ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

There is no Live Eight thread on this board

Posted by sofi123 

There is no Live Eight thread on this board
July 03, 2005 06:22AM
Aside from one question thread, leading to a disgustingly ill-informed comment, the most vast, most attended and most viewed music event just passed without a single "It's live eight today!!" comment.

So did anybody on here actually watch it? I'm gonna go and expect either a big 'No,' or absolutely no reply to this post, as the majority of posters on here are American (no offence meant at all, it's just the way things are). Speaking only for the London gig, Pink Floyd were a clear spark, along with Robbie Williams (OK, he may have absolutely nothing on them, but you unite 200,000 absolute strangers (and your whole country) like that and you deserve some respect).

I think it may finally be time to remove this slighty dog-eared, no more 'grey band' than white, and get another one. And so to the most important week a whole continent will ever see....

- Sofi, who is broken she can't be on her way to Edinburgh right now, but is there in spirit -

Post Edited (07-03-05 15:22)

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
Re: There is no Live Eight thread on this board
July 03, 2005 10:08AM
I watched it some, I was really annoyed though cause over here they barely showed any music, it was all commentary on Africa that was majorly over repeated.

---Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost, What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind---
July 03, 2005 10:29AM
What is this Live Eight?

~*wOOt!*
July 03, 2005 12:14PM
Haha, that's funny, Woot.

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
July 04, 2005 06:27AM
i wanted to go as philly is only an hour from here. but alas. i had this thing called work all day.
July 04, 2005 10:40AM
i went, i saw, i passed out.
July 04, 2005 03:23PM
i TiVo'd some of the 'highlights' show, other than that i got nothing to say about it

Rock on...
Kevin

I wanna be with you forever, and tomorrows not too late...

"Beware the fury of a patient man" ~John Dryden
July 05, 2005 12:11AM

Most americans have ZERO taste in music.

That is why nothing was mentioned.
July 05, 2005 02:24AM
I listened to some of Pink Floyd on the radio. I've never been a fan of them.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
July 05, 2005 03:26AM
really i love pink floyd. ohh well

*Ian*

Do something every day that scares you.
July 05, 2005 07:26AM
I was impressed that there were so many people at the Philly one, but really upset that the Japan one was only about half way filled. Considering Bjork was one of the main headliners, and she hasn't done a major live show in 2 years.

I am a huge Bjork fan.

Nelson Mandela spoke at one. He was the only one really worth watching speech-wise. I can't believe how many young people I talked to about this had no idea who Nelson Mandela was. How can you not know that!!

Could have done without Madonna dancing and singing Like A Prayer with the Ethiopian woman, LoL.

Maroon 5 was dissapointing.

Hmm... I thought Pink Floyd sounded great, and I'm not a real big fan of them.

:confused smileyhines two pennies and tosses them into the thread::

-Cait
July 05, 2005 11:55AM
how do you not know who Nelson Mandela is? stupid

Rock on...
Kevin

I wanna be with you forever, and tomorrows not too late...

"Beware the fury of a patient man" ~John Dryden
July 06, 2005 01:27AM
Bjork used to date Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'm pretty sure at least. And honestly, I'm not entirely for Live 8. It's a great idea sure, but most of the money that will go to Africa is from the taxes of the mid-class american, and the money will go to fund corrupt governments and will never get through to the people anyway. Bummer.

~*wOOt!*
July 06, 2005 04:13AM
They're not stupid!

Post Edited (07-06-05 13:14)

~ Sofi ~

July 06, 2005 05:24AM
There was a good article in the New York Times today about the problems with the corruption in Africa and steps being taken by at least some leaders on the continent to change things.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/06/international/africa/06lagos.html

You may have to register to read it, though. It's worth registering in any event since I think you get the entire paper on your computer for free. I think I may cancel my at-home delivery now.

And here's another article on the reservations of nations, including the U.S., on giving money to corrupt nations. The bit at the end looks tacked-on to me and doesn't seem to apply to much else of the short article.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/news/news-group-bush-africa.html

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
July 06, 2005 05:49AM
Yes. Because everything the States do is above board and fully just.

Get a grip, man.

I'm not surprised that America isn't keen on pumping their money into helping Africa though. I mean, they have a lot of depleted munitions to restock now don't they... and that doesn't come cheap.

Everyone is hesitant about throwing money at these dubiously run places Mike, the difference is, most other nations are willing to do it carefully, rather than not at all.

Post Edited (07-06-05 14:51)
July 06, 2005 06:26AM
If you enjoy pouring your money down a black hole, go ahead. I'm not going to stop you. Moral superiority feels great, even if it's accomplished nothing in the past 25 years.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
July 06, 2005 06:39AM
Don't become a politician Mike.

Because your 'witty' retort just came across more racist than clever.

Post Edited (07-06-05 15:39)
July 06, 2005 06:45AM
If you're referring to me using "black hole," then no, there was no wit or clever aim to it. Rather, it was a reference to this thing in space that has a gravitational pull so profound that even light can't escape it.

You're the one pointing out race here, not me.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
July 06, 2005 07:01AM
"Accomplished nothing in the past 25 years"

Not one word of that is true. You don't support it, fine, just open your eyes to the fact that there ARE countries that aren't ruled by dictators, they ARE being helped significantly by aid, and that although we can't do EVERYTHING, there is a lot we can do, want to do, and will do. And don't make sweeping statements that bear absolutely no resemblance to the truth.

Sketch - ITV 11pm

~ Sofi ~

July 06, 2005 07:18AM
Nay, indeed, Africa is home to some 40 republics. Few countries on the continent are home to outright dictatorial regimes (how many are in the shadows may be another story).

