ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Small favour - define existence, please.

Posted by sofi123 

Small favour - define existence, please.
November 12, 2006 03:58AM
Without using a dictionary.

Existence - n. ................................................

Thankyouplease.

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
Re: Small favour - define existence, please.
November 12, 2006 04:03AM
To be?

---Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost, What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind---
November 12, 2006 04:32AM

waking up every morning and being grateful
November 12, 2006 11:22AM
Existence is what I'm best at.

November 12, 2006 01:56PM
being here

~Kevin~
November 12, 2006 04:41PM
being remembered

November 12, 2006 09:13PM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
November 13, 2006 05:40AM
Alternatively you could write my philosophy of religion essay?

~ Sofi ~

November 13, 2006 05:42AM
November 13, 2006 05:50AM
a) It's only losely related to existence. I genuinely need to know a variety of definitions of existence for it.

b) I'm, like, 16. I still have 'teachers' and 'homework' and ****. Thou shalt not overestimate me.

c) When did you get so highly moralled? yawning smiley)

~ Sofi ~

November 13, 2006 04:03PM
November 14, 2006 07:21AM
I bet you eat babies.

~ Sofi ~

November 14, 2006 04:22PM
November 16, 2006 07:22AM
the a priori assumption of everything you can see, touch, smell, hear, think about (if only as a thought, it still exists). put another way, the a priori assumption of everything our mental representations are representing/trying to represent.

the problem with looking at it this way is that when we talk about a thought as an existing 'thing', thoughts then become sufficient, i.e., we don't need the outside world (which supposedly causes the thought) to explain our experience of the world. Descartes recognized this. when we touch something, what we experience is not the thing itself, but a mental representation of the thing. so, if all we have are our representations, how can you say anything exists, much less explain what existence means. if we assume it means something when i say something 'exists', then the only genuine claim we can make of existence is that it is the underlying attribute we assign to everything we have mental representation of (which seems a bit circluar).

so from the epistemological perspective, existence is the quality of being we ascribe to the objects of our mental represenations.

of course, things start to make sense when we start talking pragmatically. i have a mental representation of a chair. i assume it exists. i reach out to where i think the chair is and get a tactile representation of it...support for its actual existence. i sit down. i dont fall on my ass, which further supports the claim that the chair exists. so its not hopeless. if we think about stuff for a while and then go live in the world, we avoid all the anguish of someone who only thinks.

this is a bit too stream-of-conscious to be definitive, but i think itll get your mind turning.

Post Edited (11-16-06 16:33)
November 16, 2006 07:35AM
and heres a Wikipedia link...in philosophy, the study of exisence/being is called ontology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology
November 19, 2006 05:06AM
no takers to discuss matters philosophical? that sucks.
November 19, 2006 05:39AM
November 19, 2006 08:04AM
Maybe we could have a conversation about it when I don't have 2 essays about the ontological argument for the existence of God and 2 on virtue ethics due in 3 days.

But if you wanna talk about philosophy...I met Peter Vardy on Friday. He's a bit of a racist bigot for someone so enveloped in ethics. And he's obsessed with the female body. To the point that he referenced it 6 times in a lecture about God. Woo.

~ Sofi ~

November 19, 2006 10:27AM
st. anselm? i took a class in college simply titled "God", and we spent a couple days on st. anselm's proslogion. his argument gets a little messy because he assumes existence is a perfection. in other words, something that actually exists is more "perfect" than something that doesnt. the meaning of "perfect" is not very clear here. plus, its a pretty bold claim that the veracity of the proof hinges on. not the best foundation to lay when attempting to simply and clearly prove God's existence.

of course, st anselm does have a lot of great things to say, and it must be remembered that he is trying to understand from within faith. "i believe that i may understand." faith is always a leap. there will never be a proof that cannot be denied by someone for the existence of God. yet, believers need not worry since the existence of something is not dependent on one's ability to prove its existence. if nothing else, its thought provoking.

as for Peter Verdy, a) ive never heard of him (i majored in philosophy in college but was mainly concerned with the more classic philosophers) and b) talking about him, whether hes a bigot or not, would be talking about a philosophER, not philosophY. for me at least, talking philosophy is more interesting than gossipping about aholes. dont let him ruin philosophy for you.
November 20, 2006 06:05AM
Anselm, Gaunilo, Decartes and Kant.

~ Sofi ~

November 20, 2006 06:10AM
Hmmm, I've really been thinking about studying philosphy in collge.

---Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost, What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind---
November 20, 2006 06:45AM
All studying philosphy has done thus far is make me an even better procrastinater.

~ Sofi ~

November 20, 2006 12:48PM
gaunilo wrote the reply to anselm about the island, correct? his criticism has problems of its own. descartes is pretty good, especially in the beginning, but then he makes some questionable leaps. and kant is an absolute beast. good luck with him. i took an entire class on his "Critique of Pure Reason"...it was insane. extremely challenging, but, once you start understanding the vocab he uses, it starts to make sense. however, i wouldnt spend my free time or money on Kant.

good to hear it, musicdude. at least take an intro course or whatever lower level course you can get into without having to major in it. try it out. if it tickles your fancy, go for it. of course, one thing to consider is your future. a degree in philosophy is definitely valuable...i couldnt imagine not having majored in it. itll teach you how to think, how to learn, the limits of reason, the logic of arguments, etc, etc. however, as a degree it is not explicitly valuable in the business world. youre not going to find many companies asking for philosophy majors like they would for mbas or architecture degrees. you just have to decide what you want to do.
November 21, 2006 03:24AM
TRANSFERABLE SKILLLZZZ.

~ Sofi ~

November 23, 2006 09:03AM
Well I finished it and it's awful, if you wanted to know.

~ Sofi ~

November 26, 2006 09:10AM
the paper was awful or its subject matter or philosophy in general??
November 28, 2006 05:50AM
The essay.

~ Sofi ~

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π