... was fantastic. First the setlist, then the details:

Favorite Song
If I Am
Suddenly
A Girl in California
Bob Dylan
29 Year Old Girls
Muddy Water
New Shoes (which was phenomenal to hear live!)
Good Friend
So Far Away
Absolutely/Sweet Home Alabama
All Along the Watchtower

First of all, Stroke 9 was pretty awesome, too, and they did a hilarious cover of that Bloodhound Gang song (the Discovery Channel one) at the end of their set.

Then Nine Days came on, and it blew me away. I saw them four or five years ago in Kenosha, WI at Carthage College right when Sony dropped them. That didn't stop them from having a great show. At that concert, they told the audience to find SHU online and download before Sony could get its grubby hands on it for good. We all know how that turned out with everyone able to get the SHU tracks and the band putting out new music since the incident.

So, back to Manitowoc. Some highlights:

- The mayor of Manitowoc introducing the band
- Jeremy playing sax on a number of songs
- A male banjo player (I think he was a local) playing on Muddy Water
- A 12/13 year old female violinist (another local I believe) playing on a number of songs, including Muddy Water
- John coming down off the stage during Absolutely and having the crowd sing along into his mic
- Brian with a beer in his hand between every song
- Stroke 9 coming out for the last song (All Along the Watchtower) and jamming with Nine Days (and the singer from Stroke 9 was rapping some song, I'm not sure what it was)
- When All Along the Watchtower ended, it started to rain, and as John put it: "Perfect timing".

The Kenosha show back in the day was great, but this one was just sensational. They definitely need to come to the Midwest more. Hopefully, they'll be able to now that they're really back into the swing of things. Unfortunately, I had to work the night of the Milwaukee show the night before, but I'm glad I was able to see them again.

Also, I'm pretty sure I was the only one there who sang along to every song.

Kudos, gents... kudos.

Post Edited (06-18-07 21:40)

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

Nine Days and John Hampson music featured in my independent feature film "Will and Testament"!

Facebook Page for "Will and Testament"
IMDB Page for "Will and Testament"
Re: Last night's Manitowoc, WI show...
June 17, 2007 08:11AM
wow!

------------------------------
"now shut up and listen to the music!" by John Hampson

June 17, 2007 02:20PM
Haha, ya know I sort of looked for you at the Milwaukee one since you mentioned going to the WI ones. Sounds like that show got a lot of extras that Milwaukee didn't.

I agree that New Shoes just sounds awesome live... for some reason I didnt like that song the first time I ever heard it but it definitely grew on me. 29 Year Old Girls also sounded really cool... it gives me chills now listening to it after hearing them play it live.

Did you get to meet them? I nearly chickened out but decided against it and Jeremy noticed us kinda standing back by the wall and introduced himself.

It was kinda funny, John actually recognized me, and I think it may have been because of that pictures page Lou has up.

Anywho, sorry to take over your post with my stories, haha... it was just so exciting.

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies it's compromise that moves us along"
June 17, 2007 03:33PM
3eyedaliens wrote:

> Did you get to meet them? I nearly chickened out but decided
> against it and Jeremy noticed us kinda standing back by the
> wall and introduced himself.
>
> It was kinda funny, John actually recognized me, and I think it
> may have been because of that pictures page Lou has up.
>
> Anywho, sorry to take over your post with my stories, haha...
> it was just so exciting.
>

PEOPLE IF YOU GO AND SEE THEM, GO UP AND SAY HELLO THEY DON'T BITE!!!
June 17, 2007 05:24PM
No they don't at all...haha I knew they were cool like that from what I've heard from people on here but I was still nervous... very glad I didn't chicken out.

June 17, 2007 05:34PM
I totally agree, it was an absolutely INCREDIBLE show. I'd have to say this will be one of my favorite summer memories ever...they were simply some of the most passionate and energetic performers I've seen yet. I waited around to see them, got my SML album signed by all of them, and got pictures with John and Brian. Definitely worth the eight years I've been a fan to finally witness their show!!

And by the way, Eric, I was standing in the front row also singing along to every song :-) (I think I was the only sober female up there)

Thanks guys, you were amazing! Come back to the Midwest and play more often for us!!

June 17, 2007 05:52PM
Aww, I didn't quite get all of them to sign... Vinnie was elsewhere, for some reason. But it was still very awesome that the other four signed 'em.

I definitely agree that they should come back to the midwest more. smiling smiley

June 18, 2007 12:21PM
i was going to say hi to them and tell them what a great show it was, but there were a ton of people trying to see them (which i totally appreciate!) and the people i was with kind of wanted to go. it was okay because in kenosha, i had all of them autograph my Madding Crowd, and i shot the **** with them a little then.

and it was good to know that someone else was singing along with me!

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

Nine Days and John Hampson music featured in my independent feature film "Will and Testament"!

June 18, 2007 12:23PM
also, ethiessen, where are you from? i, myself, live in west allis and it was about a two hour drive.

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

June 18, 2007 02:33PM
That is cool that there were so many people waiting to meet them... there were about 3 other people hanging around after the show on Friday. We were surprised there weren't more.

June 18, 2007 05:22PM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
June 19, 2007 11:08AM
wow. sounds better than the chicago show.
June 25, 2007 04:07PM
I'm from Crystal Lake, IL, about 1 hour northwest of Chicago, making it a 3 hour northeast drive :-)
June 29, 2007 08:17AM
it was worth it, though, right?

~ Eric of Wisconsin ~

July 06, 2007 01:26AM
heck yes!! like there was any doubt in my mind...
This summer's Manitowoc, WI show...
September 14, 2007 04:03AM
I've was aware of this forum but didn't take the time to post anything until now. NineDays' summer gig in Manty is more or less old news by now, but I'll throw down anyway that it was indeed a most excellent show. But also, the guys, John and Jeremy, just seem to be all around good blokes. In the few interactions we've had with them they have been sincere, thoughtful, funny and genuine...there is no artifice, arrogance or ego BS with those cats, which might be a little odd given the significant musical talent that they are gifted with. They're easily one of better bands out there right now and I wish them every bit of success and good fortune. I gotta make some coffee now!
David

Eat, drink and be caffeinated...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π