But I ask you, how much has the continent improved in relation to the money given to it? It's mis-managed, and until it gets managed better by the recipients, I see no need for my country's tax-dollars to be wheeled away towards no gain.

Get people to run things properly and I'll reconsider.

Deal?

-Mike

Post Edited (07-06-05 16:31)

weallgotwoodandnails
July 06, 2005 07:53AM
It's mis-managed, and until it gets managed better by the recipients, I see no need for my country's tax-dollars to be wheeled away towards no gain.

So we come back to the origonal point. What the hell is the point in trying to argue/discuss something with you? Do you ever listen to a word anyone says? No one's saying, "What we're doing is perfect, we just need to give more"; the whole point is trying to get it to the people, reorganise the aid and make what we are currently giving more worthwhile. Yes, we have targets to increase the aid, but that's by 2010, not immeadiately. No-one's stupid enough to increase the aid, and then work out how to manage it; with any hope they'll sort out the whole procedure to make it the most beneficial to the people as possible (taking into account, you're never going to get a 100% public benefit) and then increase.

~ Sofi ~

July 06, 2005 09:46AM
Sofi, if common sense can't convince George Bush that the global climate, Earth and its inhabitants are more important than Americas precious economy; then you're certainly not going to convince this other idiot that human life is more important than money.

July 06, 2005 11:05AM
Oh posh can we pu-leeeez stop fighting! Listen, you're both right. We have a totally different view here in America, and you guys can't totally understand where we're coming from and we can't totally understand where you're coming from because our governments and medias are all different. You try paying taxes that take away up to or over 60% of your income and see how you feel when they start asking to take away 62% of it so you can feed a kid for a day, when in reality not a lot of people really have a large grasp on if that money is really going to feed a kid for a day or stock a militia so another country can go to civil war. Call me skeptical, egotistic, parsimonious, but when I want to give my money away (which I do! I'm going over to Africa next summer myself to go help out!) I will donate it on my OWN behalf and not my governments behalf. Now I have no idea what it's like to live in England, Australia, Tokyo, where ever the rest of you all live, but I just believe that we shouldn't worrying about where to get money from right now. We should be concentrating on government structures, and how to teach people in Africa to produce their own money and economy. We shouldnt be aiding them to live, we should be aiding them to learn to make a living.

~*wOOt!*
July 06, 2005 12:09PM
We shouldnt be aiding them to live, we should be aiding them to learn to make a living.
wOOt

Taylor as much as id love to agree with you we cant aid them to learn to make a living if the're already dead. I mean kids are starving something 99% of americans cant grasp because were OBEEESSSSSEEEEEEEEEE. Its kinda sad that people here are worrying about trying not to eat as much while people in this world are starving. Its great your going to Africa but you may see more then you want. My uncle in the past has gone there on several occassions and its not pretty. Best of luck to ya.

And even if our money is being mismanaged its not like its really gonna hurt you to make some conceious effort to help. Im mean really is it gonna kill you if you cant supersize that fri next time you go to the drive thru? I mean there you go we can solve the obesity problem right there. Cmon people were not talking about you selling everything you own to help these people.

I was talking to my uncle(same one as above) and he was really sickened by this country's(the US) need for material possesion. The average american family has so much "stuff" that it cant be fit on their front lawn while in countries like Africa people dont have enough stuff to cover an eight of their yard. I mean how many times to you really use all the gadjets and gizmos lying around your house honestly. Its not gonna hurt us to help a lil.

OK IM DONE. sorry had to vent a lil

*Ian*

July 06, 2005 12:29PM
shitt i ate well tonight.
July 06, 2005 02:04PM
ohh next thing you know you'll be eating soy products!

*~katie~*
July 06, 2005 02:39PM
umm i already am cuz my parents are veretarean and run a yoga business so there kinda into the whole organic and non-meat thing. Which kills me cuz i love my meat;-)

*Ian*

July 06, 2005 03:02PM
I never said anything about obesity or American lifestyle. But if you want to get on that topic, well, people live here in America so they can go out and MAKE enough money to buy gizmo's and gadgets. And I'll have you know, the family I stayed with in NZ was probably 3x's more wealthy and probably owned at least 2x's as much of stuff. Not like I'm saying it's a right here in the US, because I believe I would be just as happy if not happier with just a few sets of clothes, my good close friends, and a good book every now and then. Out with TV's and merichino cherries! And you're correct, it is horrible to think of whats going on in Africa but what I'm saying is even if we DO give money to the govenment its not going to GO to the people that are starving! Thats one of the LAST places it's going right now! I'm saying we need to invest our capital on finding a way to teach africans the AIDS problem, or to build them farms then teach them how to manage them and become self sufficiant, teach them to bake, cook, grow, trades that are lifelong and life prospering! Gaaah!

~*wOOt!*
July 06, 2005 04:29PM
I'm still not the one who's gone the asshole route. If you'd like me to, I can go the asshole route better than you could ever dream of.

I'm not the only one who's apparently not listening to what's being said by the other side here.

How are you re-organizing things? Let me see that. Because all I'm seeing from G-8 right now and the harping of those stricken by white-guilt is the need to exponentially increase cash sent to a continent that's been behind every other region on earth for all of recorded history (not counting Egypt, which is the Middle-East).

Guess what? Guess what? Guess what?

That's not reforming anything. It's the same exact thing.

And and and and AND, if these countries pull themselves out of destitution and become industrialiazed and modernized, what then? Those are CO2 emissions, man, and those only lead to...

GLOBAL WARMING!

Christ knows from the past couple of weeks that we can't have any of that in any way, shape or form.

-Mike

Post Edited (07-07-05 01:42)

weallgotwoodandnails
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π