ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Should I Or Should I Not Be Livid?

Posted by The Turkey 

Should I Or Should I Not Be Livid?
November 02, 2006 06:54AM
One of my professors has told the class for a couple of weeks that our midterm will be on November 7th. I didn't go to class on Tuesday so I could get stuff done for another class, and apparently on Tuesday she decided the midterm would be moved to today instead.

So I walk into class, I'm like, "What the **** are all these papers for?" and BAM! Midterm exam five days earlier that it was supposed to be.

How's this fair for me? "It's not my fault you skipped last class," she says.

Should I or should I not be pissed off out of my head right now? Because I am. I'm pretty confident I got something within the B range on it anyway, but had it been given next Tuesday it would've been a guaranteed A because that's how I roll.

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
Re: Should I Or Should I Not Be Livid?
November 02, 2006 07:20AM
What was it on?

It's bad luck and a shitty situation and probably incredibly frustrating but ultimately your fault.

Post Edited (11-02-06 16:21)

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
November 02, 2006 07:25AM
American History. I'm fine with American history normally but this woman has only spoken about factory workers on the lower east side of Manhattan not having houses with windows all semester.

I fail to see how it's my fault when the midterm's been scheduled for the 7th for weeks and she decides two days before today that it's being bumped up five days.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
November 02, 2006 08:20AM
Better insulation.

But, it's NOT her fault you skipped your last class. And a class a week before your midterm's probably gonna be reasonably important, right? So miss it, whatever, but why not just check what you missed with someone? It's not her responsibility to make sure you know what happened, it's yours.

Yes it's stupid that what would have been a week away becomes 2 days away, but it's the same for your whole class; clearly I don't go to college so I wouldn't know, but how many people actually study for an exam more than two days before it anyway?

Post Edited (11-02-06 17:39)

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
November 02, 2006 02:56PM
At the UW, I heard it is against policy for professors to require attendance to lectures.

Was there any email sent out? Announcement on the class website? Usually a change like that calls for notification besides in-class, especially when it doesn't benefit the students.

November 02, 2006 03:35PM
I think you should slap her across the face and tell her "I'm Rick James, bitch!"

You should have asked someone what you missed. Although, moving up an exam at the last minute isn't smart either. Let's just say you're both wrong.
November 02, 2006 04:40PM
Yeah but she has a roster to stick to right! She cant just change the mid-terms as she feels right! Ok well here if a lecturer does that the students have to all be phoned and notified. So do you have a right to be annoyed YES! on the upside you were relatively prepared so YAY!!!

*Azure*
xxxx
November 02, 2006 06:46PM
Crazy, I would be mad, she cant just move around an imporant test. Surely there would have been people away from the lecture because they were ill or something. The proffesor should have, at the least, sent an email out.

Si

'Dignity consists not in possessing honors, but in the consciousness that we deserve them' - Aristotle
November 03, 2006 03:05AM
Things like that are illegal at University of Kentucky
contest that test
November 03, 2006 10:48AM
Yeah that is very unfair. The other day when I went to class, the professor started typing stuff on a powerpoint on what we'd do that day and she put something about a midterm and I thought ohh no what if it's today.... but it wasn't.

But yeah that is very evil to put it up 5 days... doesn't she know most people plan ahead of time to procrastinate? And there are maybe some people that would have used all of that time to study.... not anyone like me but maybe some people.

If I'm gonna be gone, I'll usually message someone on facebook and ask what went on.

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies it's compromise that moves us along"
November 03, 2006 11:34AM
I'd be so pissed. I'd quit or something. That's not cool at all and so what if you missed one class. She should have given more word ahead of time. Argh I'm enraged.

~*wOOt!*
November 03, 2006 07:07PM
w00t understands.

We're soul mates.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
November 04, 2006 03:31AM
That's actually unethical... and probably against your school policies. First check her syllabus...then I'd take it to an advisor or honor court or something of those sorts. Actually her department head would be a really good one to take it to. Trust me, if enough bitching is done, then so be it. Wait for your grade first though, because I fear she would make an impossible test for you if you were to give her a bunch of grief.

~Kevin~
November 04, 2006 05:31AM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
November 04, 2006 08:36AM
I'm glad Mike finailly realized we were meant for each other.

~*wOOt!*
November 07, 2006 09:35AM
The syllabus is the outline of the course and is subject to change however the prof. sees fit, especially since the prof. was the one who made the syllabus to begin with. At least at my school, attendance to lectures was not mandatory (hard to do when you're in a lecture hall with 300-700 other students) but was strongly encouraged. If you miss a class, for whatever reason, it is still your responsibility to find out what you missed. In most cases prof.'s give out their school email addresses so that they are reachable in the event of an emergency you can contact them. If there was a valid reason for missing class a student could email the prof. and ask what they had missed.
November 07, 2006 11:57AM
But if the professor tells the class for weeks that the midterm is going to be in X number of days, she can't decided TWO DAYS BEFORE that it's going to be bumped up five days.

It's preposterous.

-Mike

weallgotwoodandnails
November 08, 2006 04:07PM
Yeah I think you should take this up!! Even if you did do pretty well on it regardless of her actions its still unfair and goes against the student international constitution. Did you get the results for the paper yet?

*Azure*
xxxx
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π