ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hurricane Katrina

Posted by Bones45 

Hurricane Katrina
August 28, 2005 05:59AM

Category 5...Sustained winds of 187---gusts to 210mph. Pressure is still falling and there are no upper level winds to weaken it.

That is sick. New Orleans is going to be drowned and then ripped to pieces.
Re: Hurricane Katrina
August 28, 2005 01:11PM
My grandparents were hit and their house was destroyed. Sad sad things these are....

~*wOOt!*
August 28, 2005 02:06PM
My grandparents have had their condo in Florida ruined twice this season.

They don't live down there, though.

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
August 28, 2005 02:30PM
jeez, thats getting way out of control. God help all those down there that have to deal with it

Rock on...
Kevin

I wanna be with you forever, and tomorrows not too late...

"Beware the fury of a patient man" ~John Dryden
August 28, 2005 11:40PM

It's now down to a Cat 4, and I believe hit just east of the Big Easy, but New Orleans is in for a wold of hurt.
August 29, 2005 08:59AM
is everyone out?

"I love acting, its so much more real than life" Oscar Wilde
August 29, 2005 02:44PM
I have a friend that lives in a place in TX where people are going to hotels and they are all packed and people are there with their pets... one couple even brought a pot bellied pig. She writes for the paper there, so she interviewed a bunch of people.

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies it's compromise that moves us along"
August 30, 2005 03:11AM
from nbc.com

Mayor Ray Nagin has said that "80 percent" of the city is under water. He said it's 20 feet deep in some places.

damn.
August 30, 2005 12:48PM
Martial Law has been declared in New Orleans. The conditions in the Super Dome are quickly deteriorating. Getting filthy with unbearable humidity.

If you ask me, anyone who's caught looting during this deserves to be shot on sight.

-Mike

Post Edited (08-30-05 21:49)

weallgotwoodandnails
August 30, 2005 06:50PM
I know... Makes you proud to be human doesn't it. Although I heard that it was primarily to do with food, and that survival angle I can definitely understand with regard this 'looting' buzzword the media is currently throwing around.

August 31, 2005 06:48AM
Well, think about if your home was just destroyed... I can understand why some people would "loot" but if theyre taking important things and not just money and food to survive... thats sucky.

~*wOOt!*
August 31, 2005 06:54AM

At this point most people have lost everything---there is nothing left.

Its going to take months to get all the water out and years to get back to where people were. ABout a decade for the businesses.

Go ahead. Take a TV from walmart. What are you going to do with it?

Carrry it 3 miles through water to what house? to what electricity? SHouldnt you be more worried about food, water and shelter?

You want a new TV? Knock yourself out.
September 01, 2005 08:27AM
Thousands of members of the Lousiana and Mississippi National Guard members aren't in Louisiana and Mississippi.

Where are they?

You get one guess.

Children are dying in the streets and Condoleeza Rice is at the theater watching "Spamalot."

Gas prices are being gourged by oil companies in the wake of a natural disaster and our president tells us, "Don't buy it."

New Orleans is a swamp, and we're "staying the course."

Billions and billions and billions and billions of dollars.

Maybe China's licking there chops right now, getting the papers in order, and are about to dial the Treasury and say, "Yes, we'd like to cash in on 1/3 of your debt now, thanks."

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
September 01, 2005 08:52AM
MAYBE it's not a good idea to build a city below sea level in a hurricane zone.

MAYBE no-one needs a degree in hindsight to work this out.

(This makes me sound like a bitch. I do feel terrible for all the people this has affected and am very sorry for their complete loss.)

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
September 01, 2005 09:21AM
City's been there for ages. Not too many people living in it, either, comparatively speaking.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
September 01, 2005 10:36AM
Maybe not in the French Quarter, but there are plenty of people down there to make it quite a mess.

We were actually talking in my AP Environmental Science class the other day about how the destruction of the wetlands along the coast of Louisianna made the effects of the hurricane much worse than any other storm of equal strength would have been 80, not even 50 years ago. it was interesting

jeez, i hope all these people can find places to live while the city gets back on it's feet

Rock on...
Kevin

I wanna be with you forever, and tomorrows not too late...

"Beware the fury of a patient man" ~John Dryden
September 01, 2005 12:55PM
arkansas offered their national guard.

all those people arent gonna last long in that dome thats for sure.

bush came back from vacation 2 days early to make a speech days after it happened...a day late and a dollar short as always.

.amy.

im a gypsy.
im guaranteed to tear his soul apart.
September 01, 2005 02:36PM
>>>MAYBE it's not a good idea to build a city below sea level in a hurricane zone. <<<

New Orleans wasn't originally below sea level, it was the dredging and building along the coast that caused the city to sink below sea level. The river walls and dams should have been retrofitted for a category 5 storm long ago, instead they chose not to spend the money. Another interesting fact, when Terry Schiavo's feeding tube was removed Congress was called back from Vacation on a sunday night and arrived within an hour. They are still taking their sweet time returning to washington to Okay the billion dollars Bush has asked for 3 days too late. It's sad seeing that one of the "best" countries in the world can respond to a natural disaster no better than a 3rd world country. It also makes me sick when I hear an official on tv go "we failed to take into account the worst case scenario," seriously??? I'm not blaming the local government because they were yelling for support since before the storm hit, but our Federal Government seems to be doing a piss poor job.
September 01, 2005 02:53PM
Of course it's doing a piss poor job. Governments always do a piss poor job of managing things, especially ones as large as the Federal level.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
September 02, 2005 02:44PM
Thats why I want to live in New Zealand. One sheep and a few dogs... be a farmer... snowboard in the winter.... what a life.

~*wOOt!*
September 02, 2005 06:51PM
new zealand has its share of problems
September 03, 2005 02:18AM
Like what because I seriously want to go live there.

~*wOOt!*
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π