ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My Short Story by Request (it's bad, don't laugh)

Posted by snowgirl2022 

My Short Story by Request (it's bad, don't laugh)
March 26, 2006 11:45AM
I have to warn you all before, there are a lot of spelling and grammer mistakes but I'm too lazy to go back and fix them right now.

Here goes...

They called her Aurora, and they could find nothing extraordinary about her. She had received high marks in school, played a few instruments in a mediocre way, and played a sundry of sports at any opportunity of free time no better. She came from a normal family as far as anyone could tell, she could never really say if she believed in any sort of god at all, and most times never created too much trouble. What one can see from the outside however, is always a false indication of the tumbling of thoughts that occur behind the average colored brown eyes.
That was what they thought of her though. She really was quite profound, but in a secretive way. She had a fantasy world where she was named Queen of the Nile. Aurora was always at the top of her game and witty remarks automatically surfaced in her thoughts when she spoke to other people. However she placidly kept them down for fear of letting anyone know she was brighter then she let on to be. She wanted to keep the world in an ignorant lull and give them no indication of her under-flowing thoughts, her mind?s pacing was better then the real scenes flowing around her anyway. Or so was lead on to believe. She was constantly deeply troubled over all the things she did not understand. Aurora hated the way the masses simply accepted things as they were. Religion, love, and human behavior, these things were the rocks deeply embedded in the river of her thoughts. Many nights had come and left again with no sleep for the pondering Queen of Egypt.
On a morning just like every other she limbered out of bed from another night of less rest then they advised, to begin her day at University. She had a morning routine that hardly ever needed adjustment. She waited by the door as her boyfriend of a quite a few moons picked her up for classes. They said the necessities to each other in the car ride, and Aurora felt the dull painful ache in her stomach as she felt every morning that something was just not right. They agreed on the same time and same place for lunch as they always did, and said their necessary goodbyes with a small kiss as she went to her first class.
As with everyday she began to daydream as her calculus teacher began to drone on an on about derivatives and difficult concepts she had grasped with ease in the first days of school, and she pictured what her life would be like if things were different. She envisioned herself rising to some sort of power and no longer being just one of the crowd. Aurora imagined herself not as one of the ?thems,? the people that walked around thinking they knew people and what was best for that. She would differentiate herself one day, she would exercise her power and will over whomever she desired, but of course she would never abuse that power. Just the thought of making her own decisions caused Aurora?s lips to curl in a mocking smirk. The idea was widely talked about, but hardly if ever exercised. That?s how they functioned, right? But she would exercise it. There was so much she wanted to change. She could see the world falling to pieces around her in her present day life but in her mind she took steps to fix it all. She stopped the Africans from contracting AIDS, she brought peace to the rioting French, outsourcing no longer became a problems. She built her family around her as well. Aurora knew she would have eight kids, knew it from the very day she could consciously think of having kids. There would be one set of twins, one adopted Asian, and all their names would have the same ongoing theme. Should it be days of the week? No, only seven of those. How about months? But those would be too feminine for her sons. She settled on old character names from video games. In all this imagining though there was never one sole person as her husband. This thought brought her mind to more difficult thoughts. However Calculus was over and she had to gather her books and meet her boyfriend for lunch.
Sitting down at the small caf? that used to make her stomach flutter with anticipation, the only thing she felt now was that empty grumbling of a stomach devoid of food. She sighed as she checked her watch with dismay. He was 13 minutes late. This happened every other day, and the slow anger began to build up inside Aurora?s chest as she thought about how he was always so predictably late and disappointing. Her mind again began to drift onto the topic of her future husband. This always troubled Aurora. She never really understood love. Was she in love? And what was love? To her, her relationship was move of a convenience. It was a ride to class in the morning, another person to foot the bill, something to do to fill up extra time. Aurora never imagined it as anything else, or maybe she never imagined it because she couldn?t. It was simply how she lived, and how could one imagine something different from what they have always experienced? She could be almost happy with most guys. Aurora was sick of being mediocre though. That did not fit into her plan of greatness. She pushed these thoughts out of her mind as she forced a strained smile at her boyfriend when he came hustling in, sloppily apologizing for now being 24 minutes late.
After a hurried lunch, they split their own ways once again and on her long walk to Government class Aurora looked back into her mind again on the same thoughts. She passed a gaggle of giggling girls, not bothering to waste the energy to look at them. They were all like each other: same fake tan, same fake blond streaked hair, same ghostly looks from not enough food and too much makeup. It was not that Aurora disliked them; she didn't waste time to come up with emotions towards robots. To her, those people were not people; just empty shells trying to be like each other. They were part of the crowd, part of the people Aurora was desperately trying to differentiate herself from to find a meaning. Continuing her walk she thought forward to what she looked as the future she must accomplish. To her, life was a game, play or get played, conquer or become conquered, kill or get killed. It was not really something that distressed Aurora at all, simply another fact, like her relationship with her boyfriend. She was always trying to go that one step further, trying to find something in life, accomplish something that would actually get her someplace. Others might have called this heartless, but this was what Aurora pictured as fulfillment. The lists of things she had in her head piled higher and farther as she pushed herself harder and towards what she thought of as better things. She sighed and pulled her hair back as she reached the end of her path and walked into the daunting brink building in front of her.
