can't check my emails, play games online or do anything. The only solution is a complete reinstallation of windows, which takes a few hours of my time! (and yes I have at least 4 adware sweapers and the latest norton av)

Just though that I would share my absolute hate of this internet plague with you.

Si

'Dignity consists not in possessing honors, but in the consciousness that we deserve them' - Aristotle
Re: I Hate Spyware and Adware!
February 17, 2005 04:52AM
Are you using IE? If so, immediately discontinue use and use Firefox instead.

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
February 17, 2005 04:53AM
Assign yourself administrative rights. Create restrictive accounts. Filter web content that is available to view, and whether or not they can download files.

Most spyware and adware originates from less scrupulous web domains.

It's how they're funded.

February 17, 2005 05:30AM
i just saw in the newspaper that Bill Gates is goin to make anti-spywear stuff free

just thought id share

*Ian*

Do something every day that scares you.
February 17, 2005 05:42AM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
February 17, 2005 07:02AM
Get smarter siblings.
February 17, 2005 07:15AM
Hmmm... is Firefox free? I have aol, and sometimes my sister will use our account from her house so I can't get on it... so I got the school's free dial up internet and IE won't work on it. Maybe firefox would.

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies it's compromise that moves us along"
February 17, 2005 07:17AM
Firefox is, indeed, free.

http://www.mozilla.com

Once you try it, you'll never go back.

-Mike

Post Edited (02-17-05 16:17)

weallgotwoodandnails
February 17, 2005 07:34AM
February 17, 2005 07:48AM
I have already tried all these things. I have possibly every adware program available(including the new Microsoft one, recommended), I am an administrator, there are restrictions etc etc.

Although I don't have Firefox, I saw it on a friends comp and it didn't look particularly impressive, but i'll give it a shot.

Si

'Dignity consists not in possessing honors, but in the consciousness that we deserve them' - Aristotle
February 17, 2005 07:55AM
You say now it doesn't look impressive, by Firefox does away with popups, has a superior download managers, allows for TABBED browsing, and since making the switch from IE to Firefox, I've not had a single problem with spyware or adware.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
February 17, 2005 07:57AM
Its just when I saw it loaded on my friends comp it looked overly simple, but if it does all that stuff then i'll try it, thanks

Si

February 17, 2005 07:58AM
February 17, 2005 07:58AM
It has a cool search engine tool on the menu. Me likey.

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
February 17, 2005 09:43AM
IE isn't pretty. And I can't say as I've had one single problem with it. IE7 is on its way... mainly because of Firefox's increasing popularity.

But then the security on my computer is akin to that used at Fort Knox so its not surprising I haven't seen a virus, popup or spyware file in 6 monthes +.

February 17, 2005 02:40PM
Yes, use Firefox. It rocks. Didn't think I'd like it at first, but once I tried it, I couldn't go back to that evil IE.
February 17, 2005 04:01PM
I love Firefox.
February 17, 2005 10:29PM
I did it, i installed firefox, this is my first post with it, and it seems good so far. No crashes!

Si

February 20, 2005 03:30AM
get service pack 2, thats even more important

-Brian
February 20, 2005 03:52AM
February 20, 2005 04:52AM
I was actually going to post something along those lines myself G-Man. You have pipped me to the post, as it were.

Only install SP2 from a clean format. Like I did. That way it can't tamper with anything. Which it does. Fervently.

Just today my friend installed it and it destroyed his graphics drivers and wiped out the T1 wireless internet.

Fun.

I'm pretty sure if you search the Symantec viral database you'd find SP2 listed as a trojan horse.

yawning smileyP

February 20, 2005 06:19AM
Aggreed service pack two is a nightmare

Si

February 22, 2005 04:21PM
before you install it, there is a list of software and hardware that encounters problems. obviously some ignored that? eh, anyways, those who have it and have explored what it does understand that it is a huge improvement. i'm not saying its perfect, but its a lot better.

those of you that like firefox, try opera. do me a favor, dont knock it until you actually do try it. its a little bit quicker (not very noticable) and is more customizable than anything else i've used. I always said i wouldnt switch to it, and now its all i'll use...

-Brian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π