ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Laptop troubles

Posted by 3eyedaliens 

Laptop troubles
March 01, 2006 07:52AM
Anyone know of a place that would be good to bring a laptop that has problems with the back plug in? The place where you plug it in is all loose and so half the time the computer doesn't get power... haha as you'll notice, I know nothing about computers or names of the parts or anything.

It just stinks 'cause this happened with my last computer, same brand (HP). It seemed to be much better built on this one, but I guess not.

I wonder if the computer place at school would be of any help... there's lots of very smart foreign guys working there.

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies it's compromise that moves us along"
Re: Laptop troubles
March 01, 2006 08:02AM
Hit it.

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
March 01, 2006 08:25AM
I tried that. I'd like to try throwing it down the basement stairs...but I don't think that would help much, haha.

March 01, 2006 08:31AM
Well, if you've already hit it and that didn't work...

I'm out of ideas.
March 01, 2006 08:36AM
best buy geek squad i think someone on the board works for them, what brand of laptop is it?
March 01, 2006 09:34AM
HP. I think it was Eric/Frogmush that worked for them.

March 01, 2006 11:05AM
the laptop is not on warranty? you should look that, at least the names of the shops were the warranty runs, and take it to that place, or just hit it xD

"RESISTENCIA ESTUDIANTIL - VIVA LA UNIVERSIDAD!"
March 01, 2006 12:46PM
My little connector in the back actually fell off. I brought it to a mom and pop shop and they fixed it up real cheap like.

The trouble with laptops, I've learned, is that that little prong is connected to the motherboard and half the time the entire think has to be replaced, which means you may as well just buy another laptop, it costs so much.

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
March 01, 2006 01:58PM
Oy... yeah, that's what worries me. I was hoping it was just the cord because that got very damaged when it got stuck in the recliner. It still could be, because my dad just kind of randomly told me he switched the cords, and I think the one I'm using now is too big for it, or something.

Maybe I should invest in a cheap desktop... all I really want is a computer that I can use the internet and word on.

March 01, 2006 02:04PM
You probably don't have the worst case scenario going here.

I want a cheap desktop at this point, too. This is my second laptop and it isn't holding up.

I'm considering going Mac. I've tried to have people talk me out of going Mac, but I'm still leaning Mac.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
March 01, 2006 02:04PM
3eyedaliens wrote:

> Oy... yeah, that's what worries me. I was hoping it was just
> the cord because that got very damaged when it got stuck in the
> recliner. It still could be, because my dad just kind of
> randomly told me he switched the cords, and I think the one I'm
> using now is too big for it, or something.
>
> Maybe I should invest in a cheap desktop... all I really want
> is a computer that I can use the internet and word on.
>

wow that sucks and here i have 3 computers,lol. 2 desktops and 1 laptop
March 01, 2006 03:16PM
Yeah, I'd like to take it somewhere to people that know about computers that can tell me what to do because it could be the cord or the computer. But if it's not actually the cord, I don't wanna go buy a whole new thing 'cause the cheapest I found on those was $65. If the whole computer is done for, then I'd have no use for it.

Post Edited (03-02-06 00:16)

March 02, 2006 03:10AM
Mike, may I ask why? Microsoft don't build the laptops. Sounds to me like you just need to purchase from a more reputable company that can assure you better quality hardware.

In any case, I wouldn't make any decisions until the end of the year. Vista is fast approaching and so are new standards in the technologies that both OS's will be powering.

Like USB 3.0, which is dreamy.

March 02, 2006 04:10AM
Microsoft doesn't build the laptops, but they do built the OS.

I don't know. I've had trouble with laptops and PCs (all from Dell, and as far as I know they're reputable enough). Might just be I want to see how the other side lives.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
March 02, 2006 05:05AM
I'll tell you, same ****, different GUI.

I use both. Both crash, and both can be compromised, the only factor determining the Macintosh OS's resilience to the latter, is because Apple only have a 5% share of the market.

It's increasing popularity as a 'trendy' alternative to Windows is actually doing it a disservice in this area though, and the more press the company gets, the more it is targeted by hackers and exploits are written for it, as more users migrate to Macintosh assuming it's some Holy Grail of computing.

