ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Labour day

Posted by spaztrin 

Re: Labour day
July 24, 2005 12:22AM
uuuummmmm im now going to upset alot of people. kiwi and australian accents sound the same, as do american and canadian accents. im sorry but its tru or maybe im just deaf.

and yes sofi you are welcome to come to dublin! it was ?30 with ryanair......
July 24, 2005 08:58AM
American and Canadian accents sound the same? I suppose it depends on where you're from. If you got one of those Canadian accents that people make fun of (saying "eh?" and "aboot"), your not really gonna find something like that in most states, although they may sound like that if they from places really close to Canada.

And then there's the famous (or infamous) New York and Boston accents. Then there's also the southern drawl.

So while a generic American and Canadian accent might sound the same, there are parts of our countries that sound very different.

I probably couldn't tell the difference between a New Zealand and Australian accents, I'm sure a kiwi and Aussie would be able to tell the difference.
July 24, 2005 09:16AM
Blame TV. It panders to popular stereotypes.

July 24, 2005 09:45AM
does anyone else think its amusing when they watch neighbours (not that i do...) and see Conor(?) with his hilarious accent that i think first originated just outside belfast and then moved to ballymeena, and find it wrong!?!? And talking about stereotypes, he is of course the guy who cant read or write and gets all the stupid plots...im waiting from him to draw out a gun and reveal hiw UVF connections...woot that was a fun rant.

Just wanted to point it out, but then again my accent is pretty messed up neways, dad from stockport, lived in NI all my life and as a result sound posh...its odd...

Duff

"I love acting, its so much more real than life" Oscar Wilde
July 24, 2005 10:34AM
Is Conor the kid in 'Neighbours' who used to be the kid in 'Home and Away'?

July 24, 2005 11:39PM
1. kiwi and aussie accents are completely different. thats like saying a scouse & a geordie sound the same.
2. american accents & canadian accents are different as well... i literally had someone in my store today ask me why i didn't sound like george bush if i was american. i looked at him and i was like, 'i'm not from the south. why don't you sound like colin farrell?' and i handed him his cd and shooed him on his way. i can't believe how stupid some people are.
3. my favourite is when americans are like 'i don't have an accent. everyone else has accents'... lmao. its the best.
4. neighbors is gross and i don't get it. why is everyone obsessed?

-christina
July 25, 2005 12:39AM
4) Er, nobody is obsessed with Neighbours.

The only 'soap' I watch on-and-off is Hollyoaks; and thats only because it's on when I eat, it's about university life primarily, and because of the former, there are quite a few sexy ladies to ogle, pre-watershed.

July 25, 2005 06:46AM
Now why is there no mention of South African accents.

They make me melt.

*Dies very, very happily*

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
July 25, 2005 07:04AM
4) im obsessed with neighbours. so much so i gave it up for lent one year....
July 25, 2005 11:16AM
I personally, don't have an accent. I've thought it through and through, and I've come up with a very valid, fool-proof argument.

I live in New York City, the media capital of the world and the cultural capital of the United States. It's easily amongst the most famous cities in the world, and for good reason.

We in the United States speak a language (English) that is the most powerful language in the world right now, with the most people able to speak it, due in part to both British and American expansion, both economically and otherwise, throughout the course of history.

The United States was a group of fledgling colonies that beat Great Britain in our revolution, thereby becoming an independent nation and, since we won, the language became ours. Sort of the spoils of war.

Of course the "English" will say, "No, no, you moron, it's ENGLISH. We're ENGLISH. It's OUR language," and on the surface that may appear to be true, but let us not forget that English is really just a hodge-podge language that borrowed words and grammar from various Germanic tribes, threw them together, and combined them to form some sort of vocabulary. Therefore, English isn't even really English, it's really a mutt language, and since the United States won the rights to the language some 230 years ago, and because I live in the most famous city in the United States, it simply isn't possible for me to have an accent. I obviously must be speaking English perfectly.

All of my "awwws" in words, (see: dog [dawg], chocolate [chawklit]) are text-book specimens of how the language ought [awwt] to be spoken.

-Mike

Post Edited (07-25-05 20:18)

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π