ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Shotgun

Posted by fanoftheband 

Shotgun
August 03, 2005 04:48AM
I know I have been away for a while and if this topic has come up before ignore this...

This is mostly directed at the American members, but all of a sudden everyone I know (including myself) has started 'shotgunning' things and I was curious if this is something that has been around in the US for some time and whether it has just come accross to us in the UK.

Si

'Dignity consists not in possessing honors, but in the consciousness that we deserve them' - Aristotle
Re: Shotgun
August 03, 2005 04:50AM
As in shotgunning a beer?

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
August 03, 2005 04:52AM
Erm more like I 'shotgun' the front seat in the car. But it means that you get it, instead of the other person who may have been angeling for what you wanted.

Si

'Dignity consists not in possessing honors, but in the consciousness that we deserve them' - Aristotle
August 03, 2005 04:54AM
Yeah, "shotgun" has been around for a while.

I don't use it though.
August 03, 2005 04:56AM
its come over here (NI) and apparently there are hundreds of rules about but i cant find the link...

yeah we just shotgun everything

"I love acting, its so much more real than life" Oscar Wilde
August 03, 2005 04:57AM
It didn't just skip across to here; people in the UK have been saying that for a while, too. Though I think we still consider it very American.

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
August 03, 2005 05:01AM
Must just be my area, people only started saying it a couple of months ago.

Here is the link: http://www.shotgunguide.com/

A guide to shotgun in no less than 4,500 words!

Si

August 03, 2005 05:47AM
That term has been around since birth mate. Also commonly referred to as 'Bagsy'.

August 03, 2005 05:57AM
yeah thats true enough

August 03, 2005 06:23AM
I know the origin of "shotgun," but what's the origin of "bagsy?"

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
August 03, 2005 06:27AM
I've known bagsy forever but i was just curious about the word that 'replaced' it

Si

August 03, 2005 06:46AM
I used to call chavs 'townies', and my mate from Wales used to refer to them as 'scallies'. They all point to the same thing, it's just a regional difference.

Pop culture is what drives the change, we likely got 'shotgun' through the American teen drama shows like Dawsons Creek, Buffy, The OC, One Tree Hill et al... and movies like American Pie and Road Trip.

Another example; everybody refers to mp3 players as 'iPods', even though that's just a brand, and everybody refers to vacuum cleaners as 'Hoovers', also a brand.

Pop culture, shapes culture... so 'shotgun' just sort of stuck.

Post Edited (08-03-05 15:50)
August 03, 2005 06:50AM
Here's one for you. If I was to eat a 'noggy', what would I be eating?

Post Edited (08-03-05 15:54)
August 03, 2005 06:50AM
I don't know the actual origin of 'Bagsy', but it sounds like something pirates would say. [And very random but having said that, when you try to put on a pirate voice, doesn't it just turn into a Somerset accent? Makes you feel more like you want to talk about a combine harvester than a pirate ship.]

Post Edited (08-03-05 15:51)

~ Sofi ~

August 03, 2005 06:55AM
Ees eet Scawtish?

~ Sofi ~

August 03, 2005 08:06AM
An egg?

August 03, 2005 10:10AM
I kinda hate the fact that people refer to mp3 players as "iPods." Same as referring to tissue paper as "Kleenex" and adhesive strips as "Band-aids." Although, I bet if you asked most people for an adhesive strip, they would have no idea what the hell you were talking about.

Also, I want to clarify something, as far as I know calling "shotgun" only refers to the passenger side of front seat of a car. Unless you mean shotgunning a drink, which is something else entirely. So basically, to call out "shotgun" while walking to a car means to ride shotgun. At least, that's how I would use it, but like I said, I don't.
August 03, 2005 01:18PM
this thread makes me sad
August 03, 2005 05:07PM
OK.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
August 03, 2005 08:50PM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
August 03, 2005 10:23PM
If an adhesive strip or 'band-aid' is what I think it is, we refer to those as 'plasters', and I'm surprised that no other English people on this board seem to know what a 'noggy' is!

But I'm hardly going to ruin the curious mystery by simply telling you.

Also, 'bagsy' can be used in many differing ways. You can bagsy the passenger seat in a car, you can bagsy the next turn at a computer game, or the item of clothing on the rack that fits you. It's basically a word used to stake a claim on something. Anything.

Post Edited (08-04-05 07:43)
August 03, 2005 10:56PM
not that it always works mind...

August 04, 2005 12:22AM
Not always. But mostly.

August 04, 2005 12:54PM
A hot dog! And by the way everyone, I'm very sad because Boston John is spending the ngiht with me tomorrow then he's going back to Boston.... AHHHHHHHH how sadddd. WHAAAAA. Awwww boo hoooo.

~*wOOt!*
August 06, 2005 06:04AM
i dunno what a noggy is....i know what a noggin is......

everyone must also watch this cartoon is very funny... http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/255244
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π