My argument would be that Windows supports a far larger pool of software, including games. I would wait for Vista before making your decision. XP is outdated compared to it's rival, and Vista would make a much better candidate for your final judgement before making a purchase.

March 02, 2006 05:12AM
What is this "Vista?"

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
March 02, 2006 05:20AM
Windows new operating system. It's debut is scheduled for the end of the year.

March 02, 2006 09:26AM
Ok, I feel stupid in asking this, but is it basically the replacement for XP? That wasn't out long. Knoowing nothing about computers though, I wouldn't really know, haha.

March 02, 2006 10:18AM
Sketch wrote:

<Windows new operating system. It's debut is scheduled for the end of the year.>

longhorn?? i heard that the new software is pretty much a copy from apple operating system , is that right?

&quot;RESISTENCIA ESTUDIANTIL - VIVA LA UNIVERSIDAD!&quot;
March 02, 2006 01:10PM
1/ 'XP' has been out for a good five years atleast.

2/ 'Longhorn' was the development codename for 'Vista'.

3/ That's popular Apple fanboy talk. If 'good looking' is a patent that Macintosh has sole ownership of, then yes, I guess thay have.

March 02, 2006 01:12PM
Linux is where it's really at, anyway.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
March 02, 2006 01:12PM
Wow, I suppose that is true. To me it seems like it's just been out for about 2 years.

&quot;It's not always rainbows and butterflies it's compromise that moves us along&quot;
March 02, 2006 01:13PM
Which one Mike?

March 02, 2006 01:16PM
I really have no idea I was just gunning for a good old fashioned OS debate.

I'll wait out Vista and see how it holds up. If it crashes while being displayed to the public for the first time, though, I might just jump ship.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
March 03, 2006 05:01AM
"(all from Dell, and as far as I know they're reputable enough)."

Mike, I'd assume you of all people wouldn't fall for the Dell craze. They're truly lackluster computers, cheaply manufactured so they can be offered at competitive prices. They're plagued with problems, and are fast gaining a reputation as faulty computers. They often times don't use enough thermal grease on their processors, which leads to the whole thing going kaput in under a year of normal use.

One of my friends has also caught them doing a bait-and-switch. He bought a desktop, and opened up to load in his graphics card and such to find that they had advertised it as a 2-something ghz Pentium 4, and he finds out it's a 2.4 ghz Celeron processor. He then checks the rest of the parts to find they're not what he ordered as well, calls them up and they tell him he ordered the base model of the computer at which point he reads off of his bill all the specs he ordered and they respond by saying he must have switched them out and been lying.

I'm very happy that I've never purchased one.
March 03, 2006 06:42AM
Hahaha that's terrible.

Death to Dell.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
March 04, 2006 08:59PM
I have a dell that makes a ridiculous amount of noise, but if you hit it in exactly the right place, it shuts up. *Shrug*

~ Sofi ~

&quot;And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name.&quot;
March 05, 2006 04:40AM
My friend once had a dell laptop... shouldn't have even been called a laptop, it was such a piece of crap. I had it in my dorm room and wanted to throw it out the window. It was another of those where if you'd hit it in the right place, it'd behave a little better... only a little, and only on the occassion.

But I don't think that was due to it being Dell... I think the last owners of the computer messed it up.

&quot;It's not always rainbows and butterflies it's compromise that moves us along&quot;
March 06, 2006 01:04AM
3eyedaliens

Yes i do work for the Geek Squad at Best Buy... That loose connector on the back usually denotes that the motherboard needs replaced. I have seen occasions where they solder on the connector, but it rarely holds up very well.

If your laptop is no longer under any kind of a warranty you would be looking at 200-500 bucks just for the motherboard part, not including labor to put it in.

Windows Vista is the new Operating System to be put out by Microsoft whenever they damn well decide to. It's pretty nifty and I have gotten some hands on with the Betas of it recently. It will be interesting working with as a Computer Technitian and having to fix other peoples ****....

and guys,,, sorry i don't post enough

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Eric
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
March 06, 2006 05:33AM
Blah... thanks for the reply, even though it's not what I wanted to hear, haha.

It has been working a lot better lately and I'm not really sure why... knock on wood. Maybe I'll just get a cheap desktop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π