Walking into Government class, she sat down in her normal chair, the one she had sat in since the beginning of the year. She prepared herself for another boring lecture on World War II and the government policies during, something she herself had already taught herself in her spare time. Maybe there would be something new today she hadn?t caught before. No, only the same material as from the book she purchased from the school bookstore. She inwardly died a little at that point in time as she did every day. The world and most people in it expected so little out of each person.
The pain at that one realization hit her hard as she sat in that class. Doubled over, her head between her knees she knew she would no longer be a part of the world where the average were acceptable. They would not dictate her life and actions, she would no longer be just one of ?them.? That moment, which occurs everyday to all sorts of people, was the one moment that pushed Aurora over the edge. It was an average moment, a common one in the common routine of life. That?s what she was fighting though, wasn?t it? She stood up with defiance and walked out of the room, her books still sitting in their unopened position on the desk. Her teacher looked up with slight dismay and asked the class, ?Was she feeling ill??
Aurora walked down the windy path between buildings and headed straight for her boyfriends room. She had something to do that should have been done a long time ago. Striding with conviction, the breeze playfully daunted her hair as it weaved in and out of the dancing strands. So caught up in the importance of her mission she barely noticed the boy running up behind her.
?Aurora!? he shouted, trying for the 5th time to gather her attention. Her mind stewing, she turned around exasperated. ?You left your books in class and I thought you?d need them,? he told her. Her face softened as she looked into his. She had never noticed this boy before, or maybe she had. Yes, he was the quiet shy boy in the back of the room who never said much. ?My name is John.? She nodded and met his eyes as he said this while handing Aurora her books. They were blue, fading to gray around the edges. She had never noticed anyone?s eyes before so much and couldn?t begin to think of anything else. His hair tangoed in the wind as well, the tight curls unrolling in playful amusement as the breeze coiled through them. Her eyes traveled down his profile and she noticed how unique he looked. He was distinctive in such an attractive way she had never noticed before. He was different. She realized she was still staring at him as he awkwardly took a step away.
?Oh my, I?m sorry, thank you very much John,? she said quietly as she recognized she hadn?t said a word yet. Still intrigued by this new figure, she forgot everything that had just been buzzing around her mind. She held out her hand to brush against his arm, just to make sure he was real. How had she never been interested in this man before? How had Aurora never noticed that he had the same burning intensity deep in his eyes that she carried secretly in her heart? He offered her his arm, and no words were needed as she slipped her arm into his open gap. They set off at a meandering pace throughout the now calming weather, the red and orange leaves slowly drifting down behind them as if to signal a grand procession of newly found importance.
They quietly spoke of many things and suddenly Aurora felt as if she had a reason and place above the everyday pace of living with this new man John. She threw away all reasoning and accepted that here he was, with her, and they were two different sides of the same coin. No more questioning was needed and everything fell into place as was. In John she found her reason. She realized that one could find true fulfillment not by perfect tests scores, trying out for the new sports team, picking up another instrument, but by finding himself or herself through another person. The idea was totally fresh and innovative to Aurora, the girl whose life was based on fact and science; the statement that one divided by one always equaled one. She looked into John?s eyes and she saw not some capricious decision, but a new birth and a different kind of reasoning. One that said it wasn?t about beating the person next to you to complete yourself, but about following through on your own goals and aspirations to the best of your ability. Suddenly the world wasn?t so dog-eat-dog against all the others. The ?average.? They would always be there, they would always exist, and they would always try to put Aurora in one of their set categories. She now accepted that and the fact that in all that she would one day accomplish, they would always stay that same way. Aurora wouldn?t play their game anymore though. She wouldn?t compete with them to place in the highest echelon. By finding part of herself in this man, she knew it was possible to uncover so much more about her, and that was fulfillment enough for now. She thought to herself, maybe even one day they will follow?
The sun retired and the night crept through the sky, its slow dark tendrils climbing across the blood red horizon. For once, the clamoring thoughts in the girl?s head died down with the day and she accepted the moment for the pureness it carried. The couple?s arms winded together and in the scarlet glow of the setting sun, Aurora and John looked like one person, one mass traveling though the radiance towards something epochal and significant.
The others, them, they could look on all they wanted. They could call her Aurora and him John, they could find out all the hard information they wanted about these two figures. But they would never understand them. That was something they would never accomplish.

