ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

your top ten movies

Posted by great198 

your top ten movies
June 27, 2006 03:45PM
this is very much like the top ten albums thread, but with movies! here's my list. i'll give reasons why later. once again, put down yours. let's see if you people have good taste...

in no particular order:

1. "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind"

charlie kaufman is my favorite screenwriter and the most original one to come in years, possibly ever in the history of cinema. this movie is his masterpiece. it takes the ingenious concepts he displayed in "adaptation", "human nature", and "being john malkovich" and gave them a heart and soul. not only is this film highly creative, but its characters really get to you and you care about them deeply, even minor ones like mark ruffalo's character. and it's not sappy or overly-sentimental in the least. a perfect balance of comedy, drama, and everything in between.

2. "sin city"

the best comic book movie ever. it's literally ripped from the pages of the graphic novels and brought to life. everyone is perfectly casted, and rodriguez shoots, cuts, directs, writes and produces like a pro here. he's showing how good shooting on digital can be (and if he can pursuade a film purist like me, he gets props in my book).

3. "citizen kane"

every movie following this one owes something to it. it created so many conventions of modern filmmaking that it's unreal that orson welles could do that all by himself. but what really does it for me with "citizen kane" is that it holds up to the test of time. a lot of films from that period are laughable these days. not this. the ultimate classic film. no wonder many call it the greatest film ever.

4. "memento"

this is the film that opened my eyes to innovative screenwriting. it's one of those movies that you have to watch over and over and will get something new from it each time you watch it. that's what movies should do. you shouldn't watch a movie and say that you never want to see it again. repeat-viewing is a major sign of a great film. this is one. christopher nolan is a master.

5. "road to perdition"

my personal favorite mob movie. it's also my favorite of tom hanks's roles. he's very subtle and quiet, but deep and profound. and you can't go wrong with paul newman, jude law, and daniel craig as a supporting cast. but the real reason why i picked this (other than a great story and acting) is because of the cinematography. it's a beautiful film, and my fav cinematographer, conrad hall, made it that way. he won an oscar for this after he died (i almost cried when his son accepted it for him), in addition to the ones he won for "american beauty" and "butch cassidy and the sundance kid" (both great films, as well).

******* i'll complete the reasons for my other five films at a later time.

6. "garden state"
7. "reservoir dogs"
8. "being john malkovich"
9. "rushmore"
10. "the truman show"

Post Edited (06-28-06 13:56)

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

Nine Days and John Hampson music featured in my independent feature film "Will and Testament"!

Facebook Page for "Will and Testament"
IMDB Page for "Will and Testament"
Re: your top ten movies
June 27, 2006 09:50PM
#1 ---> LOVE ACTUALLY
#2 THE PRINCESS BRIDE!!!
#3 50 first dates
#4 the wedding singer
#5 THE ROCK
#6 executive decision (LUIGI is in it!!!)
#7 that thing you do
#8 shawshank redemption
#9 saving private ryan
#10 disney's alladin (trilogy)
plus a bunch others... "before sunrise/sunset"... "adaptation"... "closer"... "meet joe black"...

recent movies i've seen and really liked and have in my collection
+One Last Thing... (2005 film festival movie), about a kid who has terminal cancer, goes on television and to tell his last wish which was suppose to be to go fishing with his favorite football player, but in the last minute, changes his wish to be spending a weekend alone with some supermodel... does he get it, you must watch.
+The Shape of Things, about a nerd who gets into a relationship with a neurotic girl who systematically changes him into a hottey. The end of the movie is what really takes the cake so wait through it and you won't be disappointed (which is kinda like "garden state" where you wait for Portman to show up and change the mood of the movie).

the worst movie i've seen-- "kate and leopold"!!! no chemistry. In fact the side story between the Charlie and Patrice was more cute. A DVD i wish i never bought in my collections of 80+ DVDs. (cost me over a grand to acquire excluding my seinfeld collection)
I'm also waiting to buy all 7 seasons of freakin Star Trek Voyager ($600).

Oh, not to spam but, http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com is the best place for dvds in the US, no tax and no shipping fee, no minimum. They kinda suck when it comes to pricing and stocking brand new releases though.

oh, and eric, eternal sunshine was freakin awesome, i tried to show it to a friend but he wasnt giving his full attention so he could not follow and really see the awwwness level in the movie. his little brother did though.

Post Edited (06-28-06 07:16)
June 27, 2006 11:45PM

1. Brazil

& no particular order :

12 monkeys
Memento
Fargo
Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain (aka "Am?lie")
From Dusk Till Down
Seven
Edward Scissorhands
Pulp Fiction
the Fifth Element

--- I can't remember to forget ---
June 28, 2006 03:20AM
HMMM.. you guys need some help. But Ill give you 5 b/c I only half care about this topic.

1. Godfather-

"Santino! Come over here. Whats wrong with you? Never let anyone outside the family know what you are thinking!"

2. Fast Times at Ridgemont High-

"I was thinking about that Mr. Hand. If I'M here and YOU'RE here, doesn't it make it OUR time?"

3. RoadHouse-

"Just be nice. Until its time to not be nice. Uhhh.. how are we going to know when that is? You won't, Ill let you know. Watch you back, and each others----and take out the trash"

4. Clerks-

"Try not to suck any d*ck on the way out to the car"

5. Apollo 13

"With all due respect, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour."
June 28, 2006 04:39AM
i'm glad a guy who puts down "roadhouse" is only giving 5 of his favorite movies...

your other choices are great, though.

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

Nine Days and John Hampson music featured in my independent feature film "Will and Testament"!

June 28, 2006 08:41AM
ridgemont high was the classic and best teen movie

June 28, 2006 08:55AM
1. Almost Famous

2. Life of David Gale

3. Vanilla Sky

4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I don't really like films that much?

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
June 28, 2006 05:13PM
1. Gladiator
2. OLD SCHOOL
3. Zoolander
4. Wedding Crashers
5. Anything with Mel Gibson in it (except what women want)

Post Edited (06-29-06 19:14)

Mike Mc--

Myspace.com/macattack42691
June 29, 2006 06:02AM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
June 29, 2006 01:47PM
Genesis wrote:

> Vanilla Sky
> The Shawshank Redemption
> Reservoir Dogs
> Almost Famous
> Garden State

Mmmm lets hgang out.

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
June 29, 2006 02:34PM
I'm not gonna do a top ten list because they suck, but I just wanted to say that if you don't have at least one movie made before you were born then you really need to watch more movies.

June 29, 2006 08:04PM
June 29, 2006 08:05PM
June 30, 2006 02:49PM
and rushmore is his best one, in my opinion.

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

July 02, 2006 08:40AM
I'm gonna get shot for this but I shall put one title and one title only because i'm too tired to thing of others and because the number of times I have viewed this is quite possibly in the triple digits and it's still not old.

Independence Day.

---Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost, What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π