i need moneys.
so i applied to border's and best buy.
do you work retail and like it?
tell me where you work.

kthx,
steph
Re: GOOD RETAIL JOBS
April 06, 2005 02:26AM
I work retail and would rather not, but it's easy and pays decent with flexible hours.

Borders would be tops. Best Buy not so much unless you can get me deals on plasma TVs.

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
April 06, 2005 02:28AM
you didnt answer WHERE you worked mike.
April 06, 2005 02:30AM
retail?

I've have done my time and got out. Local sporting good store back in the day, and Electronics Boutique in the malls.

Seriously Steffer..

It's good experience..good for resume and good for recomendations..etc.

Money is never really that good...but if you can find a decent place and even enjoy it a little...have some laughs too...

then do it.
April 06, 2005 02:31AM
Raindew. Small chain of department stores located in Bayside, Flushing, New Hyde Park and Manhasset.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
April 06, 2005 02:36AM
i've worked before scott haha my entire senior year of high school i worked for a record store, which closed down last month. so i need a new job that will treat me like a slave and work me to the bone.. and give me moneys. i'm not ready for an office environment yet so bring on the retail.
April 06, 2005 02:37AM
OMG!!

THAT WAS YOU IN EMPIRE RECORDS??

I RECOGNIZE THAT ATTITUDE ANYWHERE!!
April 06, 2005 02:45AM
i've had enough of my office. think i'm gunna work at a babylon town beach or bob moses this year, waving people with stickers in while i work on my tan. then when i get off of work i'll already be at the beach. yea, that sounds like a good plan.

*~katie~*
April 06, 2005 04:07AM
Amazing plan, Katie. Free beach stickers for everyone!!
April 06, 2005 04:19AM
Kmart. Don't do retail. Become independently wealthy.

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

Nine Days and John Hampson music featured in my independent feature film "Will and Testament"!

Facebook Page for "Will and Testament"
IMDB Page for "Will and Testament"
April 06, 2005 04:47AM
hahha ok:
someone explain to me why the guy at the movie theatre tells me "oh i wanted to hire a girl, we just hired a boy, couldnt find any girls, well people tend to leave here a lot so, come fill out an application and we might be able to get something for you"
hahah what position at a movie theatre requires gender specification?
and then on top of that, he tells me i live too far away for them to generally hire, when its like 20 min by car, and i go there all the time anyway.

JOBS SUCK.
April 06, 2005 04:49AM
They have to keep it equal and fill a gender quota, otherwise feminazis will picket their theater and throw tampons in the popcorn machine.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
April 06, 2005 05:30AM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
April 06, 2005 06:15AM
Lowes...great pay, awesome benifits, and my store is awesome...its like we dont work but play all day lol
April 06, 2005 06:55AM
I think Border's would be really cool.. we don't have anything like that around here though, so that sucks.

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies it's compromise that moves us along"
April 06, 2005 07:19AM
I've heard nothing but horror stories about Best Buy. I have a good friend who works in Borders, though, and while she hates some of the people she works with, she's said the overall experience has been amazing. I mean, she met her girlfriend there, so she's got to love it right? heh. Anyhoo, Best Buy = no, Borders from what I hear = yay.

I've never done retail though, myself. Always have been an office bitch, always will be an office bitch.

~lori~
April 06, 2005 07:06PM
if you want to work in a bookstore like borders i wouldn't work there... i'd work at barnes & noble... i did for about two years and its a really good company with good benifits etc...

now i work at virgin megastore... not so great a company but... eh i'm getting used to it.

-----------------
love.christina
-----------------

go here please --- http://www.hanson.net/site/hanson/link/1/87042
April 07, 2005 04:03AM
Hey Steph, I work at Borders. It really depends on which Borders you work at, because the team of people you work with really makes or breaks your experience there.

They pay pretty good (I started out at $7.25) and give raise reviews every 6 months. The only crappy part of the job is you only get 6 "occurances" for the first YEAR meaning everytime you call out, you get 1, and every time you are late you get 1/2. So technically you can only be sick 6 times in your first year. If you are late once in a while, it dwindles down. They go by a computerized clock-in system, so they really can't help you if you are ONE minute late. Thats the only downside of the job that I can see. I was sick for 4 straight days with the flu last month, and now I'm hanging on to my job by a thread based on attendance. You get no sick or vacation days until you've been there a year or so.

I have no idea about Best Buy, but personally, I love working with books and music because it keeps you updated on the bestsellers, makes you feel smart when you know all about them, and you get a SWEET discount (33 percent). Its also less messy (unless evil mothers let their children run raging through the kids department). But dont' think its a non-physical job, expect to be carrying and pushing cartloads of books :-D

There are my oppinions on Borders! Best of luck smiling smiley

April 07, 2005 04:20AM
What if you get your appendix taken out and are out of commission for a while?

Fascist bastards.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
April 07, 2005 05:03AM
I work at Best Buy... i love it.. It's a bit super Corporate... but not bad.. The Incentives rock... I get paid more than 10 dollars an hour.... and get enough hours to suite me.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Eric
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
April 07, 2005 05:13AM

A good friend of mine is a district mgr of Best Buy...they work their employees to the bone!!!
April 07, 2005 02:22PM
How 'bout a different industry. I'm in security services working for Northwest Protective Services here in 'ol Seattle, Washington. I've done some retail before, but enjoy being a security gaurd! It's an easy job where the physical activities are usually only walking/patrolling and writing reports. The pay is awesome! My company's starting pay is now $10.25/hr because of our union fighting for us; your pay depends on which site you get. When I started, I began at $11.00/hr in a highrise office building downtown and now working in two sites. The pay is awesome and you don't have to deal much with ringing up people at a checkstand. It's a stroll in the park, almost literally! Anyways, I love this industry!

Here's where I found my job, it's a great place to just browse companies in that field:
http://www.allpages.com/business-services/security-services/guard-patrol-services/

Joe (Looking tough and getting paid for it!)

April 07, 2005 02:25PM
What happens when a maniac tries a stick-up?

I'm getting a second job this summer at a liquor store.

$8 an hour off the books (**** you IRS) plus tips.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
April 07, 2005 08:23PM
If all goes as it should, Ill be up to around 18 a hour plus commission at lowes this summer...and Ive only been there 6 months so far winking smiley not to mention, they offer full and part time benefits, 401k, chevy and ford discounts, stock options, and all kinds of things....not bad for a easy as hell retail job.
April 08, 2005 04:33AM
caitlin-

thanks for the info. i do understand what you mean about teams. ive had friends work at westbury, commack and one in the city, and they all had diff experiences based on the borders they worked at. unforunately, i heard the most horror stories about borders westbury but thats the closest one to me, i cant drive out to commack every day, and so thats the one i applied at. im hoping in the couple of months since my friends have left, that maybe the staff changed a little bit, or maybe i have a higher tolerance then them.

thanks again smiling smiley
April 08, 2005 04:37AM
oh and everyone else, thanks for answering. i love you bitches <3
April 08, 2005 04:39AM
OH AND CAITLIN ONE MORE THING
i have a tiny lip stud. i plan on wearing a retainer to the interview and when on the job (its only slightly visible if you look hard enough) but, borders is understandably not hot topic (ugh), do they have a huge problem with facial piercings? last time i went there some dude had CRAZY tattoos all around his neck and arms, so i figure if they allow that, one tiny dot on my lip wont kill anybody.
April 08, 2005 05:29AM

retainer?

why does that make me laugh?
April 09, 2005 09:42AM
Arghghg I have to go pee so bad!

~*wOOt!*
April 09, 2005 11:02AM

---Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost, What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π