~*wOOt!*
Re: My Short Story by Request (it's bad, don't laugh)
March 26, 2006 12:02PM
March 26, 2006 03:12PM
alright aurora....err....taylor haha. not hard to decipher characters in this story ;o)

I like it! it's very much the style that i myself use, kind of philospohical and such. my only concern is that you sometimes loose focus and although i understand how you got to a point in your story it doesn't exactly make sense within the story and what you're trying to accomplish. haha i only know cause i tend to do this a lot and my teacher bitches at me so i can recognize it now. i like, very good.

Rock on...
Kevin

I wanna be with you forever, and tomorrows not too late...

"Beware the fury of a patient man" ~John Dryden
March 26, 2006 06:01PM
I have not read the whole thing yet, but what I did read was really good. You have a good way with words. I'd probably have better advice or whatever if I'd printed it out; hard to pay attention to stuff 'cause my chair is not comfortable. But what I did read I really liked. The verbs are unique; that's one thing I noticed that stood out.

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies it's compromise that moves us along"
March 27, 2006 06:30AM
My high school senior philosophy/LA teacher use to always mark me off points for overwriting in my papers. But this is creative writing and I very much liked your story/autobio anyways. Interesting, and your wording is fantasitic. I agree w/ kevin on how sometimes readers can get lost and lose the main points/ideas. Great story though. I had to look up the meanings of some of the words. Always a good exercise.

Hey, whatever happened to the first b/f? How'd you break the news and his reactions? Were you/Aurora just a convience to him too?

March 27, 2006 09:15AM

TAYLOR!!

Edit and make some paragraphs!!!

Good lord!!!!
March 27, 2006 12:02PM
Hahaha wow I'm suprised anyone read this! Thanks Kev... and Joe, and to all who did or attempted. Lou, were it not for my high maturity, I'd say some very rude things to you right now. Maybe you were only trying to help, or maybe I'm still sulking and bitter from that other post though. I love how you guys picked up on how this was totally about me.... it's weird how I don't know any of you and you did. Or maybe I'm just a bad enough writer it's obvious to all. :-P

~*wOOt!*
March 27, 2006 01:44PM
snowgirl2022 wrote:

> Hahaha wow I'm suprised anyone read this! Thanks Kev... and
> Joe, and to all who did or attempted. Lou, were it not for my
> high maturity, I'd say some very rude things to you right now.
>
Author: snowgirl2022 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: 03-26-06 20:45

I have to warn you all before, there are a lot of spelling and grammer mistakes but I'm too lazy to go back and fix them right now.

you really are a fuckiing dumb aren't you!!!
March 27, 2006 01:49PM
That's an interesting story, Taylor. You got some skillz. Although, I think you should explain the whole Queen of the Nile thing a little more. Of course, that's just becase I read "She had a fantasy world where she was named Queen of the Nile" and I think this:

And, no, it's not a perverted sexual thing.

I think.
March 27, 2006 04:38PM
"John" (character) = "Boston John"?
easy guess, no biggie fries

oh, i was bored at school and a cute story was better than staring at a wall

March 31, 2006 11:38AM
Ohhhh niceee taylor, is awesoneeee=D

"RESISTENCIA ESTUDIANTIL - VIVA LA UNIVERSIDAD!"
March 31, 2006 04:55PM
Taylor, good stuff...

Lou and Taylor... calm down guys... jeez... we're supposed to be friends here...haha

~Kevin~
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π