ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My Own Advice

Posted by The Turkey 

My Own Advice
November 29, 2006 04:12AM
Inspired by cornmouse's thread on grad school.

Here's my deal.

I was solely a political science major with hopes of going to law school for a couple of years but upon noticing that all of my electives were in history, I added that on as a second major, leading me to go to college an extra semester.

This upcoming spring semester will be my next-to-last which means I've got to figure out what I want to do in terms of grad school and the like. And therein lay the problem.

I've known and have had people tell me for years I'd be a good lawyer, but the more I'm around people aspiring to be lawyers the more I realize why people don't like them. I'm confident that I'd be good at it, and God knows there's nothing I appreciate more that a good heated argument that I know I'm going to win, but I really don't know if it's what I want to do.

I've developed an insane love of history and the interpretation of it and being a college history professor seems like a dream job to me next to rock star or brewmaster or something. Being a professor just seems incredible to me. 90K a year for 15 hours of class time a semester with time off for the winter and summer, plus you write books. My English History professor right now is only teaching one class this semester and spending the rest of the time on fellowship researching a book she's writing in a field that she loves. She's gotten to travel Europe (which is something I've been dying to do for a while now) and spent the summer in Scotland looking into and Irish-Scottish aspect of the book she's writing.

For about a year now it's risen above political science for me up until this semester when I was sucked back into political theory and my off-kilter pet-peeves that have to do with it. And it's that dual-personality thing that's driving me bonkers. I love to get flustered over something in an argument, even when I'm wrong and have to face what makes me wrong, but history just seems like some chill venture; it's like studying some novel that lasts for centuries.

Writing isn't much of a problem for me since I'm superb at it (forgive me if that seems arrogant but I really can't find another way to describe my talent in this regard).

But I've got my clock ticking away and have no idea which way to go. I've got friends who knew as soon as they enrolled in college what they wanted to do and I've got others about to drop out because they have no idea. When I enrolled I wanted to be an English literature major, then a psychology major, then an English major, then a political science major and then I coupled it with history and I'm happy with the two of them, though English will always have a lovely place in my heart.

If any of you actually read this, I thank you. If anyone wants to offer advice, I thank you more. As I finish this post it seems more cathartic than anything, though it doesn't answer any of my questions.

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
Re: My Own Advice
November 29, 2006 05:59AM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
November 29, 2006 06:29AM
NICE.

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
November 29, 2006 07:09AM
i don't think there is any advice. i was in the same boat and i seem to have found myself back there again. when i graduated with no life plan, i ended up going for a temp. job until i figured something out for real. i ended up getting a real job from it, and i love it. who wouldn't want to play with make-up all day?
but...i still really love forensics. i go play at the MEs office once a week. westchester is intersted in me as a forensic scientist...sooo where do go?

*~katie~*
November 29, 2006 09:08AM
I kinda feel the same way about what college to go to and what to study. Don't know what to say but I know the feeling.

Post Edited (11-29-06 18:21)

---Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost, What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time? What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind---
November 29, 2006 03:42PM
being a recent college graduate, my point of view is that a person should try their damnest to get a career in the field that they went to school for. otherwise, that would make college a total waste of time and money, right? i know that's not the same for everyone. there are people i know who went to school for something like biology and ended up with an office job. as for me, my degree was in radio-tv-film, and it's something i'm passionate about, so my goal is to get a job in that field. currently, i have a freelance job as a camera operator for video conferences and the such, and i'm loving it. i'll probably be getting a 9 to 5 video editor job, too, and i'll love it even more.

bottom line is that you have to pursue what you're passionate about (just make sure what you're passionate about pays, even if it's a little), and if you don't, it'll slowly kill you from the inside out.

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

Nine Days and John Hampson music featured in my independent feature film "Will and Testament"!

Facebook Page for "Will and Testament"
IMDB Page for "Will and Testament"
November 29, 2006 04:09PM
Well yeah I agree, it is difficult. I was doing my BSC in biokinetics only to discover that I was a good writer, so now im in advertising as a copy writer and do general PR. But in copywriting you have to defend your campaign so maybe if you are a kick ass writer and I find you pretty witty you could look into that.

Good Luck

*Azure*
xxxx
November 29, 2006 04:57PM
Mike,

Went to school as a forensic science major.

Switched to Athletic Training.

Switched to Sports Management with a business minor.

Now I feel like I'd really like to major in Spanish Communication or in Criminal Justice studies. I love learning (as long as the subject material isn't dry such as Business... just doesn't do anything for me.)

I have a lot of passions in life. Sports being one that consumes a lot of my time and I think ultimately I want to be around sports. My plan is to get the Sports management degree. Get a job, and after a year decide whether I want to go back to school and get that other degree or not. Ultimately, follow your feelings and thoughts man, if they professor job seems like a dream job, take it. I've had at least 5 professors off the top of my head that have already had a profound impact on my life, and I think that would be very fulfilling as well.

Sleep on it, pray about, and the right answer will come.

PS- I actually read the whole thing you wrote and am quite pleaed with myself.

~Kevin~
November 30, 2006 06:53AM
It must be nice to have a passion for something.
December 03, 2006 01:24AM
ditto
December 03, 2006 06:52AM
I think even if you were completely sure about what you wanted to do you'd still battle with the same occasional insecurities about it. If you invest that much emotional energy into pretty much anything it'll always worry you in some form.

I don't think you really have the issue of having to choose between subjects; if you're as passionate about them as you seem, you'll find a way of fitting them into your life. Being a lawyer doesn't mean you have to stop reading or learning about history, it simply means you won't be getting paid for it. Being a history proffesor doesn't mean you'll never get into another heated debate in your life. Things interlock - last week I went to a chemisty lecture about Aristotle and a philosophy lecture about biology and physics. So don't freak out that if you pick one you'll be losing the others.

So if you wanted some kind of practical solution, and you really are equally passionate about them all, I'd suggest you pick whichever field you are least able to see yourself doing as a hobby. That way you can continue persuing the others beside your work.

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
December 03, 2006 07:05AM
Also, my mother has worked in training lawyers for the past 10 years. It's not about debate, or ethical standing, or even presenting arguments the majority of the time. 95% of their work is pure paperwork and technicalities. Just, Very Well Paid technicalities.

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
December 07, 2006 02:44AM
You will find your way I'm sure of it!!
You may want to teach to some capacity but you will finally have to learn to be patient>>>>LOL
Not everyone is as grammatically gifted such as you!
You do have a knack for writing and debate so political writing may be a good fit for you.
I would go for the political writing because you would make tons of cash.
Hey just look at your competition...
Anyway Mike you will do fine just don't get caught in the situation where your 40 and still searching..
You have a year and it will go fast so make your moves now to try to get some training in the area before you get there!
Good Luck Dude!
December 08, 2006 12:49PM
There is no reason that you could not continue to explore each field. If you choose to become a professor you can still study political science and history at the same time. In all likelihood you'll actually be a better professor for it. Dual specialties can only help you when looking for a job as it shows both intelligence and dedication. Also, because of the basic nature of areas you have chosen to study you could easily synergize them in a classroom/college lecture setting (especially at a smaller college). I guess my suggestion would be to go with your new passion. In all honesty if you go so far as to get a Ph.D in history or political science and start teaching only to find yourself unhappy law school would still be a viable option and you'd have a great foundation to work with going into it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π