ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

To people who smoke weed on a regular basis

Posted by sofi123 

To people who smoke weed on a regular basis
April 18, 2006 06:33AM
Or, do LSD. But I'd imagine they're a rarer breed here.

Have you ever had any synaesthetic experiences, particularly audio-visual (ie hearing sounds or listening to music and it xausing you to visualise images, anywhere from simple colours to moving shapes and patterns, or the other way round)? Or any other mixes across other senses? Basically I'm finishing up this art project I did about synaesthesia, which is normally a permanent neological condition but according to my research can often occur temporirly when smoking pot or doing LSD, and I really need some more personal stories, but no-one I know's ever experienced it.

Alternatively, if anyone actually has this condition, or has just randomly experienced it at any point, you'd be a huge help too.

Post Edited (04-18-06 15:35)

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
Re: To people who smoke weed on a regular basis
April 18, 2006 11:52AM
if you could explain what that is (synaesthetic experiences) I may be able to help... a lot of it depends on what weed you smoke though

~Kevin~
April 18, 2006 12:14PM
Looks like a mash-up of the words 'synthetic' and 'aesthetic'. So my best guess would be that it means 'visualising attractive things that aren't real'.

I could be wrong.

Closest I come to this kinda stuff is through sunspots when I accidentally catch the sunlight in direct line of my peepers and they have to adjust to the blinding glare.

You know what I'm talking about... it happens to everyone.

April 18, 2006 03:53PM
I have a "friend" who smoked good weed for many years....About 21 years. In that process has taken alot of Acid, Mescaline, some occasional dust and cocaine which all ended after the first 4 years.
I can tell you he has absolutely no problems and he has a great career. It really depends on the person. Some experience flashbacks but I think he only experiences dazed moments. But he's a man and every guy I know has the same issues. Not paying attention that is!
I am certainly not promoting anything because the addiction can leave you broke, alone and homeless if you are not careful on how you use it.
Good luck on your search
April 18, 2006 09:14PM
Not quite. Anaesthetic - No sensation, synaesthetic - crossed or mixed sensation. Basically the reception of one sense triggers others, so hearing music might cause you to see colours or shapes or movement. You ever hear the Hendrix song Purple Haze? Under every mention of the word 'purple', he plays an E7#9 chord, because he said that chord gave him a really strong sense of the colour purple. That's kinda borderline synaesthesia.

This is the explanation of it I did, it's a little more detailed:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Between 0.5% and 3% of the population have a ?gift? that enables them to mix these senses and parts of the body together, creating almost limitless combinations of further sense. This condition is known as Synaesthesia, which literally means, ?Joined Sensation.? In ?Synaesthetes?, the use of one sense triggers neurological mechanisms, causing another sense to be activated as well. For example, some synaesthetes are able to ?feel? sounds, colours, smells and tastes. Others see letters, number or shapes, and automatically see them in certain colours. They may describe the tone of someone?s voice as a shape, or they may say that something ?smells? blue. There are almost limitless combinations and forms of synaesthesia, although the most common involve seeing colours.

Although the same effects may be created by the use of hallucinogenic drugs, such as mescaline or LSD, and it may be triggered by cannabis use, synaesthesia is completely involuntary. It is not at all metaphorical, despite many artists and writers either pretending to be synaesthetic, or using synaesthetic metaphors; the individual is not imagining the second sense, nor knowingly associating one sense with the other. They can genuinely see, smell, taste, hear or feel the primary sense. For synaesthetes who see colours or shapes because of another sensory input, the pictures they see are very geometric and uncomplicated. Some see them in their minds eye, but some actually see the colour projected onto the surface itself. Some synaesthetes even describe ?seeing? the shapes/colours emanating from the source of the prime sense, such as speakers or a piece of fruit.

Some synaesthetes are able to suppress their sensory impressions, and it may be weakened by certain emotional or physical circumstances (such as fatigue, illness or stress), but they can never get rid of it, just as true synaesthesia can never be created by those who do not have it. However, many children with synaesthesia learn to suppress it until they are no longer aware of it, when they discover that other people do not perceive the world in the way that they do. Despite there being some small correlation between synaesthetes in the most common forms of synaesthesia, the same letter, or sound may trigger completely different colours in different people. It is, however, consistent within each person; a sound that appears as a purple circle will always appear as a purple circle to them. They may also find correlation between their triggered senses, for example the intensity of a colour may increase as the pitch of the sound increases.

Although it is most common for only two sense to be involved, some synaesthetes may have a third or fourth sense included. Many different forms of synaesthesia are likely to be present in one individual, also; the vast majority of synaesthetes have at least two forms of synaesthesia. It is twice as likely in women than in men, and is genetic.

Scientists have not yet been able to explain the details of synaesthesia, and details of it vary vastly: some say that only 1 in 25000 people have it, others say as many as 1 in 10, though this would indicate that it was not true synaesthesia that the people were encountering, but sensory association.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I REALLY wish I had it. It sounds so cool. Imagine liking a song not just because it sounded nice but because it had a really good look to it. You'd be like a human abstract art music video generator.

Post Edited (04-19-06 06:18)

~ Sofi ~

April 18, 2006 11:16PM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
April 19, 2006 02:36AM
Um, Genesis, you're not an American citizen, nor do you live in the States, so why should you care about the FBI?
April 19, 2006 03:15AM
Mwahaha. It's OK, I read your post before you edited it. Cheers.

~ Sofi ~

April 19, 2006 03:58AM
Can't say this has ever happened to me

~Kevin~
April 19, 2006 05:50AM
John Mayer has synesthesia, but I don't know if he uses that when writing music. I suppose it would have an influence on him though (check out the liner notes to his CD "Heaver Things," each song has a color associated with it). Maybe you can check and see if he's ever talked about it in interviews and such. The composer Alexander Scriabin had it too. He rigged up this crazy piano that had colored keys with lights that projected the colors that were being played. I don't know if this will help you with your project, but I think it's sooo fascinating. Good luck!

-Terry yawning smiley)
April 19, 2006 06:19AM
That's great, thanks! I knew about Scriabin, but John Mayer's news to me. I think I might write about him...........

Also I just googled him and found this and it made me laugh like a loon and I have no idea why yawning smiley)

Post Edited (04-19-06 15:20)

~ Sofi ~

April 19, 2006 10:40AM
ah Ter, ya beat me to the john mayer comment.

*~katie~*
April 19, 2006 04:54PM
HAHAHAHA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π