ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

FAO: SKETCH

Posted by The Turkey 

FAO: SKETCH
March 29, 2006 03:20PM
I'm not interested in Windows Vista. It looks to me like OSX.

But do you know anything about Windows "Vienna?" My limited research hasn't yielded too much information other than it ought to "revolutionize the way one interacts with a computer" much like Windows did the first time.

I'm intrigued, like I get intrigued by speculations about the Pyramids being built by aliens.

EDIT: Also, do you run a dual-screen interface yourself? The Dreamweaver post of yours with the image looks like it unless I'm off base. I can't imagine what I'd do with like, 4 feet worth of screen at my disposal.

EDIT EDIT: Also, also, this here IS OSX isn't it? It's all Mac-stuff going on with Windows jargon thrown in in some places. Microsoft holds stock in Apple now, right? Are they just running the ship behind-but-not-really-behind the scenes? Hell, Safari and the Mac Hard Drive icon are on there. http://youtube.com/watch?v=4pqYDJSQbvo&search=windows%20vista

EDIT EDIT EDIT: This is a better video but still it's like totally OSX.http://youtube.com/watch?v=J3AwI1mKrLs&search=windows%20vista

Now I'm almost as intrigued with Vista as Vienna.

I am so confused by things. I am going to sleep.

-Mike

Post Edited (03-30-06 00:37)

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
Re: FAO: SKETCH
March 30, 2006 03:39AM
Vienna codenamed Blackcomb is the next next Windows operating system. Vista is the bridge between XP and Vienna. Vienna is years away. That video is of the current Mac OS, with some bitter fanboy attempting humour.

Yes, I run dual LCD's. Couldn't live without the extended screen real estate. Microsoft used to hold stock in Apple, nothing that would let them control the companies decisions though.

In my experience of both operating systems, I'd still vote Windows; purely for compatibility, versatility and value for money. Personally, I'd gladly take those three characteristics over fashionability when it comes to my work and my wallet.

Post Edited (03-30-06 15:02)
March 30, 2006 04:33AM
"Bitter fanboy." I like that.

That second video on Vista really doesn't look like much of anything either, though. If the selling point is increased security and the ability to be able to look through the top-bar of your currently open program to see what's behind it, then meh.

Ever used Linux? Is it trippy? I have this idea in my head that it's like some cult experience.

And can you, say, oh, watch, say, two videos at once? On your dual-screen setup? So you don't have to sit through boring parts of one video? Because the other's there? All good to go?

-Mike

Post Edited (03-30-06 13:38)

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
March 30, 2006 05:19AM
Dual screen performance is relative to the rest of the systems power, I mostly use my secondary monitor as a slave to the first, dumping program specific floating panels on it so that I can focus on what I'm doing on the primary without having to manouveur through an assortment of windows.

The rest of the time, my secondary is what I use for instant messaging and iTunes. Since they can stay open without interfering with whatever I'm doing on the primary screen. It just makes my life easier.

Back on the Vista topic, I don't see why anyone would complain at a newer, more capable version of Windows. I also don't understand why they get grief for giving the consumer precisely what they want out of their OS. Consumers appreciate the Macs sleek aesthetic, Microsoft take note, Firefox and Opera give you tabbed browsing, Microsoft take note, iTunes launches the novel and successful platform that they call podcasting, Microsoft takes note.

It boggles my mind that when they implement the very functionality that users whine about Windows missing, that they then get **** for giving you what you wanted. I guess it comes with the territory of being the market leader, or... 'the enemy', as some would have you believe.

Post Edited (03-30-06 15:04)
April 01, 2006 06:04PM
dudes,, no

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Eric
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
April 01, 2006 10:50PM
mac=user friendly
windows=hacker friendlier

I personally love Windows PCs
Even though Apple is ultra simplified and straightforward, I feel restrained and prefer Windows' "versatility" in minipulating programs/files. Plus Windows' compatibility; I may be wrong, but I believe 60-70 percent of the world is PC.

Exception: For movie/music building/editing, I'd have to give it to Apple.

I'll buy a G5 just for multimedia composition.
But then I'd fear that the Apple wouldn't be able to see/access/share files from my PCs through my current wireless network.

Also, Apple is expensive.

April 01, 2006 11:54PM
Apple has 3.5 percent of the market share, conclude from that what you may. I also think an increasingly smaller share of the population is dependent on computer products to be "ultra simplified".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π