ninedaysMORE | built by the community
Built by the community.

Home   Updates   Browse   Forum

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Help me Buy a New Car KTHXBYE

Posted by The Turkey 

Help me Buy a New Car KTHXBYE
November 07, 2007 05:57PM
My third heavily-used (read: all with over 200,000 miles on them when I bought them) car in four years just suffered an injury to it that will cost more to repair than the car is actually worth. The first two, it was just like, ****, might as well just get another old car instead, but I don't want to now so I'm going to finance a brand new (read: 2007 so not technically brand new but still not driven) car.

I don't know a ton about cars and that's why I like when my mechanic says, "No, don't fix this it's shitty and it'll cost too much," so I would like some advice from the more experienced here.

I'd like a cheap car (read: $20,000 maximum) that gets some nice gas mileage (read: 40 highway, preferably in real life) and has some decent cargo space (read: SUV-size storage) that I can also use to turn heads (read: race Asians and Guidos driving expensive cars down Francis Lewis Blvd in Bayside, NY).

Now, I'm more of a city driver and driving on the highways around New York City is like driving in a city like Denver anyway as far as my estimate goes, so I do not need to climb over mountains or go 0-60 in 1.4 seconds.

Right now (read: the decision to make this purchase was made in a blind rage this morning) I'm looking at some silly small (read: European-style small) cars such as the Toyota Yaris and the Nissan Versa. The Versa boasts some serious interior space and storage space, when the rear seats are folded down, of something like 50 cubic feet which is something akin to an average SUV (read: I believe everything I read on the internet.)

Do assist me!

Thank you.

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
Re: Help me Buy a New Car KTHXBYE
November 08, 2007 12:31PM
I'm car shopping myself. I'm a compact car type person and I'm considering the Corolla, Civic, and Subaru Impreza. The Impreza dosent get the gas mileage of the Civic or Corolla but has better safety features, and is rated higher in safety by Consumer Reports. Also I've been borrowing my parents car (a Subaru) and my dad's to the point where he dosent want me in anything but a Subaru.

I've just moved across state lines, so in terms of the AWD that Subarus get, I have no idea what kind of winters to expect.

As for you, have you looked at the Toyota Matrix (which I think is a Corolla with a different body) that has more cargo room than a sedan.

Consider looking on websites like Edmunds.com, KBB (Kelly Blue Book), MSN autos, Yahoo Autos, etc. Also the COnsumer Reports guide on cars is out. YOu can't get that for free online, but check it out at the library, or just park in a BOrders/Barnes&Noble for a few hours and look through it.

Good luck, and keep us updated what you end up driving.
November 09, 2007 09:10AM
A bunch of my friends drive the Toyota Yaris and I think they're pretty awesome cars. But from what it sounds like very much not what you're looking for. Yes to the mileage, no to the space. But theyre small and compact and ALL THE SPACE YOU REALLY NEED!

~ Sofi ~

"And so tomorrow there will be another number for the one who had a name."
November 09, 2007 02:23PM
yaris is the best dude... My mom bought mw one of those, I'm waiting it... but a lot of my friends have one its great, cheap, beutiful and pretty good, great car smiling smiley... theres a lot of models, my mom got me the BELTA model... its the bigger, you should see it

"RESISTENCIA ESTUDIANTIL - VIVA LA UNIVERSIDAD!"
November 10, 2007 08:54PM
Message deleted on 2015-09-05 06:30:16 PDT
November 11, 2007 04:16PM
Right, well I went ahead and got a lease on a Nissan Versa, (AKA a Tiida to you non-North Americans).

I like it quite a bit but have to get used to it not being as gigantic and dumb as my Maxima was.

-Mike

Go listen to my band. We're awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/rosencrantzny
weallgotwoodandnails
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

ALL COPYRIGHTS BELONG TO RESPECTIVE COPYRIGHT OWNERS 1995 - 2009. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Site Layout, Design, & Support by J&S Productions Copyright 2006 - 2009. All Rights Reserved.
For All Inquiries Email [email protected].

π